HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2010, 05:52 AM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubd View Post
I'm running a A50-12L with a 6S 5000 pack and 19x10E prop and it has great performance. Climbs with authority!

I agree with Steve, ditch the 26 gauge wiring, especially if you're using high torque servos.
hmmm have that setup sitting here NIB twice. One will go in the 72 Extra and for the other one i really need to order a 70 slick i think
starzen is offline Find More Posts by starzen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 27, 2010, 05:54 AM
Pushing the envelope
Valatie, N.Y.
Joined Jan 2006
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
what prop are you using? apc, xoar, something else?
I'm starting out with a Turigny elec. 18X10.Some claim to be the same as Xoar props.
Nicoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Nicoflyer
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:38 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoflyer View Post
I'm starting out with a Turigny elec. 18X10.Some claim to be the same as Xoar props.
they are most definitely not the same as xoar. they will give you somewhere around 150 watts less on this size setup. i started with a turnigy 19x10e prop and get 1500 watts on the a50-12l on 6s, and then used a xoar 20x10 and got 2000+ watts. i really think that 1 inch should not make a 500+ watt difference
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:07 AM
USA, FL, Stuart
Joined Jul 2009
2,723 Posts
Quote:
they are most definitely not the same as xoar. they will give you somewhere around 150 watts less on this size setup. i started with a turnigy 19x10e prop and get 1500 watts on the a50-12l on 6s, and then used a xoar 20x10 and got 2000+ watts. i really think that 1 inch should not make a 500+ watt difference
the watts alone of course dont say anything. without the thrust. would be interesting to see a well done comparison of different props
starzen is offline Find More Posts by starzen
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:27 AM
Acton, MA
Joined Sep 2008
239 Posts
Motor timingnoise?

I just recently maidened my 70" at the NJ throwdown. The first few flights, I didn't notice any problems, but now I think I am having some motor timing noise. You can hear the noise in several spots on this video (most of it is out of focus as I gave the person some bad instructions on operating the camera).

Hacker/ICE timing noise (1 min 49 sec)

My setup:

Hacker A50-12L
CC ICE 100
CC BEC Pro
8s (2x 4s, 4000 Mah, FlightMax, 20c)
Xoar 18x8

At WOT I get just under 2700 watts at about 90A. A bit more than I need (or know what to do with). In the future I may go down to 6s, single battery setups.

I have the motor leads soldered to the ESC leads.

I have the USB link for the ICE and that is how I have been programming the ICE. I have fixed endpoints (JR9503), and I had to reverse the motor rotation.

All other settings were at the default settings (outrunner mode, medium motor timing) when the noise started. I have turned off logging, and tried low motor timing. I haven't tried changing PWM from outrunner (I had some trouble getting the Castlelink working at the field this weekend).

You can clearly hear something in the various clips. At 1:10 you can hear a little bleep as I start to apply power. The noise occurs mostly when I am going vertical or in a hover. It doesn't seem to occur when I am in a KE spin, but maybe the normal KE spin noises are masking things.

I hear two different types of noise. One is a static like noise and the other is a bit of squelching or beeping.

Any suggestions? I'll be out this weekend to experiment with PWM settings or whatever else you guys can suggest.

As far as motor temps (it was in the high 80's last weekend), I am measuring anything from 115 to 135 degrees depending on where I point the temp gun. The middle of the can always seems to measure 110 to 115 degrees, even though my fingers tell me it is hotter. The back end of the motor where it is black seems to measure 135 degrees F. Is there something about the color or the coating on the can that prevents accurate measurements? The ESC seems to come down very cool.

Other than the noise, the 70" flies extremely well for me. I've been know to break a few gears on my smaller planes, but even my landings looks pretty decent, as long as I stay out of the cornfields (Yes, I did that, but it is still flying).

Thanks,

John
FlyingDreams is offline Find More Posts by FlyingDreams
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:25 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Oct 2004
757 Posts
Is anyone using Xoar 20x8 props? I just bought a couple for this plane.
Husafreak is offline Find More Posts by Husafreak
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:36 PM
Hovering my 85" Katana
Austin, Texas
Joined Mar 2006
924 Posts
Quote:
Jumping 1 inch on the same pitch prop can make a significant difference in watts. 500 watts in not out of the question. I have tested a bunch of planes, checking watts and thrust. The natural jump if you want to take a smaller step is to go up one inch in diameter and drop pitch by 2 degrees. This will step up watts, but at a lesser amount than jumping diameter and keeping the same pitch.

The comment that thrust is the real difference is the real answer. There are so many variables it is hard to make too general a statement regarding the right power combination.

