Glad to hear you like it!
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:50 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,619 Posts
Looks great. What kind if flight times are you getting with the 4000 packs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithder View Post
I finally got to fly my Slick this weekend. What a great flying plane! It is so gentle in harrier flight even I can bring it down low and steer it around with the rudder. Hovering seems much easier than my 57 Extra. Four flights so far and can't wait to fly some more.

The 5320 hauls this thing like God himself reached down and pulled it up Gives the plane the kind of pull out I am used to with my 57 Extra with a Reaper 60 in it but in a bigger air frame.

I'm running the 5320 with the servo in the tail and CG set toward the front for the first flights. You can see where my two 4000 packs sit. I think they will be in a great spot as I move the CG rearward slightly. I mounted my ICE 100 and BEC pro on center-line under the battery tray. They are in direct line with the bottom hole in the cowling for cooling.

I got this plane after selling my 50cc Pilot RC Extra. I bought it as a first gasser and could never get comfortable enough to fly it low or do much to advance my flying ability. (or lack there of ) This plane flies so nice and makes you feel like it is ok to slow down and bring the plane low because you know it won't do anything you didn't tell it to do and catch you by surprise.

Thanks to all the guys here on the forum who helped me set this plane up and sold me gear. Very happy with the result. Looking forward to a lot of flying this summer.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:12 PM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
352 Posts
So far I had the timer set for 5 minutes. I have my timer set to stop running when throttle is off during flight. I had about 60% remaining after each flight.

I plan to bump my time to 6 and see how it goes. I am sure I will use a little more once the new wears off and I am flying more aggressive. Should be able to get 6:30 hopefully which should be at least 7:00 of air time depending on throttle off time.

Anyone else run their timer like that?
smithder is offline Find More Posts by smithder
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:26 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
I have mine set to 6 minutes now just so it doesnt matter how l fly l will have some juice to land. Plus if l dont fly hard its not so hard on the batts.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:32 PM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
352 Posts
I have the DX8 monitoring pack voltage with the telemetry module. I know I can have it alarm at a specific voltage, just not sure what voltage to set it to. I know voltage will sag under high loads so I don't want to set it too high or it will be going off every time I goose it.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:36 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
Smithder, that's where I have my batts with the 4330 and servo in the tail. Great flying airplane. Do you know the weight of the Haiyans?

Edit: For monitoring voltage via telemetry I gain altitude and take of throttle for 5 sec or so and batts recover almost all their voltage... I glance down for voltage... Works if you feel comfortable taking eyes off plane for a sec... Alarm never was accurate for me as all batteries are different.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bryansifsof44; Jan 28, 2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:41 PM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
352 Posts
I have not weight it, but the website calls out 453 grams for the 30C packs I have. I have 4 of them and so far they seem like good packs. No one seemed to have stock when I ordered these so I thought I would give them a try.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
I hear nothing but good things about them... The reason I don't own any is the heavier weight and their charge rates are lower. Looks like some of the added weight is in heavier gauge wires
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:37 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
Well i was just saying... I have not heard lot of good about scorpion, and apart from motrofly and hacker a50 there were no good motors for 70" planes...now, hacker a60 - 6xs for BIG 6S propellers, 5xs for smaller 6s propellers and 7xs for meddle sized propellers on 8s... But as i said, thats more actual outside usa or if one doesnt like motroflys...
I had 2 4025, one over 500 flights I would guess, the other still going on a vyper. I got rid of all the Hackers except an A30 on a 51. Run motrofly now.

Hmmm, reminds me the 70 slick with the 4025 I sold to a guy and he crashed it after 2 weeks, wonder if I can buy the motor from him!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:43 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
I had 2 4025, one over 500 flights I would guess, the other still going on a vyper. I got rid of all the Hackers except an A30 on a 51. Run motrofly now.

Hmmm, reminds me the 70 slick with the 4025 I sold to a guy and he crashed it after 2 weeks, wonder if I can buy the motor from him!
Don't you need to use a collet style adapter with the scorpion?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:58 PM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
I hear nothing but good things about them... The reason I don't own any is the heavier weight and their charge rates are lower. Looks like some of the added weight is in heavier gauge wires
What packs r u running?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:18 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithder View Post
What packs r u running?
Glacier, gens and skys... All are holding well. Had issues with the smaller gens... skys and glaciers seem to be holding the best (still perform like new) as cycles go up. But recommend all three.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:30 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,184 Posts
Quote:
Don't you need to use a collet style adapter with the scorpion?
Yep, never a problem. If I recall you drop on some red or blue locktite on the shaft then put on the collet/prop. Let it sit overnight, mine never came loose while changing a prop. And I had a collet puller if I ever needed it.

Not saying collet is better, I like the adapters better. But done right mine worked fine.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:41 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Yep, never a problem. If I recall you drop on some red or blue locktite on the shaft then put on the collet/prop. Let it sit overnight, mine never came loose while changing a prop. And I had a collet puller if I ever needed it.

Not saying collet is better, I like the adapters better. But done right mine worked fine.
Gotcha... Did the bearings need extra maintainence?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:42 PM
Joined Nov 2008
8,184 Posts
Quote:
Gotcha... Did the bearings need extra maintainence?
Never touched them, I still have some spares...somewhere.