HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:32 PM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
712 Posts
unless they want to send me new landing gear, new wheel pants, and new fuselage.
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:57 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Took my 71" out for a bit this morning and had a lot of fun. I've ended up dropping my expo to 50 across the board and it seems to have made the plane come a little more alive. I'm using 985 servos so that's probably part of it for me... but sometimes it can just feel a little sluggish. I plan on upgrading the servos too at some point.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Last edited by turnerm; Feb 09, 2013 at 03:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:14 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
rcbirk21's Avatar
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,312 Posts
yeah its amazing how you rely on expo when you are a beginner but dont think about changing it later on. servos act a lot faster with less expo but you would probably notice a huge difference going to nicer servos obviously, and nowadays there are tons of choices!
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:20 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
yeah its amazing how you rely on expo when you are a beginner but dont think about changing it later on. servos act a lot faster with less expo but you would probably notice a huge difference going to nicer servos obviously, and nowadays there are tons of choices!
I agree. I'm now starting to rethink expo on all my planes. I seem to prefer a little more on the elevator still though. Not sure why.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:04 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettt04s View Post
unless they want to send me new landing gear, new wheel pants, and new fuselage.
I build five 51'' slicks for friends, did not have any issues except for a cracked cowl 3dhs replaced it within a week. I also build a 55'' sukhoi about 3 years ago that was a mess. I hear you loud & clear garrettt I just saved $500.00 for a new 71'' slick but now I have second thoughts because I hate sending things back Keep us posted .At least I am interested to know how it works out for you.Good luck.
elicoptero is offline Find More Posts by elicoptero
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:07 PM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
712 Posts
Thanks Ill be sure to post an update when I hear from them
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by garrettt04s; Feb 09, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:09 PM
Registered User
edf_rookie's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2011
328 Posts
I finally got the 71 Slick finished and took it out for a maiden this morning . This plane is amazing!!!!! It just flew so big and so easy. Harriers are easier than my 57SC Extra as well. I am glad I flew the 57 before stepping up to this one size wise - it's just has such a big presence in the air.

Even on 8S she still wanted to float all the way down the strip - much like my 48 Edge would.

Thanks everyone for answering all my questions over the past month or so while I was building, it is greatly appreciated
edf_rookie is online now Find More Posts by edf_rookie
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:34 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edf_rookie View Post
I finally got the 71 Slick finished and took it out for a maiden this morning . This plane is amazing!!!!! It just flew so big and so easy. Harriers are easier than my 57SC Extra as well. I am glad I flew the 57 before stepping up to this one size wise - it's just has such a big presence in the air.

Even on 8S she still wanted to float all the way down the strip - much like my 48 Edge would.

Thanks everyone for answering all my questions over the past month or so while I was building, it is greatly appreciated
Awesome man!! Welcome to the club. It still amazes me sometimes that this plane can be so floaty on 8s!

How about the hovers?? It's almost like cheating isn't it? This thing practically hovers itself.

I find that inverted harriers are even more stable than upright harriers.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:49 AM
Registered User
edf_rookie's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2011
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Awesome man!! Welcome to the club. It still amazes me sometimes that this plane can be so floaty on 8s!

How about the hovers?? It's almost like cheating isn't it? This thing practically hovers itself.

I find that inverted harriers are even more stable than upright harriers.
Yeah, it does feel like I am cheating with the hovers as it nearly hovers itself, especially after flying the 57 for a while. I was hovering on the maiden flight which I've never done before.

I think the floatiness threw me at first, especially in the first landing when it just didn't want to come down. I thought on 8S it would feel heavier, so I couldn't even imagine what this would be like on 6S.
edf_rookie is online now Find More Posts by edf_rookie
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:03 AM
Registered User
Dennis C's Avatar
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,457 Posts
If you look at the photos on page 1 you will see that the "black paint" is exactly the same today as it was when it was first released.

If you calm down and get in touch with 3D hobby shop I suspect that they will make the wheel pants and gear good..

