HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:29 PM
HIBDON FOR PRESIDENT !!
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala
That's cool! I need to rig up a wing bolt holder inside the plane. I have already gone out to fly and forgot the wing bolts. I keep them in my pants pocket every day now.

there are four holes in each corner of the back of the tray that work perfect for holding wing bolts I used to of them for my servo clips and the other two for my wing bolts, try it out

gofly
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:33 PM
Go guerrilla
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2005
4,899 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala
That's cool! I need to rig up a wing bolt holder inside the plane. I have already gone out to fly and forgot the wing bolts. I keep them in my pants pocket every day now.
FWIW, I always put the wing bolts in the wings (I think Ben taught me that one).
jfv61 is offline Find More Posts by jfv61
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:41 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2006
13,752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc
I used some plastic shelving clips then CA'd the male end of my servo extension from the reciever to each clip. Then I put them in an existing hole in the back of the tray and CA'd them in.

This makes it super easy with one hand to plug and unplug the servos from each aileron

gofly
OR, you could attach the end of the servo connector on the end of the wing with the small ply tabs that are attached to the string used to pull the servo extensions

3DHS 51" Slick Quick Wing Install and Lipo Restraint System demo (1 min 52 sec)
Lonelasso is offline Find More Posts by Lonelasso
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:53 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,428 Posts
Got my Slick today.....which was in record time for something coming from across the border. Unfortunately the United Postal Smashers smashed the canopy pretty good. Rob at ADCHobbyStore.com is already taking care of it though, so I just want to send a Big Thank You! out to Rob. I've dealt with other vendors in the past that have left me hanging, so I really appreciate the great service from Rob and Ben.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Last edited by G.P.; Sep 01, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:04 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Glad everything else was ok. I'd save that canopy just in case .
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:24 PM
I am UNIQUE!
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2008
1,344 Posts
Mounting a Neu 1512 2D P32 in the 70" Slick

As some of you may know I prefer to use Inrunners in my larger planes, I was going to fit a Hyperion 4025-14 in the 70" Slick originally but peer pressure and pride forced me to go with a Neu .

The Slick presents a bit of a problem if you want to go with a geared Inrunner due to the short Firewall to spinner distance, ideal for PNP Outrunner's that the Slick was designed for but not so easy to accommodate a geared Neu.

I wanted to use commonly available components and basic hand tools so that anyone could duplicate my install. All the parts were ordered from Tower Hobbies or Horizon ( including the G10) and only basic hand tools were use during fabrication (Dremel, cordless drill, screwdriver). I think I paid about $50 for all the materials I needed, the G10 fiberglass sheet was the most expensive purchase at around $32 from Tower (stock# LXA272) but enough material was left to make another half dozen mounts. I also bought 2 packs of threaded inserts (stock# LXE070) and 2 packs of Carbon fiber tube from Horizon (stock# EFLM1960), these along with the threaded inserts are used to make the motor mount spacers.

I first measured the distance from the firewall and the front of the cowl, that being the distance I needed from the back of the mounting plate to the prop driver face. I then measured the distance from the rear of the motor to the prop driver face to determine the difference. The G10 plate was 2.5mm thick X2 so I had to take that into account too.

The Carbon tubes were then cut to length and the threaded inserts ground to fit the inside of the tubes and glued in place with 1 Hr Epoxy. The front and back mounting plates were drilled for the motor mounting screws and fire wall mounting bolts and the inner holes dremeled out to fit the front of the gearbox and the motor case. The firewall center hole was enlarged to accommodate the rear of the motor and new mounting holes drilled. Once the epoxy had set the mount was assembled and the motor attached, a test fit proved that I'd measured correctly , so everything was mounted up ready to go.

RTF weight is right at 9lbs 1oz with a Hyperion 4350mAh 6s pack. I ran up the motor in the basement but only made it to half throttle before things started flying off shelves! The maiden will have to wait until the weather clears up in Kentucky, I'm thinking that the power will be adequate.

So if you have ever wanted to try an Inrunner but didn't know how, you've one less excuse now! Hope this is useful for some folk, if you have any question feel free to ask.

Mike
Fig Jam is offline Find More Posts by Fig Jam
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:27 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Looking good Mike!
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:37 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Very nice install.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:47 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,151 Posts
trying video posting.screwed up on the gig as it was 100%humidity and i grabbed camera in a hurry when my bud took my 70 slick up for a beating.the lens fogged up and it was in my camper with ac on full blast.lol
enjoy
7o aj slick thrashing (1 min 15 sec)
Manta1 is online now Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Sep 21, 2009, 10:54 PM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,493 Posts
Mike nice job which neu or you running?
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:04 PM
I am UNIQUE!
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2008
1,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy78
Mike nice job which neu or you running?
I'm using a Neu 1512/2D with a P32 6.7:1 GB, same as Josh I believe.

Mike
Fig Jam is offline Find More Posts by Fig Jam
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:08 PM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,493 Posts
Thanks can't wait to hear how it fly's
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:27 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Here's my first video with this setup. Power is ballistic!!

3D Hobby Shop 70" Andrew Jesky Slick (3 min 33 sec)
Old Sep 21, 2009, 11:37 PM
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jun 2006
971 Posts
Super slick (no pun intended) installation Mike. Can't wait to hear the flight report. Have you tried getting Steve to offer a mount like this for all of his motors? That would go a long way towards converting guys over to inrunners.

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Jam
As some of you may know I prefer to use Inrunners in my larger planes, I was going to fit a Hyperion 4025-14 in the 70" Slick originally but peer pressure and pride forced me to go with a Neu .

The Slick presents a bit of a problem if you want to go with a geared Inrunner due to the short Firewall to spinner distance, ideal for PNP Outrunner's that the Slick was designed for but not so easy to accommodate a geared Neu.

I wanted to use commonly available components and basic hand tools so that anyone could duplicate my install. All the parts were ordered from Tower Hobbies or Horizon ( including the G10) and only basic hand tools were use during fabrication (Dremel, cordless drill, screwdriver). I think I paid about $50 for all the materials I needed, the G10 fiberglass sheet was the most expensive purchase at around $32 from Tower (stock# LXA272) but enough material was left to make another half dozen mounts. I also bought 2 packs of threaded inserts (stock# LXE070) and 2 packs of Carbon fiber tube from Horizon (stock# EFLM1960), these along with the threaded inserts are used to make the motor mount spacers.

I first measured the distance from the firewall and the front of the cowl, that being the distance I needed from the back of the mounting plate to the prop driver face. I then measured the distance from the rear of the motor to the prop driver face to determine the difference. The G10 plate was 2.5mm thick X2 so I had to take that into account too.

The Carbon tubes were then cut to length and the threaded inserts ground to fit the inside of the tubes and glued in place with 1 Hr Epoxy. The front and back mounting plates were drilled for the motor mounting screws and fire wall mounting bolts and the inner holes dremeled out to fit the front of the gearbox and the motor case. The firewall center hole was enlarged to accommodate the rear of the motor and new mounting holes drilled. Once the epoxy had set the mount was assembled and the motor attached, a test fit proved that I'd measured correctly , so everything was mounted up ready to go.

RTF weight is right at 9lbs 1oz with a Hyperion 4350mAh 6s pack. I ran up the motor in the basement but only made it to half throttle before things started flying off shelves! The maiden will have to wait until the weather clears up in Kentucky, I'm thinking that the power will be adequate.

So if you have ever wanted to try an Inrunner but didn't know how, you've one less excuse now! Hope this is useful for some folk, if you have any question feel free to ask.

Mike
Warbirds Rule is offline Find More Posts by Warbirds Rule
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:16 AM
Fort Collins Colorado USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC4x4
Ok. You'll probably put it up next week. What power system are you gonna use you think. I think it should be fine on those watts. Joe's was worrying me I think because the problem with the speedo. We'll know more on thursday.

Cory
Got the Castle ICE 100 today. Its very nice. Going to sleep now but will solder everything up tomorrow. Thursday is the plan at LAMA.
Joe
jadamian75 is offline Find More Posts by jadamian75