HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:16 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,653 Posts
I believe one is steel gear (SH) and the other is titanium. some people have had issues with the 7954s and long extensions, and in general I think they are just not as robust as the 7955s, but I've never tried them personally. 7955s are held in high regard because of their tremendous durability and torque, and their speed is respectable especially at 8v.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:26 AM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
I believe one is steel gear (SH) and the other is titanium. some people have had issues with the 7954s and long extensions, and in general I think they are just not as robust as the 7955s, but I've never tried them personally. 7955s are held in high regard because of their tremendous durability and torque, and their speed is respectable especially at 8v.
But according to the specs the 7954's can go up to 7.4v and the 7955's can only go up to 6v. The torque rating at 6v for both servos is the same (333oz) and speed is the same at 6v as well (.15sec).

So it would seem to me that you'd want to go with the 7954's because you can bump up the voltage that you're supplying to them and get more torque and more speed.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:27 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
rcbirk21's Avatar
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
So I'm going to upgrade the servos on my 71" Slick. It currently had 985's in there and I'm trying to decide between the 7954SH's and the 7955TG's. I don't really understand why someone would go with the 7955TG's as they appear to be slightly slower than the 7954SH's AND the 7954SH's have more torque (when going high voltage).

So I'm guessing that I'm missing a big benefit here. Am I? What servos would you recommend me upgrading to?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
I believe one is steel gear (SH) and the other is titanium. some people have had issues with the 7954s and long extensions, and in general I think they are just not as robust as the 7955s, but I've never tried them personally. 7955s are held in high regard because of their tremendous durability and torque, and their speed is respectable especially at 8v.
exactly. i dont think i have ever seen a problem with the ti gears or the 7955 servo...have heard multiple things on the 7954 but do not know the frequency of problems. the 7955 is a proven, solid servo and worth the money. ive also heard that they are the same servo with different gear trains, but i do not know the validity of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
But according to the specs the 7954's can go up to 7.4v and the 7955's can only go up to 6v. The torque rating at 6v for both servos is the same (333oz) and speed is the same at 6v as well (.15sec).

So it would seem to me that you'd want to go with the 7954's because you can bump up the voltage that you're supplying to them and get more torque and more speed.
the 7955 is fine under HV conditions, same as all other hitec HV servos. They came out a while back and will support warranty claims on HV, no ill effects. I know a TON of guys, almost all of the people who use 7955, use HV. I used 8.5v regulated to my 7955's with zero problems
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:28 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
save your money and buy a car.
for a car i need a driving licence... and im slowly slowly starting to learn a theory.... but yeah.....thats the plan...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:50 PM
Registered User
robj's Avatar
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
I use 7955 on 2s unregulated...many folks do this. they are plenty fast.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:56 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Done. Thanks for everyone's input and even PM's on this topic. That's why I love this place... Lots of good addicts that always want to help.

I'll order some 7955's and list my 985's for sale.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:16 PM
Registered User
hertzrepkeith's Avatar
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,115 Posts
You will not be sorry. I went with the 7955 on my 71 and just bought more for my 74 Edge. I would rather go bigger so that I can transfer them to a bigger plane when the time comes
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Done. Thanks for everyone's input and even PM's on this topic. That's why I love this place... Lots of good addicts that always want to help.

I'll order some 7955's and list my 985's for sale.
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:18 PM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
I just sold the 985's i had in my 65 vyper and the motor and esc in my 71 slick and shipped it all off to a buddy of mine in germany. Was thinking of going higher voltage servos too. But to be honest,the 985s are fantastic servos. Esp for the money. I have had two sets and never ever had one fail.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 01:59 PM
doh!
ryan_m's Avatar
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
So I'm going to upgrade the servos on my 71" Slick. It currently had 985's in there and I'm trying to decide between the 7954SH's and the 7955TG's. I don't really understand why someone would go with the 7955TG's as they appear to be slightly slower than the 7954SH's AND the 7954SH's have more torque (when going high voltage).

So I'm guessing that I'm missing a big benefit here. Am I? What servos would you recommend me upgrading to?
Are you interested in a set of Align DS-610's? Less torque than the 7955's, definitely the 30cc sized servo, but plenty for the 30cc class. Faster than the 7955's too.

I've got three DS-610's and a Savox 1258 (same thing). The Align's came from a Trex 600 kit and had only 5 flights when I bought them and stuck them in my 71" Slick. The Savox 1258 I purchased brand new and put in the Slick. The Slick has less than 50 flights, probably more like 30 on it. (Been flying my 70" Velox more than the Slick!)

Anyways if you are interested in these, I will sell all 4...
3 have Hobbyking metal servo arms on them, and the rudder has a heavy duty double arm (not metal).

If you are interested shoot me a PM!
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:01 PM
Team 3DHS
rcdrum's Avatar
USA, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Feb 2004
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
All stiffeners went out today with the exception of one set, and I have contacted that person for his address....

SteveT
What are the stiffeners for? Just got a 71, something I should know?

RC
rcdrum is offline Find More Posts by rcdrum
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:10 PM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdrum View Post
What are the stiffeners for? Just got a 71, something I should know?

RC
something about the sides of the fuse where the wingbolts go is weak.(correct me if im wrong) i looked at mine today. i got no cracks there so im golden.
(may get a set just for the heck of it tho if SteveT does more.) I just downed my 71 for a little bit but am gonna do a 3kplus watt setup on it for a little project soon.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:10 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Eagle34's Avatar
Pass Christian, MS
Joined Jan 2010
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Are you interested in a set of Align DS-610's? Less torque than the 7955's, definitely the 30cc sized servo, but plenty for the 30cc class. Faster than the 7955's too.

I've got three DS-610's and a Savox 1258 (same thing). The Align's came from a Trex 600 kit and had only 5 flights when I bought them and stuck them in my 71" Slick. The Savox 1258 I purchased brand new and put in the Slick. The Slick has less than 50 flights, probably more like 30 on it. (Been flying my 70" Velox more than the Slick!)

Anyways if you are interested in these, I will sell all 4...
3 have Hobbyking metal servo arms on them, and the rudder has a heavy duty double arm (not metal).

If you are interested shoot me a PM!

LOL I was just giving mike the low-down on these servos. Just put a set in my 71 Slick and have a set for my 74 Edge.

There you go Mike.
Eagle34 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle34
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:53 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctc View Post
Got my stiffeners a couple days ago.
Thanks Steve
No problem....

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:57 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Done. Thanks for everyone's input and even PM's on this topic. That's why I love this place... Lots of good addicts that always want to help.

I'll order some 7955's and list my 985's for sale.
I'll give you a "buck-2-98" for them....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:04 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdrum View Post
What are the stiffeners for? Just got a 71, something I should know?

RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
something about the sides of the fuse where the wingbolts go is weak.(correct me if im wrong) i looked at mine today. i got no cracks there so im golden.
(may get a set just for the heck of it tho if SteveT does more.) I just downed my 71 for a little bit but am gonna do a 3kplus watt setup on it for a little project soon.
A couple of guys have pulled the sides out of the Slick, and so I designed a carbon fiber stiffener to help alleviate this situation. I am not saying there is any kind of recurring "problem", just what was reported, and that I do make them. If you want a set, they are $10.00 +3% PayPal fees or pay as a gift with no fees. Please PM me your address if money sent as a gift. PM me for PayPal info. At this time, I have two sets left, but can get material to make more...

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll 3D hobby shop 51" slick or 55" SHP? appleflyer 3D Flying 24 Mar 24, 2009 06:29 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop's AJ Slick Clark Warfel Electric Plane Talk 3 May 08, 2008 07:31 AM