HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 09, 2013, 05:57 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
im so angry right now at my motor... it stood untouched for like 6 months... i tried to run it a while ago an all was ok.... today i walked to a field (4miles in 1 direction) and could not start it.... and when i finally did start, 4 times out of 5 it started backwards... and when it did not start backwards, there was nearly no difference between idle and WOT... like 10% more power at wot than at idle... i tried all kinds of needle settings... leaning low, richening high, leaning both, richening both,etc, etc... made no difference... im soooo bummed...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:21 AM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,437 Posts
Which motor?
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:23 AM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,868 Posts
The backward starting sounds like an OS. Mayber there is some gunk in the carb.

6 months is a long time to sit if it had any fuel in it imo.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 09:35 AM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,437 Posts
Not RC... but I had 7 generators that were bought brand new. All started fine and about 1-2 mins in all would not run right. The fuel that sat in the carb had gone bad and all required disassembly and cleaning.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:37 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
im so angry right now at my motor... it stood untouched for like 6 months... i tried to run it a while ago an all was ok.... today i walked to a field (4miles in 1 direction) and could not start it.... and when i finally did start, 4 times out of 5 it started backwards... and when it did not start backwards, there was nearly no difference between idle and WOT... like 10% more power at wot than at idle... i tried all kinds of needle settings... leaning low, richening high, leaning both, richening both,etc, etc... made no difference... im soooo bummed...
I used to walk ten blocks with a T28. I thought that was crazy.

8 miles with a 71 and all the support equipment...you're dedicated to say the least!!!
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:58 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
I used to walk ten blocks with a T28. I thought that was crazy.

8 miles with a 71 and all the support equipment...you're dedicated to say the least!!!
4miles 1 way... And all support equipment went into backpack... Well i WANT to fly that damn thing!
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:05 AM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Wow! I'm blown away! Freakin' LOVED my Slick this morning on the 7955's at 8.5v!! I just felt world's more connected to the plane!

All the maneuvers were much tighter and the high energy stuff was much more violent. Loving it!!

Also, I put a watt meter on my setup and I'm only pulling about 65amps and 2,000 Watts with the 4325-310 with a 19x8 prop on it. I wonder if I can go up to a 19x10?? Or maybe a 20x8? Anybody try going that high yet with this motor? I'm guessing I'd be pulling well over 2,500 Watts which would be problematic so maybe I'll just stick with what I've got as it's certainly working just fine!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:13 AM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Wow! I'm blown away! Freakin' LOVED my Slick this morning on the 7955's at 8.5v!! I just felt world's more connected to the plane!

All the maneuvers were much tighter and the high energy stuff was much more violent. Loving it!!

Also, I put a watt meter on my setup and I'm only pulling about 65amps and 2,000 Watts with the 4325-310 with a 19x8 prop on it. I wonder if I can go up to a 19x10?? Or maybe a 20x8? Anybody try going that high yet with this motor? I'm guessing I'd be pulling well over 2,500 Watts which would be problematic so maybe I'll just stick with what I've got as it's certainly working just fine!
Awesome, glad your digging it. You will see close to 500W more power with the 20x8 or 19x10. The spec for the motor says 2500W, so at least this time of year you should be alright. Summers maybe a different story, keep a eye on temps if you can, and you will be fine. 20x8 was way better for me then the 19" props I have tried, but I like big props. (14" for 48", 16" for 60", and 20" for 71")
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:32 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
rcbirk21's Avatar
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Wow! I'm blown away! Freakin' LOVED my Slick this morning on the 7955's at 8.5v!! I just felt world's more connected to the plane!

All the maneuvers were much tighter and the high energy stuff was much more violent. Loving it!!

Also, I put a watt meter on my setup and I'm only pulling about 65amps and 2,000 Watts with the 4325-310 with a 19x8 prop on it. I wonder if I can go up to a 19x10?? Or maybe a 20x8? Anybody try going that high yet with this motor? I'm guessing I'd be pulling well over 2,500 Watts which would be problematic so maybe I'll just stick with what I've got as it's certainly working just fine!
thats awesome, just another testament to putting quality servos in a plane.

as far as power, if you are happy with the power, no reason to change it. you will lose flight time, and make everything run just a tad warmer (although that last point really doesnt matter). also dont forgot the plane's habits will change with more power, so if you are dialed in and feel like you have plenty of power, dont change a thing
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:45 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,645 Posts
welcome to the world of hv. how did you get 8.5 v? bec pro or the 10 amp bec? also, what cell count lipo?

I've been running 3s 1000s, but I was thinking about doing a 4s 800 instead, with the reasoning being that if one cell dies on the 3s, I will likely drop below the required input voltage. however if one cell dies on a 4s, which in my experience is the most common type of lipo failure, I still have plenty of voltage to keep the BEC pro chugging.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:56 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
rcbirk21's Avatar
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
welcome to the world of hv. how did you get 8.5 v? bec pro or the 10 amp bec? also, what cell count lipo?

I've been running 3s 1000s, but I was thinking about doing a 4s 800 instead, with the reasoning being that if one cell dies on the 3s, I will likely drop below the required input voltage. however if one cell dies on a 4s, which in my experience is the most common type of lipo failure, I still have plenty of voltage to keep the BEC pro chugging.
bec pro can go over 9v
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:02 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
bec pro can go over 9v
I thought it was limited to 1 v increments though.

damn I should just man up and buy a copy of windows or a little netbook or something so that I can run the castle software. especially now that literally the only person I know with a windows rig just moved away.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:18 PM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
I thought it was limited to 1 v increments though.

damn I should just man up and buy a copy of windows or a little netbook or something so that I can run the castle software. especially now that literally the only person I know with a windows rig just moved away.
.5V increments

LOL... my hobby is the only reason I own a PC
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:23 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
I thought it was limited to 1 v increments though.

damn I should just man up and buy a copy of windows or a little netbook or something so that I can run the castle software. especially now that literally the only person I know with a windows rig just moved away.
Yea, what everyone else said. In using a BEC Pro and it will increase in 0.5v increments once you get up that high.

My Slick was awesome before and now it's ridiculous.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:53 PM
Registered User
Huntington Beach Ca.
Joined Mar 2004
392 Posts
This is for those who are debating about installing fuselage side reinforcements.
Man, I wish I would read this thread before last weekend.
Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
Heydick is offline Find More Posts by Heydick
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll 3D hobby shop 51" slick or 55" SHP? appleflyer 3D Flying 24 Mar 24, 2009 06:29 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop's AJ Slick Clark Warfel Electric Plane Talk 3 May 08, 2008 07:31 AM