The Slick is particularly interesting compared to other planes because of its high volume fuselage. Generally it takes a large diameter prop when compared to airplanes of similar weight, to get working prop surface outside of the frontal area of the plane. The Slick also takes about 10% more watts to get similar thrust and considerable more to get similar speed of planes of similar weight.

Search my name in this thread and you will see the results of some of my testing on a number of 70" Slicks and other planes.

I usually fly a Xoar 20 x 8 on my Slick to accommodate my flying style. The Turnigy 19 x 10 is my alternative prop. If I could get a Turnigy 20 x 8 I would.

Hope that helps.

Robert
Robert Youens is offline Find More Posts by Robert Youens
Last edited by Robert Youens; Jul 28, 2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: change Turnigy 20 x10 to Turnigy 20 x8 on "if I could get"
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:40 PM
Hovering my 85" Katana
Austin, Texas
Joined Mar 2006
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husafreak View Post
Is anyone using Xoar 20x8 props? I just bought a couple for this plane.
Yeah, the Xoar 20x8 is my favorite prop. I like to fly large diameter props on the Slick to get working prop surface outside the frontal area of the plane. I also like the large diameter to get more airflow over the ailerons.

In depends on the setup, but on my plane it really works well.

Robert
Robert Youens is offline Find More Posts by Robert Youens
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:40 PM
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined May 2010
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk View Post
This is how I do mine. Works great.

I was thinking about doing this with the 65" Vyper - fly it on two 4000mha 4S 25c packs vs a 6S 5000mha pack. What kind of flight times do you get on the Slick with the 2 packs? I'm going to run a Rimfire 1.20 and an ICE100...

Mike
3D*Flyer is offline Find More Posts by 3D*Flyer
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:42 PM
Go guerrilla
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2005
4,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Youens View Post
Yeah, the Xoar 20x8 is my favorite prop...
Xoar 20x8 has been a fav for me also. Can't justify the Xoar cost, the Turnigy props have been great for me. I do wish they had a 20x10...
jfv61 is offline Find More Posts by jfv61
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:57 PM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D*Flyer View Post
I was thinking about doing this with the 65" Vyper - fly it on two 4000mha 4S 25c packs vs a 6S 5000mha pack. What kind of flight times do you get on the Slick with the 2 packs? I'm going to run a Rimfire 1.20 and an ICE100...

Mike
I'm running a Scorpion 4025-16/ICE 100 on a Xoar 18x8, and I have my timer set for 8 minutes. I put between 1900-2200mah back in when charging. So I could probably do 10 minutes if I wanted to.
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:28 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfv61 View Post
Xoar 20x8 has been a fav for me also. Can't justify the Xoar cost, the Turnigy props have been great for me. I do wish they had a 20x10...
i only paid $25 for my xoar 20x10e, thats really not htat much considering how much $$$ is in the plane. especially when the turnigy is about $8, so its only $17
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:29 PM
USA, CO, Longmont
Joined May 2010
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk View Post
I'm running a Scorpion 4025-16/ICE 100 on a Xoar 18x8, and I have my timer set for 8 minutes. I put between 1900-2200mah back in when charging. So I could probably do 10 minutes if I wanted to.
I'm also doing a 18x8 Xoar - that is really good flight times! Maybe I should cancel my 6S 5000mha pack order (that is on backorder). Do you like flying with the two packs better than the one 6S? have you tried both?

The two packs are probably a little heaver?
3D*Flyer is offline Find More Posts by 3D*Flyer
Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:14 AM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,851 Posts
Quote:
I'm also doing a 18x8 Xoar - that is really good flight times! Maybe I should cancel my 6S 5000mha pack order (that is on backorder). Do you like flying with the two packs better than the one 6S? have you tried both?

Mike. The Rimfire only handles up to 6s. Alot of guys are doing 2 x 4s packs to make 8s. You would need to do a Scorpion or Hacker motor. You probably have 4s packs from the 330SC? The Vyper doesn't need 8s though.
I'm gonna be trying a 4035/380 Scorpion on 6s with a 19x8 xoar as soon as my buddy drops off the motor. Should test it this weekend.

Cory
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:31 AM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,894 Posts
Quote:

I've never flown it on a 6S 5000 pack, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. But the extra weight of running two 4s 4000 packs hasn't had any negative effects that I can tell. It flies very light and will just float around in a harrier. This plane handles the weight very well.....just ask the guys running the DLE 30. Those are push 10 pounds or more, and mine is only 9lbs 4oz. However, you're talking about a Vyper, which is a smaller plane.
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk