HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:45 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
If it is an orange or red electric, 3DHS has the fuselages in stock on their website.... orange......red....

SteveT.
I didn't see that. What all does the fuse come with? Rudder? Cowling? LG?

I need everything but the wings. Probably isn't worth it.

.... I made someone mad, and they took it out on something that I really like

A Little history of me and 71" Slicks.
1st Slick flew it 20 -30 times, sold it to a friend for a favor, they were out of stock. ( and I wanted an Orange one)

2nd Slick, someone offered me $900 Rx ready at a Fly-in. I couldn't resist, the servos were used, and I wanted a Motrolfly

3rd Slick, 10 flights, .......... and here I am.

I really can't afford another.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:46 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
Telemetry would be neat. Heat sensors on engines work well.

Just keep in mind usually when a ESC goes, it usually goes from normal temps to off the charts in less than a second.
Maybe a Fire Suppression System would be more cost effective.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:48 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,799 Posts
Thinking about a Power Upgrade for this year. Selling the 4325-380 and going with a DM4330-400, 19x10.

Anyone running one on 6S 5000 30C's on a 19x10 Xoar know what the Amps are? Running an ICE 100.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:51 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I didn't see that. What all does the fuse come with? Rudder? Cowling? LG?

I need everything but the wings. Probably isn't worth it.
I think the fuse just comes with the fuse. That's it. I priced out a new fuse, canopy, and wheel pants and it came to just $100 less than a whole new airframe (shipped).
Lardog is online now Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:53 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardog View Post
I think the fuse just comes with the fuse. That's it. I priced out a new fuse, canopy, and wheel pants and it came to just $100 less than a whole new airframe (shipped).
Yep, not worth it. Bummer.

NOw I have a brand new Motrolfly 4325/380, 4 new HS-985's, and an Ice 100.

At least I can use my 6s 5000's in my Align 550.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:47 PM
USA, OR, Stanfield
Joined Jan 2005
35 Posts
OK, so after spending about 3 day's searching for info on using a DLE 30 in the electric version of the 71" Slick I can't find much info.

The gas versions are out of stock and I'm wondering what it would take to put a DLE 30 (latest version) on the electric version slick.

I'm thinking all you would have to do is shorten the motor box, reinforce it with light ply all the way back to the wing tube and close up and reinforce the front firewall with some more light ply.
I know that the cowl and canopy are different between the two versions but I don't see any reason it would make a difference with the DLE under the hood.

Has anyone done this conversion?
Are there servo cutouts in the rear of the fuse for a rear mounted rudder servo or maybe even a second elevator servo to help balance with the gas engine up front?

Anything I'm missing? Any tips, or info greatly appreciated.
ChrisK7 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisK7
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:13 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,148 Posts
The easiest way would be to buy the motorbox from the gas version, swap that out. (not as hard as it sounds)
This would give you a properly shortened and much strengthened motorbox. You would then also have to buy a new canopy and cowl for the gas version, as both of those are different. I don't think the electric canopy will stay on with all the vibrations from the gas motor.
(if your canopy is orange I might have a buyer for it...)

I believe the motor boxes are interchangeable and that someone on here has done the swap already on one. Does anyone else remember that, and can they confirm?
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:57 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Guys my canopy doesn't seem to sit flush at the back and the gap concerns me. It also has some up and down play. It almost seems like the pin that holds it on isn't long enough. I don't want it to come off during flight. Any ideas on how to address my canopy issues?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:07 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Guys my canopy doesn't seem to sit flush at the back and the gap concerns me. It also has some up and down play. It almost seems like the pin that holds it on isn't long enough. I don't want it to come off during flight. Any ideas on how to address my canopy issues?
Mine has the same issues... Do you use the 2 screws on the sides..? That holds just fine.
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:23 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,130 Posts
In my opinion, the screws are a must anyway...My canopy came off less than 90 seconds into it's maiden...

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:24 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Mine has the same issues... Do you use the 2 screws on the sides..? That holds just fine.
Bought it used and didn't get any. Where do the screws go??
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:59 PM
Santi
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Bought it used and didn't get any. Where do the screws go??
Right on the sides of the canopy. The holes usually need to be opened but they are a must in my opinion on this plane. I don't trust that small latch with this big canopy.
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:09 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
Right on the sides of the canopy. The holes usually need to be opened but they are a must in my opinion on this plane. I don't trust that small latch with this big canopy.
Doh! I had no clue. I'll have to take a look to see what you're talking about. I assume they are sort of like the wing bolts that can be easily hand secured each time??
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:14 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,130 Posts
Yup!!

You will need to install some blind nuts in the tabs that stick down from the canopy frame.

I'll see if I have some spares....and I think I do...

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:17 PM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,065 Posts
Another idea would be to send me your Electric Version and I send you my Gas Version!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK7 View Post
OK, so after spending about 3 day's searching for info on using a DLE 30 in the electric version of the 71" Slick I can't find much info.

The gas versions are out of stock and I'm wondering what it would take to put a DLE 30 (latest version) on the electric version slick.

I'm thinking all you would have to do is shorten the motor box, reinforce it with light ply all the way back to the wing tube and close up and reinforce the front firewall with some more light ply.
I know that the cowl and canopy are different between the two versions but I don't see any reason it would make a difference with the DLE under the hood.

Has anyone done this conversion?
Are there servo cutouts in the rear of the fuse for a rear mounted rudder servo or maybe even a second elevator servo to help balance with the gas engine up front?

Anything I'm missing? Any tips, or info greatly appreciated.
hertzrepkeith is online now Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith