HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:55 PM
Joined Jan 2010
208 Posts
Good to know KM. Thanks for your input. Honestly, I don't have the patience for precision. I like 3D and still learning. That's nice may be I should go with extra72 rather than velox 70 (I love the look) but I will know after I play around with my 57extra for some time.
ThreeDwannabe is offline Find More Posts by ThreeDwannabe
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:04 PM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,061 Posts
KM
What about the 74 Edge? what do you compare it most too? Just curious because I just ordered one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
most people find the 72" Extra easier to 3D than the Slicks, it's the favorite all-rounder plane (especially for low and slow 3D'ing, hovering, rollers, error recovery is easier, etc) of many pilots including myself, Joe Smith, etc etc... some of the commentary that floats around just weirds me out and I think confuses people, but I think confusing people with an over-abundance of opinion is probably what the internet does best...

...but two great planes for sure. Slick is a little higher strung, from the designer it's meant to do a lot of precision things well, and it certainly delivers... I think it does track a little better for precision than the Extras. However, in post stall flight, most people will be more comfortable with the Extras... they have a lower wing loading and piles of authority on all axis, getting out of trouble is a bit less of a hassle, as is the reduction of getting into trouble, especially with the SFG's on. If it came down to learning 3D, I would side for the Extra no doubt, as would me having to throw down a 3D heavy routine... if I was flying a precision heavy routine my choice would be the Slicks. This is pretty much in alignment with the respective designers and how most people regard the planes...
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:55 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,415 Posts
Did you go gas or electric this time.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:55 PM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,061 Posts
If you are talking to me I went Electric! I have to walk into my garage everyday and look at a perfect 71 Slick that I really have not been able to fly (Like I would like too! I sent my motor off and the warrantee place sent me a little post it note in the mail saying that the parts they need to fix my DLE Motor are out of stock..Well ...WHAT PARTS! You would think they would atleast tell me what is out of stock! I am pretty frusterated! So Frusterated that I bought a 74 Edge Haha ! I just hope that I am going to really like it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Did you go gas or electric this time.
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:35 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
If you are talking to me I went Electric! I have to walk into my garage everyday and look at a perfect 71 Slick that I really have not been able to fly (Like I would like too! I sent my motor off and the warrantee place sent me a little post it note in the mail saying that the parts they need to fix my DLE Motor are out of stock..Well ...WHAT PARTS! You would think they would atleast tell me what is out of stock! I am pretty frusterated! So Frusterated that I bought a 74 Edge Haha ! I just hope that I am going to really like it.
You will!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:20 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,891 Posts
Just a quick reminder on how to install the carbon stiffeners..The Plywood piece goes at the top facing towards the outside of the plane. It it there to allow for the difference in the thickness of the stringer at the top and the plywood where the wing bolt goes through. Use thick or medium CA to install. Make sure to set the bottom into the "lip" on the bottom side stringer, and under the "lip" were the carbon fiber is on the top stringer. The stiffener will basically be flush with the strings once installed. And as I said previously, use a pencil or a dowel of the correct size (5/16") stuck through the bolt hole to help line the stiffener up when installing.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:46 AM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2010
130 Posts
Ok, I'm changing motor in my Slick going from the A50-12L 8s Xoar 18X8 to the Motrofly DM5320-300. I've got two choice for the ESC that I already have; CC 100amp or the CC HV 160 amp Lite, not a big different on the weight 25g between the two. I'll be running Xoar 20X10 to star but will change to either Xoar 20X8 or 19X10 not sure yet. Would appreciat your input on this setup. Thanks
mdauth is offline Find More Posts by mdauth
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:05 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,398 Posts
Anyone that tells me the extra is easier to hover and has more tail authority than the slick is just crazy in my mind. I fly them back to back. No way. Its not just me either. There is a bunch of us and we all feel this way.
It does harrier easier and more stable low and slow. The slick you have to keep on the stick a bit more.
Now if lm going to fly nice smooth low and slow 3d the extra is a much better choice. If l an going to fly low and slow with a bit of precision and high energy the slick is what l will want.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:29 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Anyone that tells me the extra is easier to hover and has more tail authority than the slick is just crazy in my mind. I fly them back to back. No way. Its not just me either. There is a bunch of us and we all feel this way.
It does harrier easier and more stable low and slow. The slick you have to keep on the stick a bit more.
Now if lm going to fly nice smooth low and slow 3d the extra is a much better choice. If l an going to fly low and slow with a bit of precision and high energy the slick is what l will want.
Which tail authority? When I first flew my 72 in a hover I noticed a little less yaw control, but much more pitch. The yaw I was quickly able to get use to. Also my slick is more neutral, that didn't work on the 72 or 74. Both are much more nose heavy than the old 71. I always fly with SFG's to.

I don't notice any difference now.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:37 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,149 Posts
The 74s i have flown are easier to hover than the slick, if theres even a difference l can hover both pretty easily.
Extras the rudder always feels very different to me. I loved my 87, but the slick is better for how I fly. Harrier to me is easier on the slicks. Or the 74 is like harrier on training wheels lol.
Meh they be different planes. Gooder for different strokes. I gotta go with Losi's opinion tho.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:56 AM
Joined Nov 2008
8,119 Posts
Now to add the 87's rudder seems porportionaly(?) larger than the 72's. Plenty of wiggle. Been a while since I've flown a 89 to compare. They all hover about the same to me, hard to tell, but I flew the 72 for the first time in a while and wow, very nice all around for sure.

Either one a winner.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:04 AM
Joined Nov 2008
8,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
This is what I've done, it's easy and works great. Not sure what you call it but it's one of those things that goes into a file folder so you can name your files. Anyway just cut it to length, hold it up to your rudder then use your iron for Ultracote heat it up and it will shape it to the rudder, to it for the bottom and trailing edge then glue them on. It's clear and you can hardly notice it. The plastic is hard and you can drag the rudder all day long and it won't wear thru.
I've heard some glue a little piece of fuzzy velcro at the tip. I haven't a big issue on grass. But where I fly the 87 99% of the time it's hard surface. And it was taking a beating. I glued on a thin piece of tin, only about 1.25" long, just at the tip. Not pretty, not noticeable, works.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:37 AM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Hey did smithder maiden his slick yet? If so l missed that post. Wondering what he thought of it and the setup.

Still waiting on wing tube from 3DHS. I have the motor and cowling mounted and tail servos installed. Tube should be in on Tuesday so I am hoping to finish most of the plane this weekend. Need to install wing servos and work out what servo arms I am going to use.

Thanks for checking in. Can't wait to fly it. Motrolfly 5320 looks awesome. It even bolted right up using the stock spacers.
smithder is offline Find More Posts by smithder
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:22 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,149 Posts
Gosh you guys are putting massive motors on this plane lol
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:25 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY