HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:49 PM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,064 Posts
Because the Shaft is what is sooo Small! ( Kind of what your problem is) The prop is pre drilled larger then what the shaft comes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
If the prop has not been drilled at all how'd you get it on the shaft
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:26 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
After talking with Mike at Aero Models I went with the A60-5s an APC 20x11 and 8s 4000

Pull pull on the rudder

Maidend yesterday, with the packs against the wing tube it was just neutral/tail heavy, moved them a half inch forward and it is very close, more flights to come.

Sweet power

So little coupling I can not tell if I need any mixing

Back out for more in a couple minutes

Dennis
Try a Xoar 20X10 PJT Carbon gas prop, I run one my 5S in my 74" Edge, and also on the 5S in my 72" Extra....lots of power in both planes!! Guaranteed it will give you better power than the APC...

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Feb 21, 2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:57 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,097 Posts
For those that might be interested, I just made up another batch of nine sets fuselage stiffeners, of which three sets are sold, so, I have six sets left out of this batch.. $10.30 paid via PayPal including PayPal fees (or $10.00 if sent as a gift) and shipping via USPS Priority mail.

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:31 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Try a Xoar 20X10 PJT Carbon gas prop, I one one my 5S in my 74" Edge, and also on the 5S in my 72" Extra....lots of power in both planes!! Guaranteed it will give you better power than the APC...

SteveT.
Are you judging power by flight performance or with a watt meter?

It has been my understanding that gas props pull more amps but are not as effecient as electric .

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:25 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,799 Posts
Went out to fly with my new flying student. He tried to fly his TH EPP Edge but winds were excessive. I took my mini jet and the 71 out. Too windy for the little EDF, but put the 71 Slick up for two. Was only 44F and the winds were 15-17 mph and gusty. Was at my limit for flying at the JVS with all the turbulence there.

This was at 2pm, it's calmed down some since and it's warmer (47) so taking the jet back to the place to test it on the 3S 1800's and the new Wicked 6000Kv and Wemo Fan.

3DHS 71 Electric Slick Wind Surfing (4 min 28 sec)
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:40 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Nice flying there Warren.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:03 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Are you judging power by flight performance or with a watt meter?

It has been my understanding that gas props pull more amps but are not as effecient as electric .

Dennis
Flight performance....APC props at this size are not as efficient as they could be, but to load this motor properly, you would need about a 22" Xoar wood prop. The Xoar carbon is hollow, and performs very well. I don't remember what the watts/amps were, as the first time I used this set-up was in my 74" Edge, however, with two Thunder Power 4S 45C 4400mAH packs, on a five minute flight (with no "low and slow" stuff, and lots of verticals for K.E. spins inverted flat spins etc. I still land with 35-39% left in the packs.

To give you an idea of the kind of power my plane has, I have a good friend (Norm) who flies, that has a son that likes powerful planes, and the first time he saw my Edge go up (I like to take off and go vertical)....he went "whoooaaa...that plane has some power!!!!"

Edit.... I went back to the 74" Edge thread and found what I had posted after the first run up....

Quote:
Finally!!!! My Edge is ready for maiden tomorrow!! Had to buy new batteries as the ones I had (4000mAH packs) had puffed, and, I also needed more weight in the nose, so, went with new 4S 45C 4400mAH Thunder Power packs. And.... I ran up the motor today for the first time. On 8S with a Hacker A60-5S (295KV), I got 2335 watts @ 79.35 amps, using a Xoar 20X10 Carbon fiber wide "gas" prop. Some might think this low on wattage, but this is a 28 pole motor, and you can't compare input watts of a 28 pole motor to those of a 14 pole motor such as an A50-14L or a Motrolfly motor. While I didn't check the thrust with a fish scale or anything, I can tell you, when I had the stab pulling against the back of my ankles, it hurt, and I haven't even set my ESC yet!!!
SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Feb 18, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:19 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,404 Posts
Large apc e props are not effecient at all.

Oh Steve here is the pic
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:33 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,097 Posts
Thanks Matt....I appreciate it....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:22 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
Can anyone explain why the APCs are not effecient
I'm using a 18/6W on a DLE 30 with a single bolt conversion.
This set up gives me 20 lbs of static thrust.
It has alot more pull than tha 19/8 Xoar prop that I had on it.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:28 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,151 Posts
I think saying they are not efficient is maybe overstating or overdescribing a bit. The zoars are wood therefore have less flex under load. The plastics flex a bit under load which changed the pitch,etc a little bit. They usually pull more amps tho so I suspect a tad of extra pitch,etc is added due to flex? This is a guess. . Im good at that hhehe. If you try a prop and like it then you have found your best prop.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:42 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
I think saying they are not efficient is maybe overstating or overdescribing a bit. The zoars are wood therefore have less flex under load. The plastics flex a bit under load which changed the pitch,etc a little bit. They usually pull more amps tho so I suspect a tad of extra pitch,etc is added due to flex? This is a guess. . Im good at that hhehe. If you try a prop and like it then you have found your best prop.
I think that last sentence is key. Experiment and find what you like. As long as you're within the limitations of your power system then there really is no wrong answer.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:54 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
guys, has someone tested decibels on gt33? today was my first day at club and there is a guy who said maybe one day he can haul my 71" to the field... but our field has limit of 86db at 6 meters...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:10 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,644 Posts
no actual numbers here, but the one gt33 I heard running last summer was really quiet and midrangey in timbre. reminded me of 4stroke glow planes.

you might pm Enterprise7, I believe he has a gt33 and he seems like a numbers guy.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:22 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
no actual numbers here, but the one gt33 I heard running last summer was really quiet and midrangey in timbre. reminded me of 4stroke glow planes.

you might pm Enterprise7, I believe he has a gt33 and he seems like a numbers guy.
thanks....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts