HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:07 AM
USA, OR, Stanfield
Joined Jan 2005
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
Yeah this is the second brand new engine and am having the same exact problem. It seems like when I tune it just right I can get it to where it wants to stay running, but still is not right. I have isolated the problem directly to the engine.(I have a full 2 page list of things that I have did and tried, but I wont get into all of that. I do not have too many good things to say about this DLE 30 Engine.
Sorry to hear about your luck with this engine. I've had real good luck with my rear carb version right out of the box.

Sounds like you have done your research on how to fix it but it still isn't working for you.
I would think that if you had a proper seal on the carb, intake, and the reeds are sealing flat on their surfaces it should run OK.
Maybe check the float needle. I bent the little alum. arm that is spring loaded on mine while cleaning the carb and didn't notice it. It flooded and wouldn't start til I got back in there and straightened it back out. I just bent it back so it is basically straight across from the spring to the needle. Don't know if that is in speck or not but it worked and no issues so far.

I assume that you have also completely disassembled the carb and blew it all out with compressed air, etc.

I had my DLE 30 in a 72" Extra 330sc but on the second flight I lost a rec. and it went through some power lines, total loss of the airframe so now I'm waiting on a 71" Slick to put everything in. Should have it Monday.
ChrisK7 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisK7
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:57 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Thanks.

Does anyone have any suggestions for under $20 lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog View Post
The Sullivan tail wheel bracket should work. Only $10
+1. that sullivan tail wheel bracket is the beast cheep tailwheel out there. just over do it with size, as in get the one made for a bigger plane then what you are putting it on and you will be extremely happy with it. no spring to mess up, nothing to come unhooked. it works perfectly
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:43 AM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,089 Posts
Yeah I have had some really bad luck. Dont give give me wrong I know several people that have had really good luck with the DLE 30(That is why I bought one) I just personally have owned a 71 Slick since Aug and have not been able to fly it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK7 View Post
Sorry to hear about your luck with this engine. I've had real good luck with my rear carb version right out of the box.

Sounds like you have done your research on how to fix it but it still isn't working for you.
I would think that if you had a proper seal on the carb, intake, and the reeds are sealing flat on their surfaces it should run OK.
Maybe check the float needle. I bent the little alum. arm that is spring loaded on mine while cleaning the carb and didn't notice it. It flooded and wouldn't start til I got back in there and straightened it back out. I just bent it back so it is basically straight across from the spring to the needle. Don't know if that is in speck or not but it worked and no issues so far.

I assume that you have also completely disassembled the carb and blew it all out with compressed air, etc.

I had my DLE 30 in a 72" Extra 330sc but on the second flight I lost a rec. and it went through some power lines, total loss of the airframe so now I'm waiting on a 71" Slick to put everything in. Should have it Monday.
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:05 AM
HIBDON FOR PRESIDENT !!
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
The dle 35cc is a great running motor. We have 4 of them at our club with no issues from any of them. They run great and are very smooth.

Hey Losi - Try this for us at your field, have someone hold a plane with a DLE35 turn it upside down for 30 seconds then flip it back upright as see if it dies,hesitates, or just keeps running smooth.
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:23 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,433 Posts
Will do. I will be out there tomorrow. It's a pretty strong motor too. Spins an xoar 19x8 8050rpms. A 20x8 drops it down to 7100rpms.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,089 Posts
He left one thing out. Do it on low idle. That is where I am having the problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Will do. I will be out there tomorrow. It's a pretty strong motor too. Spins an xoar 19x8 8050rpms. A 20x8 drops it down to 7100rpms.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:32 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,089 Posts
I Decided to go ahead a purchase the OSGT33 to put on my Slick. I have currently had the DLE on there but had nothing but bad luck. The DLE already made the Plane Nose heavy, but the OS is even heavier. I already switched to the Push/Pull but my question to you guys is how nose heavy will this end up? Does anyone have the OS on there slick??? Anything I should know?? All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:18 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
I Decided to go ahead a purchase the OSGT33 to put on my Slick. I have currently had the DLE on there but had nothing but bad luck. The DLE already made the Plane Nose heavy, but the OS is even heavier. I already switched to the Push/Pull but my question to you guys is how nose heavy will this end up? Does anyone have the OS on there slick??? Anything I should know?? All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I have the 71 Slick with the OS33GT and am loving it. I had to move the rudder servo from pull/pull to push/pull purely for cg.
I use two 2s 1300mah lipos for the reciever and one 1300 2s for ignition (OS can run direct 2s lipo unregulated) all batteries on the rudder tray. Throttle servo as close to the fuel tank as possible. This will balance nose heavy but flys better that way. Stops on points and will 3d with no limits.
Added 20grms of lead on the tail to neutrally balance it but i felt it didnt stop on points and flew more slopy. So no added weight for balance is necessary.
Tune the highspeed to make strong power but leave a burble on the low speed.
And it loves the Falcon or mejhslick? 20x6
Have fun.
AeroKFactor is offline Find More Posts by AeroKFactor
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:52 AM
Joined Jul 2006
783 Posts
I use one 1450 mA Life mounted on the rudder pull-pull tray. Balances perfect for me (slight dive while inverted). Tuned it once when new and engine is still smooth and responsive through-out throttle range. Had it out last Saturday for first time in 3-4 months, had to flip it maybe 20 times to get primed, a few backwards starts (truly not a big deal, it will just sputter for a few seconds and then die), then fired up and ran great. Usually after first start of day, no choke, one good flip and it starts. My OS 33 is a joy compared to the three DLE30's I had.

Quote:
rmr24 is offline Find More Posts by rmr24
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:12 AM
USA, MI, Lansing
Joined Aug 2009
243 Posts
I have an OS 33GT in my Slick also. I have the rudder servo in the rear and the ignition and reciever batteries mounted on the rudder tray. Balanced how I like it with no extra lead anywhere. I run a Vess 20a prop on mine.
Hewey19 is offline Find More Posts by Hewey19
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1,089 Posts
Thanks Guys for the input everyone. How do you get your ignition all the way to the rudder tray?? Do you mean the Ignition Battery? Also on my slick I ran a Ultra Tech BEC and with a Badger Switch. I just ran 1 lipo for everything. Do I need to change this and run a seperate on for my Ignition? (I know it would help for counter weight)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewey19 View Post
I have an OS 33GT in my Slick also. I have the rudder servo in the rear and the ignition and reciever batteries mounted on the rudder tray. Balanced how I like it with no extra lead anywhere. I run a Vess 20a prop on mine.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:03 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,089 Posts
So the OS has been Ordered! I Pray that my fortune with Gas motors gets better! If not I will have a 71 Slick with OS for Sale LOL I am sure I will have questions once I start installing.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:17 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,546 Posts
wish you the best of luck after all the crap you been through with the DLE.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
wish you the best of luck after all the crap you been through with the DLE.
Thanks Bryan! It has to get better then what it has been!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:03 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,374 Posts
I'm sure you will find the O.S. engine to be a far superior engine than the DLE....But I too will wish you good luck...

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...