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:22 AM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
712 Posts
I am calm. Just expected more when i paid good money for a kit. Everything should have been good from the start. I know things happen and thats why I posted to see if im the only one. Its gonna take more than a set of wheel pants and gear to make this right. Fuselage has issues as well.
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:15 AM
Registered User
jsmith285's Avatar
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettt04s View Post
I am calm. Just expected more when i paid good money for a kit. Everything should have been good from the start. I know things happen and thats why I posted to see if im the only one. Its gonna take more than a set of wheel pants and gear to make this right. Fuselage has issues as well.
Maybe since its the weekend, a little patience's might go a long way. I'm sure that you expect the CS to be 24/7. Sounds like it is from your vendor of choice. But I agree, since thousands of these are sold, you should use the forums to your advantage. I'm sure you will get your claimed problems taken care of. Just not in the time frame you expect.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:06 AM
FlyGuy
ldhflyguy's Avatar
Batavia, IL, USA
Joined Oct 2007
298 Posts
My 2 cents ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettt04s View Post
I am calm. Just expected more when i paid good money for a kit. Everything should have been good from the start. I know things happen and thats why I posted to see if im the only one. Its gonna take more than a set of wheel pants and gear to make this right. Fuselage has issues as well.
My 2 cents,
I have built several of the 3DHS airplanes. None of them have arrived in perfect condition; but, in the end I have loved them all. I don't expect the guys at 3DHS to open and unpack every airplane they import and check for every detail and then repack them as they were originally. Nor do I expect 3DHS to pay someone to do that here or in China because that probably would drive up everyone's costs, inlcuding the customer's. What they seem to do is pass the quality control along to the customer and then offer fast replacement of parts or airplanes when the issue warrants. I've only needed that once. I emailed Noll back and forth a couple times and received what I needed within 1 week.

I have been in this hobby long enough to have built my model airplanes from blueprints, a bunch of balsa/plywood, various glues and covering materials. I have decided over the years that if I factor in the costs of all my materials, my time, and the overall quality of a 3DHS product, the seemingly high cost of a 3DHS airplane is still a pretty good deal. Also, I'd still be a "circle flyer" if it were not for 3DHS. There's no way I'd try most of the 3D maneuvers with a scratch built airplane. And, I can't begin to make a cowl or canopy of the quality that comes with a 3DHS airplane.

I wish everyone satisfaction with their 3DHS airplane kits.
ldhflyguy is offline Find More Posts by ldhflyguy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:46 AM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhflyguy View Post
My 2 cents,
I have built several of the 3DHS airplanes. None of them have arrived in perfect condition; but, in the end I have loved them all. I don't expect the guys at 3DHS to open and unpack every airplane they import and check for every detail and then repack them as they were originally. Nor do I expect 3DHS to pay someone to do that here or in China because that probably would drive up everyone's costs, inlcuding the customer's. What they seem to do is pass the quality control along to the customer and then offer fast replacement of parts or airplanes when the issue warrants. I've only needed that once. I emailed Noll back and forth a couple times and received what I needed within 1 week.

I have been in this hobby long enough to have built my model airplanes from blueprints, a bunch of balsa/plywood, various glues and covering materials. I have decided over the years that if I factor in the costs of all my materials, my time, and the overall quality of a 3DHS product, the seemingly high cost of a 3DHS airplane is still a pretty good deal. Also, I'd still be a "circle flyer" if it were not for 3DHS. There's no way I'd try most of the 3D maneuvers with a scratch built airplane. And, I can't begin to make a cowl or canopy of the quality that comes with a 3DHS airplane.

I wish everyone satisfaction with their 3DHS airplane kits.
Well said...now I feel that something like this should be taken up with 3DHS or supplier first and foremost... but I also feel that a good informed customer also gives incentive for these bad a** airframes to remain just that. There may have been a little beating of the dead horse but if there are issues I want to know about them before I spend my hard earned cash. That being said I am sure Aero-model and/or 3DHS is gonna make this right. Good luck
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:37 PM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
712 Posts
Ill be the first to let everyone know the outcome
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll 3D hobby shop 51" slick or 55" SHP? appleflyer 3D Flying 24 Mar 24, 2009 06:29 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop's AJ Slick Clark Warfel Electric Plane Talk 3 May 08, 2008 07:31 AM