Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:48 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
I will Steve and thanks!

He has a Hacker A60-6XS on it. Tons of power with his TP 65 batteries. Very impressive on such a light plane.

Well... I knew the A60-6XS would turn a larger prop, but I didn't think it would handle a 23X8.....wow!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:54 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,701 Posts
Wow that's a big prop on the 71... Hover must quickly turn into a torque roll. Glad to see the gentleman at that age kicking butt.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:56 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Well... I knew the A60-6XS would turn a larger prop, but I didn't think it would handle a 23X8.....wow!!

SteveT.
Yeah, he said it's pulling 94 amps and a little over 2400 watts. Pretty impressive numbers for a 71" Slick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Wow that's a big prop on the 71... Hover must quickly turn into a torque roll. Glad to see the gentleman at that age kicking butt.
I thought the same thing, but the low pitch and huge disc is awesome for hovering. He didn't need much aileron when it was straight up in the hover.
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:57 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,169 Posts
Quote:

SteveT.
266 watts/lb. AJ would be proud!

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:57 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2011
329 Posts
Finally got my 7955TG's yesterday. What servo arms are you guys using - the stock black arms or the small metal blue arm. Or are there better servo arms out there and what length did you guys need. I am using an 8th if that makes any difference.

Also, what volts do you normally run these at? I am using a bec pro set at 6v at the moment hooked up to the main flight batteries - 2 x 4S 4000mah.

Thanks
edf_rookie is offline Find More Posts by edf_rookie
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:05 PM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edf_rookie View Post
Finally got my 7955TG's yesterday. What servo arms are you guys using - the stock black arms or the small metal blue arm. Or are there better servo arms out there and what length did you guys need. I am using an 8th if that makes any difference.

Also, what volts do you normally run these at? I am using a bec pro set at 6v at the moment hooked up to the main flight batteries - 2 x 4S 4000mah.

Thanks
Use the longest single sided arm on the aileron. Use a long double sided with one side cut off for the elevator. And use a long double sided for the rudder.
I would set the bec to 8v for the 7955's.
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:27 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,701 Posts
Quote:
I would set the bec to 8v for the 7955's.
+1... I hope on castles next firmware update they will reduce the increments on the pro to 0.1V as on the CC 10amp BEC... If possible.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:30 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
Quote:
+1... I hope on castles next firmware update they will reduce the increments on the pro to 0.1V as on the CC 10amp BEC... If possible.
dude, 8.5v is not going to hurt anything. ive run it for hundreds of flights combined over 12 different 7955 servos. no problems. 0.1v will not hurt anything
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
dude, 8.5v is not going to hurt anything. ive run it for hundreds of flights combined over 12 different 7955 servos. no problems. 0.1v will not hurt anything
dude... I don't feel right running over spec, yet... your comments are the only ones I've read about on 8.5V. I took your account into consideration from the other thread. I'm not saying your giving bad info. I just want to be sure. I have even dialed my 7245s to 8.3V on the CC 10 BEC because not a hole lot of people were running them on regulated power. With a direct 2s lipo they only see over 8.3V for a very short period... rather be safe then sorry with these bigger airframes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:43 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
heli guys have been running hitec servos on 9v for a long time, as well as jr servos and other brands that are spec'ed to 2s lipo un regged. measure a 2s lipo full charged, it is a tad about 8.4v. maybe thats over spec'ing servos too?
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Jan 17, 2013, 05:53 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
heli guys have been running hitec servos on 9v for a long time, as well as jr servos and other brands that are spec'ed to 2s lipo un regged. measure a 2s lipo full charged, it is a tad about 8.4v. maybe thats over spec'ing servos too?
LOL... then soon as you put a load on that lipo what does it do? Sure don't stay at 8.4V.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:24 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,681 Posts
Quote:
dude... I don't feel right running over spec, yet... your comments are the only ones I've read about on 8.5V. I took your account into consideration from the other thread. I'm not saying your giving bad info. I just want to be sure. I have even dialed my 7245s to 8.3V on the CC 10 BEC because not a hole lot of people were running them on regulated power. With a direct 2s lipo they only see over 8.3V for a very short period... rather be safe then sorry with these bigger airframes.
A 2S lipo battery that is freshly charged is 8.4 volts (4.2 per cell), and as Eric said, the difference between 8.4 and 8.5, just isn't enough to worry about. That said, a lipo pack does drop off a little bit fairly quickly, so it doesn't stay at that voltage. While I just set my BEC at 7.4 for HV servos, you could set them to the max with no damage I am sure....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:40 PM
Redwing FTW
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,424 Posts
I'd be careful following heli pilots recommendation of 9 volts. Helis dont seem to put anywhere near the stress on a servo as an airplane does. Trying to run the servo at 9v with the added stress an airplane will put on it would really scare me. Plus it can't be good for the servo in the long run. HV servos are basically rated for a 2s lipo which is 8.4 volts max but that is only for a few seconds into the first flight and continues to drop off. 8v is what I like to run them at since this is a happy medium. No reason to run a "potentially" risky setup for a tiny increase in speed that most won't even be able to notice. Just my opinion of course.
joesmith285 is online now Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:42 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,701 Posts
Quote:
A 2S lipo battery that is freshly charged is 8.4 volts (4.2 per cell), and as Eric said, the difference between 8.4 and 8.5, just isn't enough to worry about. That said, a lipo pack does drop off a little bit fairly quickly, so it doesn't stay at that voltage. While I just set my BEC at 7.4 for HV servos, you could set them to the max with no damage I am sure....

SteveT
Probably true... I just would like to be more comfortable doing it before I put my planes at risk because I ran a servo at a voltage higher then they were intended. I agreed on the other thread that it is probably fine but like I said before not many people running them that high probably for the same reason I will be holding off for now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:47 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
I'd be careful following heli pilots recommendation of 9 volts. Helis dont seem to put anywhere near the stress on a servo as an airplane does. Trying to run the servo at 9v with the added stress an airplane will put on it would really scare me. Plus it can't be good for the servo in the long run. HV servos are basically rated for a 2s lipo which is 8.4 volts max but that is only for a few seconds into the first flight and continues to drop off. 8v is what I like to run them at since this is a happy medium. No reason to run a "potentially" risky setup for a tiny increase in speed that most won't even be able to notice. Just my opinion of course.
Sure same would apply to servos as with our power systems. Increasing voltage without reducing load will greatly increase current (A). Which is why we have to prop down when going up in voltage without reducing KV. Where as no propping down for servos and load will likely go up with less chance of blowback at the higher voltage.
RCG Plus Member