Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Last edited by Manta1; Dec 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:08 PM
Ta-dah!
Texas
Joined May 2007
4,462 Posts
Matt, I hate to ask but which ESC and any ideas on why/how it failed?

Condolences
blakevan is offline Find More Posts by blakevan
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:28 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,151 Posts
I was running the ice100 from castle.dont know why it failed.carma?who knows.the capaciters were still in the unit,the thunderpower battery has 66%still in it,voltage went in,none came out to rx.electronics,it happens..i make my living on vehicles that their electronics fail so i can only bitch so much.solders were good,all connections were good.powered up rx with separate battery pack then she came alive.i think bec went toast...985 servos all around that worked great.tis one hurts tho..
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Dec 29, 2009, 10:57 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorJockey View Post
I guess it's just a matter of preference.

I have many different aircraft with the electronics powered many different ways.

I feel most secure with my 2s A123's and 2s LiFo's (same as A123s).

No electronics (BECs or Regulators) to fail. Fast charge rate. Very flat discharge rate. Redundency, 2 packs on my 9100, 1 pack connected to 2 channels on my 7000. After 4 hard flights, only 300mah used out of a 2100mah pack. If my flight packs fail or eject or my ESC cooks, I still have electronics.

I always charge my Rx at the field before the first flight (only takes 10 minutes) and regularly check throughout the day which is no different from checking a flight pack before you take off.

Fred

I take a semi different tack then what's been mentioned here. On semi bigger planes (or more expensive) I'll add a 2nd receiver and UBEC. I'll setup the left half on the 1st receiver using stock BEC and the right side on the 2nd receiver and UBEC.

I feel, for the minimal weight gane, this gives me many advantages. I'm splitting servo load across two radios ($50-70) and I can still have control over the plane if one radio dies. If it happens to be a twin engine plane (many of mine are or 4 engine) I use the BEC on each speed controller if built in or just use two UBECs.

Just my 2 cents to muddy the waters,
Carlo
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:43 AM
Fort Collins Colorado USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
Thanks for the info Manta. It really helps prevent other losses. I have been running the CC BEC in my 70" Slick with the ice 100 and 5985 digital and same setup in the 68" Velox except using the analog 985 mgs with the CC BEC. If I did it again I would go for even more overhead protection with the CCBEC Pro. It wasn't out when I bought the stuff for those planes.
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
I was running the ice100 from castle.dont know why it failed.carma?who knows.the capaciters were still in the unit,the thunderpower battery has 66%still in it,voltage went in,none came out to rx.electronics,it happens..i make my living on vehicles that their electronics fail so i can only bitch so much.solders were good,all connections were good.powered up rx with separate battery pack then she came alive.i think bec went toast...985 servos all around that worked great.tis one hurts tho..
jadamian75 is offline Find More Posts by jadamian75
Old Dec 30, 2009, 12:58 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
I take a semi different tack then what's been mentioned here. On semi bigger planes (or more expensive) I'll add a 2nd receiver and UBEC. I'll setup the left half on the 1st receiver using stock BEC and the right side on the 2nd receiver and UBEC.

I feel, for the minimal weight gane, this gives me many advantages. I'm splitting servo load across two radios ($50-70) and I can still have control over the plane if one radio dies. If it happens to be a twin engine plane (many of mine are or 4 engine) I use the BEC on each speed controller if built in or just use two UBECs.

Just my 2 cents to muddy the waters,
Carlo
I've done that on planes this size too in the past. With one elevator servo on the Slick I thought it wouldn't be worth it though. It was nice on my other gas planes though because I put the ignition on one Rx and the throttle / choke on the other. That way I would at least be able to always kill the engine even if one Rx system went dead.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 01:01 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
Well, I have an Ice on order just so that I can get rid of my Rx battery. I even bought some new 985's to replace my digital servos. Guess that was a waste of money.

I may still go with the Ice just because I hate the spark arrestor circiut on my Hacker X80. It's good in theory, but I've had it short circiut my battery twice while hooking things up.

The Ice doesn't have a spark arrestor circuit........does it? If it does I might as well cancel the order.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 01:04 AM
Fly Low-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat !
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
Well, I have an Ice on order just so that I can get rid of my Rx battery. I even bought some new 985's to replace my digital servos. Guess that was a waste of money.

I may still go with the Ice just because I hate the spark arrestor circiut on my Hacker X80. It's good in theory, but I've had it short circiut my battery twice while hooking things up.

The Ice doesn't have a spark arrestor circuit........does it? If it does I might as well cancel the order.
No, it doesn't.
RotorJockey is online now Find More Posts by RotorJockey
Old Dec 30, 2009, 01:13 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,428 Posts
Thanks! At least it has that going for it.

Guess I'll try to source out a CC BEC Pro so that I can still get rid of my Rx pack.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 01:16 AM
Fly Low-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat !
Jackson, MO
Joined May 2009
3,223 Posts
Quote:

Guess I'll try to source out a CC BEC Pro so that I can still get rid of my Rx pack.
Tower has them in stock:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYCA6&P=ML

Fred
RotorJockey is online now Find More Posts by RotorJockey
Old Dec 30, 2009, 01:34 AM
Fort Collins Colorado USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
I really like the giant exposed heat sink all around the ICE Controller. I was never a fan of speed controllers covered in shrink wrap. Especially a heat sinks completely covered in shrink wrap.

Quote:

jadamian75 is offline Find More Posts by jadamian75
Old Dec 30, 2009, 01:49 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,428 Posts
You should take a look at the Hacker X80....it has it's own cooling fan!!!! It really is a nice esc. I'm going to try one more thing with spark arrestor circuit, but if that doesn't work she's gone for safety's sake.

Thanks for the tip on the BEC PRO's Fred. I haven't read of any problems with them yet....has anybody else?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 03:05 AM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
Manta, if I had to guess, your elevator and / or rudder might be binding. A flat spin is a full down elevator, full left rudder maneuver, so it's entirely possible that if the control binds at the end (trying to squeeze the last couple of degrees), it might have overworked the BEC.

Regardless though, I'm glad that there's only minimal damage to the plane itself. Your Slick have got nothing on mine .
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:17 AM
Fly Low or you'll never know!
Thornton, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
3,810 Posts
CCBEC Pro and a 2s lipo for me on these big guys.
I wouldn't trust the internal bec. Just my two cents.

Cory
RC4x4 is offline Find More Posts by RC4x4
Old Dec 30, 2009, 08:37 AM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDoc View Post
Manta, if I had to guess, your elevator and / or rudder might be binding. A flat spin is a full down elevator, full left rudder maneuver, so it's entirely possible that if the control binds at the end (trying to squeeze the last couple of degrees), it might have overworked the BEC.

Regardless though, I'm glad that there's only minimal damage to the plane itself. Your Slick have got nothing on mine .
I second what he said. Have y'all bothered to check for binding servos using your Wattmeter or other current measuring device? Analog servos are usualy quiet until they start to strain. Digitals make noise all the time and also draw much more current when bound up. It's hard to tell normal noise from binding.

As I posted before, I observed the receiver lights flashing slowly after a flight indicating a 'brownout' so I reduced the elevator endpoints 10% each way and it has not returned.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant