HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:04 PM
United States, OR, Tigard
Joined Jan 2013
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Hacker A50-12L motors come with the X mount etc....And.....while the motor is adequate, there are much better motors for this this plane. The A60-6XS being one....much more power, much more efficient, etc.....

SteveT.
Steve T. Have a CC 100A Ice installed. Peak Amps of the A606XS is 100A. Any issues?
StevePortland is offline Find More Posts by StevePortland
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:07 PM
Joined Jan 2013
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Directly from AeroModel or 3DHS... or Esprit...

Unfortunately not in stock everywhere....if you really need one, I have a new one in the box I can sell you and I'll buy a new one when they come in stock.

SteveT.
Steve would not want to put you out, but will take you up if your ok with it. Is a winter build and my first big plane. Not hard up but the basterd is asking to be finished. Love this forum, good people.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:11 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Oh!!! . You were referring to the pins/dowels up front!! I thought you had somehow used pins on the tabs on the side of the canopy which seemed rather permanent to me!!

I'd be ok (maybe) just relying on the latch and the dowels if it were a snug fit but mine isn't. And I usually fly pretty hard. But if I'm gonna buy a new canopy anyway...
My canopy fits snug, and IMO would take a lot of force to come off. It took some tuning up on the latch hole to fit right and I used the plywood donut.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:12 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePortland View Post
Steve T. Have a CC 100A Ice installed. Peak Amps of the A606XS is 100A. Any issues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevePortland View Post
Steve would not want to put you out, but will take you up if your ok with it. Love this forum, good people.
CC 100 no problem, and no problem if you need a motor. PM me for cost and PayPal info.

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:14 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,684 Posts
Yup... Steve is definitely one of the good people.... BTW just got the stiffeners in for my flying partner. Thanks again, Steve.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:16 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,154 Posts
Glad to hear it!! And always happy to help!!

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:18 PM
United States, MI, Allegan
Joined Aug 2012
714 Posts
My canopy has a gap at the back too. I want to find some kind of quick-release pins for the sides instead of bolts.
TimmyC is offline Find More Posts by TimmyC
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:27 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,660 Posts
you might try using a pair of pliers to lightly pull on the pin in the canopy latch. sometimes they slip back and only go so far into the hole in the canopy allowing it to depart in flight.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:32 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
My canopy has a gap at the back too. I want to find some kind of quick-release pins for the sides instead of bolts.
You can JB Weld or Epoxy a small washer(washers) to the back of the canopy to fill the gap enough so the canopy latch pin engages the washer. It might take one or two washers depending on the gap. I had a 51" Slick that had that problem and it fixed it. You can do the same thing with Popcycle sticks just cut a piece or "pieces" sand to proper thickness if required and glue it to the back with CA. Put a small dap of red finger nail polish or paint on the end of the canopy pin pull the latch back, install on the fuse release pin and it will mark where you need to drill the hole for the pin.
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:48 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
you might try using a pair of pliers to lightly pull on the pin in the canopy latch. sometimes they slip back and only go so far into the hole in the canopy allowing it to depart in flight.
I have had this on a couple of planes too. It is important to fix it so there is plenty of the pin inside the canopy.

I had the canopy come off my 70" gasser on a full throttle fly-by halfway through a slow roll. I'm guessing the plane was going 60 mph or so and the canopy hit the vertical stab. It totally disintegrated. Now my FB slick is sporting a RED canopy because the blue ones are all gone.
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:21 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Guys my canopy doesn't seem to sit flush at the back and the gap concerns me. It also has some up and down play. It almost seems like the pin that holds it on isn't long enough. I don't want it to come off during flight. Any ideas on how to address my canopy issues?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I have had this on a couple of planes too. It is important to fix it so there is plenty of the pin inside the canopy.

I had the canopy come off my 70" gasser on a full throttle fly-by halfway through a slow roll. I'm guessing the plane was going 60 mph or so and the canopy hit the vertical stab. It totally disintegrated. Now my FB slick is sporting a RED canopy because the blue ones are all gone.
+1000, make sure that pin is far enough out. to pull it out more just take a pair of pliers and pull it out a smidge. will make the canopy work perfectly without the canopy bolts, which are a major PITA if you are running electric IMO
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:27 AM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
352 Posts
Steve I got my braces in Thursday. They look great and are very stiff. They should stiffen the area UPS was unfriendly to rather nicely.

Looks like I may actually finish this thing tomorrow. Maiden flight should happen soon.

This is one of those planes you have to see in person to appreciate. It is one darn good looking plane.
smithder is offline Find More Posts by smithder
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:54 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithder View Post
Steve I got my braces in Thursday. They look great and are very stiff. They should stiffen the area UPS was unfriendly to rather nicely.

Looks like I may actually finish this thing tomorrow. Maiden flight should happen soon.

This is one of those planes you have to see in person to appreciate. It is one darn good looking plane.
Very happy to hear you got them this time, I must admit to being a bit "peeved" at the USPS over this, and the ones I sent to Losifanatic that never showed up.

As to the Slick, yes, they are great looking (and flying) planes... I hope you have it a long time, and get many enjoyable flights out of it!!

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:50 AM
Joined Jan 2013
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithder View Post

Agreed. Not much for staring, but I find myself just looking at this plane for no reason.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:08 AM
United States, PA, Nottingham
Joined May 2012
22 Posts
Just a quick message to anyone looking for a GAS Slick as they are currently out of stock. I live close the the warehouse and the hobby shop that stocks them. They had two Gas versions the other day that I could purchase and ship out for anyone that needs it. I am making a trip there today and will confirm stock and colors.
GTOEric is offline Find More Posts by GTOEric