HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:15 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Check out this page....perhaps you can find a cure there... Seems to be a common problem....

SteveT.
From that thread one thing to check in fuel delivery is the clunk setup.....
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:48 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
I was doing some research trying to find out if anyone else has the same issues with there DLE and this guy had posted this back in 2009. Do you guys think this could be my issue???

Re: DLE 30cc engine
by rcign Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:59 am

I guess the whole world now knows about the problem with the DLE30..The engine quits when tilted at idle...The fix is rounding off the square edges of the rear crankcase casting and rounding the internal corners...Gas pools in the corners and gets ingested killing the engine because of the extra fuel...Happens only at a slow idle....Can't take a picture, just go in there and look....
RC Ignition
Quite a bit of discussion here: http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=68399
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:09 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Steve

About to pull the switch on the 71, I am flying the 72 extra on 8s with a hacker A50-14l 18x10 APC and 19xx8 APC Good power but a little more would be OK.

Probably can not go wrong but want to stay with 8s 4000

Looking at the

Hacker A50-14l, Hacker A60 6xs and Hacker A60-5s

Or MotroFly 4330

Have you tried 8s on the Hacker A60 6xs What prop?

Thoughts ? difference in efficiency? would the extra weight of the A60 5s be noticeable?

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:28 PM
United States, TX, Wichita Falls
Joined Nov 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Well, I wouldn't say I was "the one", but I took my power set-up (Hacker A60-6XS, 6S 65C 5000mAH Thunder Power packs, Castle ICE100 and BEC Pro) out of a 70" Slick that balanced perfectly with it, and put it in my 71" Slick, which yes, had to have the servo put in the tail to balance it.... A few others have commented their Slicks have coming out a bit nose heavy also.

SteveT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
I have my rudder servo in the tail with a Motrolfly 4330 and Castle Ice 80HV up front and my this is my batt placement.
Awesome. Thanks guys. The manual mentions possibly having to put the ball link on the inside (closer to the fuse) of the servo arm instead of outside, and/or using a spacer to keep from any binding or inteference w/ rudder.....did you guys have those issues??
ellzy_21 is offline Find More Posts by ellzy_21
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:57 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Steve

About to pull the switch on the 71, I am flying the 72 extra on 8s with a hacker A50-14l 18x10 APC and 19xx8 APC Good power but a little more would be OK.

Probably can not go wrong but want to stay with 8s 4000

Looking at the

Hacker A50-14l, Hacker A60 6xs and Hacker A60-5s

Or MotroFly 4330

Have you tried 8s on the Hacker A60 6xs What prop?

Thoughts ? difference in efficiency? would the extra weight of the A60 5s be noticeable?

Dennis
Hi Dennis...

First off, I really don't know if the A60-5S would be a good choice for the Slick, as it is four ounces heavier than the A60-6XS, and...you need a heavier or larger prop to get it to load and perform properly. I have a Xoar 20X10"W" Carbon gas prop on mine and to me, it is outstanding, but this is in a 74" Edge, which was tail heavy, as opposed to the Slicks, which some of have been coming out nose heavy. That said....I have Thunder Power 4S 45C 4400mAH packs X 2 in my Edge, and there is room to move them back a bit. If you went with 4000mAH packs and moved them back with the servo in the tail, went with a Xoar 21X10 (or 21X11) and a light weight carbon spinner, you might be able to do it, and it would have killer power!!!! As to efficiency...As I have said, I am not a great 3D flier, so my flights are more in line with sport aerobatics, but I do like lots of climb-outs to altitude for K.E. spins (sometimes not so successful), inverted and right side up flat spins, K.E. flight, Cuban 8's, etc....and on Saturday, when I flew my Edge, on a five minute flight,(I usually set my timer for five minutes) I had 39% and 38% left in the two packs, the temp at the field was about 68 degrees, very little wind, and the motor came down at ambient temp and the batteries were barely warm, (even when we were having hot weather the motor came down only slightly warm, just a slight tingle to the finger when checking the motor temp). Somebody flying "low and slow" would I am sure be able to get quite long flights. I also have just installed an A60-5S in my 72" Extra, which I hope to fly with the motor for the first time tomorrow (the plane has been flown with an A50-12L) I'll let you know how that goes....but as I believe the Extra is a little lighter than the Edge, it should be great!!

I personally, have not run an A60-6XS on 8S. I do know that Noll has, and I believe that he had something like an 18X8 or 18X10 prop on it. You could ask him what size, or perhaps Arron (theKM) as I believe he was working on that too...That said.....the A60-6XS does just fine on 6S. I am using Thunder Power 45C 5000mAH packs, and after a five minute flight, I usually have about 33% left. And the same goes for temps as the A60-5S. I have never gotten either one of these motors hot. Recently Marty (Buzzed) posted some pictures of a friend of his hovering his Slick with an A60-6XS swinging a Xoar 23X8 wood prop, and said it had tremendous power!!

You can run either of these motors on a Castle ICE100 with no problems...

As to the Motrolfly, I have one of the DM4315-714 motors, and it is great in my 59" Edge.....but I have no experience with any of the other Motorlfly motors, but am sure you can't go wrong with that choice either...

Hope this helps.....

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Jan 21, 2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:58 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellzy_21 View Post
Awesome. Thanks guys. The manual mentions possibly having to put the ball link on the inside (closer to the fuse) of the servo arm instead of outside, and/or using a spacer to keep from any binding or inteference w/ rudder.....did you guys have those issues??
I did read that, and I believe I did do that, so, no, no issues there...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:16 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Steve

Thanks for the reply, Still thinking, I really like the hacker but would like to stay with the 8s system, I have 3 planes that use 4s or 8s batteries. just makes it simple.

Looks like the A60 6xs is not a great option for that.

Dennnis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:55 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Steve

Thanks for the reply, Still thinking, I really like the hacker but would like to stay with the 8s system, I have 3 planes that use 4s or 8s batteries. just makes it simple.

Looks like the A60 6xs is not a great option for that.

Dennnis
Yes, being able to combine the batteries is definitely a good thing. Have you bought the Slick yet? If not...try the 74" Edge or 72" Extra....the A60-5S combo is killer is them. I just flew my 72" yesterday for the first time with the A60-5S in it, and it is very good in my opinion....

That said....If you don't mind a little bit of weight in the tail, you could probably put a one ounce or 1.5 ounce strip between the landing gear and the fuselage, and balance the 71".....and quite truthfully, unless you like really "light and floaty" you'll never notice it with this plane. I used a Hacker A60-5XS in my 70" Velox, and had to do that...and the plane still flies with a tremendous amount of power.

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:47 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
Just finished installing my Motrofly 5320 300kv, even with my pull pull ruder everything balanced and I still have room to move the batteries back. Total weight with batteries and skies not wheels is 10.4 pds, not bad I thought I was going to be heavier.
mdauth is offline Find More Posts by mdauth
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:43 PM
Joined Jun 2006
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
I run 12S on my 4330-216 and the power is on a whole different level then partner with his 4325-380 on 6s. To get the same power I get with my 12s setup a 6s would peak at about 140 amps. To be fair... the 4325 is smaller and not capable of the power of the 4330, but even with the 4330 I wouldn't dare put any ware close to 140 amps through it. My power system settles in at about 2800 watts which is still over 125 amps for a 6s setup.
What capacity are your 12s batts? What kind of flight times?
Maxmannnn is offline Find More Posts by Maxmannnn
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:14 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmannnn View Post
What capacity are your 12s batts? What kind of flight times?
I've ran 2500, 2600, 3000 and 3300's I like the 2600mAh 30C Glacier Lipos the best. With the 2600's I have my timer set for 6:00 and usually have a little left when I land. Check telemetry voltage an then usually go for a couple more passes... land and I am at 3.75-3.8V per cell. The 6s 2600mAh are the same weight as 4s 4000mAh batteries.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:21 AM
JP9
Gopher it!
United States, AZ, Surprise
Joined Feb 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauth View Post
Just finished installing my Motrofly 5320 300kv, even with my pull pull ruder everything balanced and I still have room to move the batteries back. Total weight with batteries and skies not wheels is 10.4 pds, not bad I thought I was going to be heavier.
Dude that's not a Cobra is it?
JP9 is offline Find More Posts by JP9
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:50 PM
United States, TX, Wichita Falls
Joined Nov 2011
70 Posts
Last few parts for the build finally trickled in yesterday.....I am one happy camper! This plane looks even better in person!

Here's the setup:

71" Sllick (red)
AXI 5320 380kv
CC Ice 100
CC BEC pro
Gens Ace 6s 30c 5300
Xoar 20x8
HS-7985
Optima 7 w/ a9
ellzy_21 is offline Find More Posts by ellzy_21
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:31 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2011
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauth View Post
Thank you for sharing the photo. I am currently half way through building mine at the moment and am leaving the rudder till last to see whether I need to go push-pull or remain at pull-pull with the 5320 300kv and 2x4S 4000mah batteries.

What are you using between the wooden spacers and the firewall. I have currently set it up with just the wooden spacers but I only have around a 1mm gap between the spinner and cowl which I am not too comfortable with - unless told otherwise that it will be ok.

Thanks
edf_rookie is online now Find More Posts by edf_rookie
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:40 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edf_rookie View Post
Thank you for sharing the photo. I am currently half way through building mine at the moment and am leaving the rudder till last to see whether I need to go push-pull or remain at pull-pull with the 5320 300kv and 2x4S 4000mah batteries.

What are you using between the wooden spacers and the firewall. I have currently set it up with just the wooden spacers but I only have around a 1mm gap between the spinner and cowl which I am not too comfortable with - unless told otherwise that it will be ok.

Thanks

1mm is a bit tight, but you can add a thin washer behind each spacer. 1mm is a bit close, at .0393", I like about 1/16" (.0625")to 3/32" (.09375") in case of any flexing of the motor shaft/motor/firewall to keep the spinner from rubbing.

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member