HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2009, 03:15 PM
Team 3DHS, Hacker, Gens Ace
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Nov 2007
2,098 Posts
Just an FYI on Gorilla Glue. I did all my hinges with the "white". I also used it on the proto 89". It has worked fine.
ipsmotors is offline Find More Posts by ipsmotors
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2009, 04:41 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2007
2,221 Posts
I did all my hinges today. I used the brown Gorilla for the first time, and when I can not pull one out induvidually with one "ahhrgg" past "mmphh", then I do not see them comming off at all....

I will hopefully get servo and motor installation done tomorrow.
Captain Norway is offline Find More Posts by Captain Norway
Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:34 PM
USA, SD, Rapid City
Joined Jan 2008
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
I'll be receiving a status rept. tomorrow, I'll pass the info along.
And the status is?????????????????????????????????
Zimm98 is offline Find More Posts by Zimm98
Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:38 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
In Long Beach, as expected, I'll let you know when we get out of customs and onto the train.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:49 PM
Team 3DHS, Hacker, Gens Ace
United States, CA, Fullerton
Joined Nov 2007
2,098 Posts
Quote:
In Long Beach
I think my proto is on borrowed time now.
ipsmotors is offline Find More Posts by ipsmotors
Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:11 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
hahaha... I guess I better get my NEU motor mounted soon. Darn life gets in the way again.
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Sep 01, 2009, 02:34 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P.
Ben - can Gorrilla glue be thinned with something? Just did this on my 51" Slick and it ended up really thick. I think my bottle is just getting old.

Thanks,
Greg
We thin polyurethane adhesive at work with acetone so that it can be brushed on with a paint brush. I've never tried thinning the gorilla glue.

Craig
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:27 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,428 Posts
Thanks! I have some acetone, so I might as well give it a try.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Sep 01, 2009, 03:44 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2007
2,221 Posts
So, my 70 Slick is finished today- Hoping for maiden weather soon, but not likely. We are seing the remains of the storm you guys had. Reported low wind for tomorrow, so maybe Ic an get it done inbetween windshowers.

I read the results of my motortest off the Spin ESC today:
25.97 V (3.71V per cell)
60.1 A
1560W

That was with the 17x8 prop, and I hope I get my 19x10 prop tomorrow.

I charged up the A123 battery to test the servos at full power, and the 7965MG is much faster than I can physically move the sticks... They seem plenty powerfull as well. I have the A123 pack almost under the wingtube so that the effect on CG is not too big when I get my BEC.
Captain Norway is offline Find More Posts by Captain Norway
Old Sep 02, 2009, 04:10 AM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,530 Posts
Can someone let us know what length servo extensions we will need?

I always do the pull/pull by fixing the servo end first then do the rudder end, I find it easier to work outside the fuselage and you can crimp the tube in place. I also use fishing crimp tubes, they are two tubes welded together and I crimp about 4 vertical crimps along the tube with side cutters.

I have just received my Pacer Hinge Glue. Its a vinyl acetate polymer emulsion, can I use it for the control horns as well? or stick to epoxy?

One really silly problem I always have is deciding which bays to cut out under the fuselage for the cooling air exit. The pix are always so close up you can't see which bays to cut out. Stupid problem I know but I like to follow the instructions as close as possible and feel perhaps there is an optimum position for the cut outs?
Threshold is offline Find More Posts by Threshold
Last edited by Threshold; Sep 02, 2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2009, 08:27 AM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold
I also use fishing crimp tubes, they are two tubes welded together and I crimp about 4 vertical crimps along the tube with side cutters.
Threshold, where do you get them from?
ronrandle is offline Find More Posts by ronrandle
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:12 AM
Triple boxed goodness!
United Kingdom, Doncaster
Joined Sep 2008
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threshold
Can someone let us know what length servo extensions we will need?

I always do the pull/pull by fixing the servo end first then do the rudder end, I find it easier to work outside the fuselage and you can crimp the tube in place. I also use fishing crimp tubes, they are two tubes welded together and I crimp about 4 vertical crimps along the tube with side cutters.

I have just received my Pacer Hinge Glue. Its a vinyl acetate polymer emulsion, can I use it for the control horns as well? or stick to epoxy?

One really silly problem I always have is deciding which bays to cut out under the fuselage for the cooling air exit. The pix are always so close up you can't see which bays to cut out. Stupid problem I know but I like to follow the instructions as close as possible and feel perhaps there is an optimum position for the cut outs?
Servo Extensions: (1) 24" for Elevator, (2) 12" & (2) 3-4" for ailerons, (1) 12" for ESC
simon737 is offline Find More Posts by simon737
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:13 AM
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Threshold -

Elevator = 24"
Rudder = none (pull-pull)
Ailerons = 6-12" on each (or do like I do and use one 6" on the servo and one on the Rx)
ESC = 12"
BEC = 12"

That's my setup on mine w/ Reaper GR-60XL and HV-85.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:16 AM
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts

Stick to epoxy for horns.

On the 70", it's obvious, since they are laser-cut in the bottom sheeting. See pics in build thread which is progressing.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 02, 2009, 09:18 AM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
Quote:
ESC = 12" That's my setup on mine w/ Reaper GR-60XL and HV-85.
I've always been curious if there was a limit to how long the serv olead could be on an ESC and if lengthening caused any potential issues? I know you shouldn't change the motor lead length, but clearly that doesn't apply to the servo lead.

Ron
ronrandle is offline Find More Posts by ronrandle