Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:21 AM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
Thanks for the Tip. I have a Xoar 19x8 Prop that I am going to use. Also what is Golden Rod?? Sorry for the stupid question I am still learning. So do you still run a Electric prop?? IS this because they are lighter? EDIT ON POSt** Never mind on what is Golden Rod I googled it and found it
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman27410 View Post
I use goldenrod for my throttle linkage because i believe it helps isolate the engine vibration on both ends of the linkage.... from the throttle servo on one end and the throttle shaft where it goes thru the carb (BTW that shaft is hollow and a replacement carb is very expensive)...IMO if properly supported the goldenrod moves just as fast as a solid rod.

I broke my both my OS 33's in with a 19x8 protek RC electric prop on a tip from another OS user (who works for 3dhs) and still run that size since it gives literally electric motor throttle response.... the OS will also whip a 20x6 Xoar around nicely just not quite as quick on the throttle response.
hertzrepkeith is online now Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Last edited by hertzrepkeith; Feb 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:29 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,175 Posts
Sullivan Gold-n-rod...

And never use an electric prop on a gas engine, the hubs are smaller and won't stand up to the vibration....

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:31 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,875 Posts
Do you use that for setting up chokes as well?
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:36 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,175 Posts
You can, if properly supported...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:38 AM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
since the prop hub doesnt have to be drilled on the OS engine i believe there is plenty of hub meat to withstand stress and vibration (the OS really doesnt vibrate that badly IMO)....i have been flying the same protek prop on my orange slick going on two years now and another on my red one for all of last season with no failures of any kind.

but..... it is obviously a personal choice (assuming risk) to go this route as the protek IS advertised as an electric propellor.

Personally i love the combo!
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Last edited by racerman27410; Feb 16, 2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:47 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,175 Posts
And...if you choose to use an electric prop on a gas engine, and it comes apart at a flying field and injures somebody, believe me when I say that if the person decides to sue you, the lawyer will use that against you...just saying.....You are of course welcome to do as you like...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:40 AM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
GAS PROP IT IS!!!!!Bahahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
And...if you choose to use an electric prop on a gas engine, and it comes apart at a flying field and injures somebody, believe me when I say that if the person decides to sue you, the lawyer will use that against you...just saying.....You are of course welcome to do as you like...

SteveT.
hertzrepkeith is online now Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:10 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
My brother is awesome. I told him not to worry about crashing the slick that l would fix it as a crash every now and then happens. Well he ordered me all the pieces from 3dhs to get her put back together anyways. Looks like l will have her back together sooner than l thought. Wahooooooo
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:16 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,153 Posts
Oh Losi, what a rotten day. You def paid the lady of luck yestetday. Glad you ot parts coming tho.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:00 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Well my day wasn't that good. My son accidently broke the rudder on my 51 slick and my brother crashed my 71 slick. Brother took out the prop, broke the cowl, ripped the landing gear out and everything it was attached to, split the cf gear, and broke the wheel pants. So my 2 favorite planes are broken both can be fixed but its going to take a bit to gather the funds. Makes me wish l didn't sell all my other planes
Just not a good day. Oh my ses light turned on in my truck today and l got a speeding ticket. When it rains it pours.
Dang Losi!! Sorry to hear that man!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:42 AM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
348 Posts
I'm loving flying the Slick. I have about 25 flights on it. I flew my 57" Extra back to back with my Slick yesterday and while it is much faster and I'm a little better at getting it to tumble my harrier and hovering is much better with the Slick. Anyone have the baby 42" Slick. How does it compare to the other small balsa planes?
smithder is offline Find More Posts by smithder
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:01 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithder View Post
I'm loving flying the Slick. I have about 25 flights on it. I flew my 57" Extra back to back with my Slick yesterday and while it is much faster and I'm a little better at getting it to tumble my harrier and hovering is much better with the Slick. Anyone have the baby 42" Slick. How does it compare to the other small balsa planes?
I've had a 42" Slick before and it's awesome. It's more similar to the 51" Slick than the 71" Slick. Very stable and very violent!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:13 PM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
348 Posts
Never had a 51 either. Do they hover and hairier like the 71? The 57 makes you work to stay in hover.
smithder is offline Find More Posts by smithder
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:47 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithder View Post
Never had a 51 either. Do they hover and hairier like the 71? The 57 makes you work to stay in hover.
I agree on the 57. Not the easiest plane to hover but awesome in every other way! The 71 is the easiest plane I've ever hovered. The 51 isn't far behind.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:59 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,153 Posts
65 vyper is the easiest plane ive ever hovered. 71 slick and 89 slick very close 2nd.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1