HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:29 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I believe the 45 amp rating is at 120 volts or something like that. I know I read that somewhere, or it could have been 110 volts, whatever household current is I guess.
ya but you wanna know the weird thing about that? I'm gonna tell you anyhow lol.
I had to shorten the leads from my power supplies to my PL8 charger because the one set of power pole connectors melted one time. I shortened the leads and they now get hot if i charge at full tilt,but the housings dont melt. Never have had the connectors get hot on my planes tho,even when i ran 120 amps at wot in one one time. (lots of static run ups while feeling the connectors every now and again)
air circulating through the plane cool them ya think?
Manta1 is online now Find More Posts by Manta1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:24 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
ya but you wanna know the weird thing about that? I'm gonna tell you anyhow lol.
I had to shorten the leads from my power supplies to my PL8 charger because the one set of power pole connectors melted one time. I shortened the leads and they now get hot if i charge at full tilt,but the housings dont melt. Never have had the connectors get hot on my planes tho,even when i ran 120 amps at wot in one one time. (lots of static run ups while feeling the connectors every now and again)
air circulating through the plane cool them ya think?
Think about it real good. I know people say they can run 100amps thru a 45PP. But we had to replace them on our PL8 also. Got to hot. Current is current. Nothing magical going on in the airplanes/ helis. Maybe air flow is greater, but 100 amps thru a 45 amp PP is hard for me to think its a good idea. 45 amp thru a PP on a PL8 gets to hot to touch, and its at 6s.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:18 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
Think about it real good. I know people say they can run 100amps thru a 45PP. But we had to replace them on our PL8 also. Got to hot. Current is current. Nothing magical going on in the airplanes/ helis. Maybe air flow is greater, but 100 amps thru a 45 amp PP is hard for me to think its a good idea. 45 amp thru a PP on a PL8 gets to hot to touch, and its at 6s.
all im saying is i think the higher voltage and the amps on the PL8 are a lot more stress on it. there is a ton of examples of very high amperage through the 45a pp's and they hold up very well
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:25 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Ya i just wonder if its the constant high amps versus the shorter bursts of rc. I have replaced the terminals and housings on my 89 slick once. This was after two airframes worth of flying tho. The connection got a bit loose. Esc unarmed once. All connectors that are connected and disconnected wear out tho. I will continue to use them tho until i find something better. Hate deans. Ec3 i like ok, bullets ok. APPs just rock right now for me. And shortening the leads made the connectors in my charger cooler so im golden there. I charged at 40 amps back to back the othet day with no problems. 2 sets if packs and i flew my 89 like 6 times in an hour
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:26 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,383 Posts
Quote:
what connectors does Joe run?
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:35 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
This is probably a really dumb question but keep in mind that I'm a bean counter... not an electrician.

If I konw that my setup is pulling ~60-70 Amps I would ASSUME that that is the amount of amps running through my APP connectors as well or no?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:40 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
This is probably a really dumb question but keep in mind that I'm a bean counter... not an electrician.

If I konw that my setup is pulling ~60-70 Amps I would ASSUME that that is the amount of amps running through my APP connectors as well or no?
Well it wont go around the connectors majically lol
But if you ever look at a logger data you wld see law of averages apply. The highest amps the system pulls is gonna only happen at WOT, which we all know is a no no with these systems for more than 15 or so seconds at the time. So the system doesnt use those high amps long enough to let the connectors/wires get too hot. Is my line of thunk anywho.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:44 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Well it wont go around the connectors majically lol
But if you ever look at a logger data you wld see law of averages apply. The highest amps the system pulls is gonna only happen at WOT, which we all know is a no no with these systems for more than 15 or so seconds at the time. So the system doesnt use those high amps long enough to let the connectors/wires get too hot. Is my line of thunk anywho.
Yea... I knew that theoretically it was going through there. But the second part of your response is what I was after. So that's helpful.

And who says WOT for an extended period of time is a no no? LOL!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:47 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
all im saying is i think the higher voltage and the amps on the PL8 are a lot more stress on it. there is a ton of examples of very high amperage through the 45a pp's and they hold up very well
not arguing with you. Lots of people running lots of amps thru PP. I was just agreeing that 40 amps thru a 45 amp PP on a pl8 at 24 volts get the connectors really hot.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:52 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
not arguing with you. Lots of people running lots of amps thru PP. I was just agreeing that 40 amps thru a 45 amp PP on a pl8 at 24 volts get the connectors really hot.
My 3010B only goes up to 30 amps so I guess that's why I've never noticed it while charging. But you ARE making me nervous about flyign with them...
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:53 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
what connectors does Joe run?
Currently (which means he is always looking and testing other connectors) his
batteries have deans on them. But his harnesses have a 75 amp PP in one of the legs to take the brunt of the spark.

He is testing some 150 and 200 amp connectors right know. Also trying different MM bullets.

Deans are adequate when used in single battery setups (even 6s). Multiple battery setups is where Deans are lacking in handling capacity.
It just seems some people prefer PP's because they dont have to solder them. Which is really why PP's are popular.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:54 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
It sure do and Ive not figured out why when ive not caught them hot on my plane?thats whats weird to me. But you right on they get hot from the pl8 to the power supplies
Now from the pl8 to the batteries one of that gets hot. That confuses me too. I can charge at 40 amps 2 6s 5000 packs and no wires even get warm. The packs are luke warm but thats usu from the flight
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:55 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
It sure do and Ive not figured out why when ive not caught them hot on my plane?thats whats weird to me. But you right on they get hot from the pl8 to the power supplies
Now from the pl8 to the batteries one of that gets hot. That confuses me too. I can charge at 40 amps 2 6s 5000 packs and no wires even get warm. The packs are luke warm but thats usu from the flight
Thats supposed to say none of them gets hot from charger to batts. Not one of them
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:07 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Yea... I knew that theoretically it was going through there. But the second part of your response is what I was after. So that's helpful.

And who says WOT for an extended period of time is a no no? LOL!
also remember that when you put a fresh pack on and do a WOT burst check with a watt meter, that is the absolute max you will get because as the battery discharges, the amperage will also go down a bit
rcbirk21 is online now Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:44 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,446 Posts
I was using 45apps on my powerlab8. It melted 3 sets. Never been over 35amps pulling from the powersupplies. I switched to deans and my wire is no longer getting hot and the connector isn't melting any more. I was going to switch all my planes over to Andersons but not now. I am going to stick with deans
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic