HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 28, 2009, 06:34 PM
Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2008
327 Posts
Wow, that 70" fantasy blue really looks nice! Is that a Turnigy 17x8 your trying on it? I picked up some 16,17,18x8 to try out from HC - amazing how cheap they are - so it will be good to hear how they work out for you.
brucewsb is offline Find More Posts by brucewsb
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:16 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Anyway to hold this thread until the building can actually commence(Ie they are at least in the country)?
I hate to have two threads with the same talk to keep up with and have to dig through several pages before we get to building?

Oh wait, I just made it worse...

kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:52 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
lol. There IS a build thread though in this thread .
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:53 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher
As usual, we start the build with landing gear. If you use polyurethane glue, drip a little onto the gear plate inside the fuselage, a little extra strength on the gear plate never hurts, and it locks all of the wood and carbon together.
Ben - can Gorrilla glue be thinned with something? Just did this on my 51" Slick and it ended up really thick. I think my bottle is just getting old.

Thanks,
Greg
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:55 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,140 Posts
Water thins it, but makes it foam more. I use it unthinned in many applications, and yes, a fresh bottle helps a lot.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:56 PM
Team 3DHS
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2004
15,632 Posts
as well as keeping the lid on tight.
BoneDoc is offline Find More Posts by BoneDoc
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:07 AM
Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2008
327 Posts
I picked up some of the Gorilla glue that dries white and is "2x faster". Is it any different than the brown stuff besides the drying color?
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:10 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,369 Posts
Thanks guys!
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 01:02 PM
Like a boss!
BoCo
Joined Sep 2007
1,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewsb
I picked up some of the Gorilla glue that dries white and is "2x faster". Is it any different than the brown stuff besides the drying color?
Could of just been variations in the amount of water that I used - but I found the white stuff to not be as hard (stretchier, like packing foam and easy to tear) when I used it. I went back to the brown.

Ryan
AllBread is offline Find More Posts by AllBread
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:25 AM
WAR EAGLE
Parrish Fl
Joined Apr 2004
1,856 Posts
Pacer Hinge Glue is the way to go. Water clean up and stronger than epoxy or Gorilla. Pacer glue sticks to the hinge as it etches the hinge, where as the rest just make a socket and do not really stick as you think. They all work, I just go the easy and strongest way. And...no baby sitting the glue.

A unique product developed just for model and toy builders. Use it to glue Robart Hinge Points, and other flat style nylon hinges in balsa and foam. Use it to glue leading and trailing edges to foam cores, also great great for false rib caps on foam. Unlike ordinary resin (wood) glue that dries hard and brittle, Hinge Glue is formulated with added ingredients that cause it to dry semi-riggid. When gluing nylon parts, Hinge Glue actually micro etches the surface of the part to provide exceptional adhesion. It will dry in a few hours and will achieve full strength overnight. Handles in 30 minutes.
callen is offline Find More Posts by callen
Last edited by callen; Aug 30, 2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:28 AM
WAR EAGLE
Parrish Fl
Joined Apr 2004
1,856 Posts
So, any chance on getting an update on when our hands might touch one of these beauties????
callen is offline Find More Posts by callen
Old Aug 30, 2009, 12:09 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,140 Posts
I'll be receiving a status rept. tomorrow, I'll pass the info along.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 30, 2009, 12:26 PM
Fort Collins Colorado USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,393 Posts
White Gorilla Glue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewsb

Do not use that stuff. Everything AllBread said is correct. It's marketed with the "Gorilla Glue" name by the same company for sales purposes but is not the same stuff like you would expect but just white and drying faster. I used it on my 51" Slick for a landing gear repair. I came in for a smooth slow landing on a fabric runway and my gear and plate came off easily. When we checked it out the white packing foam (marshmellow) consistency foam could very easily be peeled away. My friend commented that stuff should be used for arts and craft only.

I did redo the repair with the real original (yellow dark brown colored) gorilla glue and the gear has held up for another 50 flights.

Joe
jadamian75 is offline Find More Posts by jadamian75
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:13 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadamian75
Everything AllBread said is correct.
Joe
Woah. That's gotta be a first.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Aug 30, 2009, 02:57 PM
Santa Barbara
Joined Apr 2008
327 Posts
Thanks Ryan and Joe! That is the information I was looking to hear. I'll try doing some test gluing with the two and see what my results are. Definitely don't want any soft stuff and have my hinges come out. So far I've been happy with the brown version.