I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettt04s View Post
Ill be the first to let everyone know the outcome
We're sure you will...

And...last night, I checked my 71" Slick, which is about six months old....everything in mine that looks like carbon fiber is carbon fiber. I got a carbon splinter off of one of the pieces, when I ran my finger over the edge, so I know it is. Does it look like woven carbon fiber? No,, but then, if you guys that bought carbon stiffeners for me, look at the carbon fiber that they are made of, they don't look like the "normal" 60 to 90 degree "cross weave" carbon fiber that we normally associate with carbon fiber, but I guarantee you it is....no black paint for sand in it...

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:52 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
If you look at the photos on page 1 you will see that the "black paint" is exactly the same today as it was when it was first released.

If you calm down and get in touch with 3D hobby shop I suspect that they will make the wheel pants and gear good..

Dennis
I hate to disagree with you my 71 slick is from the first shipment. Mine is carbon fiber as are others. Only the newer ones are paint. I have built 9 71 slicks since they have come out. The 71 is my favorite plane. This is something they changed. Also in the first pics of the 71 posted by Ben him self you can see a piece of carbon fiber handing off the edge of the rear x brace. He him self said it was carbon fiber.
I can take a pic of two separate 71 slicks that are carbon fiber and l can take pics of some newer ones that are paint.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:59 PM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
I bought my 71 on Aug 29th and it is CF. I wonder when they switched it?
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:00 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
Oh maidened a gas slick with a dle35in it. Man that is a good running gas motor. Plane flew great until the 4 flight when the elevator screw came out and the plane crashed. Airframe is a total loss motor, servos, batts, receiver and all look good. Hated to see a slick so young go in like that
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:03 PM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
712 Posts
I wanna see a side by side
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:07 PM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
ahhhhhhhh what a bummer! Was it your plane? I was having issues with my servo screws backing out so I switched them all to the hex head style and I have had no more issues with them. My OS will be here Wed. hopefully i will have enough time to get it installed this week so I can Maiden it with the new motor!
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Oh maidened a gas slick with a dle35in it. Man that is a good running gas motor. Plane flew great until the 4 flight when the elevator screw came out and the plane crashed. Airframe is a total loss motor, servos, batts, receiver and all look good. Hated to see a slick so young go in like that
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:26 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,170 Posts
Carbon fiber....not paint... Sorry about the fuzzy photo, but my building table has another project on it, and I can't get down on my knees to make sure the camera is focused properly...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:33 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,170 Posts
On the subject of engines...."Hon1er" (Joe) had his EME35 powered Extreme Flight 78" Edge at our field yesterday, and not only did Joe do some outstanding flying, but the engine was also very impressive.....It also sounded better than most of the DLE's that I have heard running in various videos....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:44 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,875 Posts
I just pre-ordered one of the EME 35's that should be back in stock later this month.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:47 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,170 Posts
Well...if yours runs like Joe's looks like they are going to be very good engines....Now to see how they last...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:05 PM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Carbon fiber....not paint... Sorry about the fuzzy photo, but my building table has another project on it, and I can't get down on my knees to make sure the camera is focused properly...

SteveT.
Ya mine doesnt look like that. Mine is blatently black paint with sand
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:33 PM
HIBDON FOR PRESIDENT !!
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post

Do you mean a bolt from the elevator servo horn fell out?
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:57 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
The bolt that holds the servo arm to the servo fell out. Really stinks.

The last 2 71 slick l built in the last 2 months are paint. It's very obvious its not cf. All the other 7 l have built have been cf. All the other 71 slicks l have seen have been cf. I guess its a very recent change 3dhs did. It's not a big deal, its just something l noticed building the last 2. Would l prefur cf? Yes! Is it a deal breaker? No. Though you mix that with the covering pealing issue and the Browning of the white covering at the balsa joint then yes its a deal breaker to me. I look at the previous slicks and the one l have now and l see a great product that l have whole heartedly recommended. It's very hard to recommend the last two l have built as they are not of the same quality.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:09 PM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
348 Posts
Just looked at mine and it is def carbon fiber. Sorry you aren't happy with your Slick. I have had several 3DHS planes and the 71 Slick is my favorite so far. It is such a predictable and stable airframe.
smithder is offline Find More Posts by smithder
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:09 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,445 Posts
Ya they must have changed it on their most recent batch... checked mine to and its painted and textured to look like CF. Mine is from late last year. Other then the few things mentioned I am happy that I have a 71 slick... but going to 50cc and larger airframes it may have influence on my decision.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes