SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:33 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Wichita Falls
Joined Nov 2011
70 Posts
Cool thanks guys. Maybe I'll just seal it with that pen while I'm putting it together then.

I've been debating back and forth between this and the EF 70" Extra....(I've got the 48" extra, never flown a 3dhs but want to!) and right now it's neck and neck. Little issues like this could sway the vote for me. Although a guy just had his cf main gear snap on the EF extra after three flights so that kind of scared me away from that!
ellzy_21 is offline Find More Posts by ellzy_21
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:48 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellzy_21 View Post
Cool thanks guys. Maybe I'll just seal it with that pen while I'm putting it together then.

I've been debating back and forth between this and the EF 70" Extra....(I've got the 48" extra, never flown a 3dhs but want to!) and right now it's neck and neck. Little issues like this could sway the vote for me. Although a guy just had his cf main gear snap on the EF extra after three flights so that kind of scared me away from that!
3DHS and Extreme Flight are in my opinion, the two top manufacturers of light weight fully 3D capable aircraft. There are other companies that say their planes are 3D capable, and yes, they are, but they are normally bigger and heavier, and many of us have seen their planes come apart mid-air "trying" to do the things that 3DHS and Extreme Flight planes do. That said, of course, almost anything can happen to any plane. A guy slams a plane down, and it looks like nothing is wrong (or doesn't even check to see if anything is wrong), goes up and flies again, and make a landing that doesn't look like it was really hard and breaks the gear or something else. He then says....crappy plane.. I made and easy landing and it broke!! So, just because you see something like that, don't think that the plane is bad, or the manufacturer is....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:50 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,462 Posts
I have flown both. The slick is much nicer and bigger. The slick hands down is a better flying plane to me.
Not saying the extra is bad just not a well rounded as the slick
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:56 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,169 Posts
Nothing flies like a Slick!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:06 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,462 Posts
Hey did smithder maiden his slick yet? If so l missed that post. Wondering what he thought of it and the setup.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:09 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,169 Posts
Haven't heard....(or I missed it also)..

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:11 PM
Registered User
United States, TX, Wichita Falls
Joined Nov 2011
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
3DHS and Extreme Flight are in my opinion, the two top manufacturers of light weight fully 3D capable aircraft. There are other companies that say their planes are 3D capable, and yes, they are, but they are normally bigger and heavier, and many of us have seen their planes come apart mid-air "trying" to do the things that 3DHS and Extreme Flight planes do. That said, of course, almost anything can happen to any plane. A guy slams a plane down, and it looks like nothing is wrong (or doesn't even check to see if anything is wrong), goes up and flies again, and make a landing that doesn't look like it was really hard and breaks the gear or something else. He then says....crappy plane.. I made and easy landing and it broke!! So, just because you see something like that, don't think that the plane is bad, or the manufacturer is....
Very true....I've LOVED my little EF extra to death which is why I'm so tempted to get the big brother, but I think it's time to break into the 3dhs family and give the slick a shot. Thanks your input is greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I have flown both. The slick is much nicer and bigger. The slick hands down is a better flying plane to me.
Not saying the extra is bad just not a well rounded as the slick
Good to know! I love upright/inverted harriers and from what I've read/seen the slick does both REALLY well which is a huge plus for me.
ellzy_21 is offline Find More Posts by ellzy_21
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:42 PM
Registered User
Babaralonius's Avatar
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Dec 2011
100 Posts
losifanactic
Yeah I wish I would have done that. I just replaced the stock rudder hinges with the larger robarts. I was lucky enough that my rudder broke off while I wasnt in the air; could have been real bad. ha ha.
Any ideas as to how I might remove the elevators without destroying them to replace with the larger hinges.
Babaralonius is offline Find More Posts by Babaralonius
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:01 PM
Registered User
robj's Avatar
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

So how did your rudder break off? I've stepped on a wing before.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:07 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaralonius View Post
losifanactic
Yeah I wish I would have done that. I just replaced the stock rudder hinges with the larger robarts. I was lucky enough that my rudder broke off while I wasnt in the air; could have been real bad. ha ha.
Any ideas as to how I might remove the elevators without destroying them to replace with the larger hinges.
If you are really careful, you can replace the hinges with actually removing the whole elevator.

To do so, cut the hinges with a razor saw. Find a piece of brass tubing that is the same, or just slightly larger diameter of the existing hinges and cut a piece about 3" long. ream the inside of the brass tubing with an Exacto knife or a tapered bit in a Dremel tool, then file "teeth" into the end of it. Use a Dremel tool with a very small grinding burr to bring the diameter of the ends of the cut hinges down to where the tubing will fit over it. Put the tubing in a drill and fit of the hinges and use the tubing to drill them out. Once out, you can fold the elevator far enough to fit new hinges in.

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:10 PM
Registered User
robj's Avatar
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
If you are really careful, you can replace the hinges with actually removing the whole elevator.

To do so, cut the hinges with a razor saw. Find a piece of brass tubing that is the same, or just slightly larger diameter of the existing hinges and cut a piece about 3" long. ream the inside of the brass tubing with an Exacto knife or a tapered bit in a Dremel tool, then file "teeth" into the end of it. Use a Dremel tool with a very small grinding burr to bring the diameter of the ends of the cut hinges down to where the tubing will fit over it. Put the tubing in a drill and fit of the hinges and use the tubing to drill them out. Once out, you can fold the elevator far enough to fit new hinges in.

SteveT.
Can you make those to? How much shipped??

robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:43 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,417 Posts
A big shout out THANK YOU!! to Steve T. for the side braces he made and even mailed Priority mail, got them today.

Really nicely done, thank you Steve

Ole
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:44 PM
Registered User
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
3DHS and Extreme Flight are in my opinion, the two top manufacturers of light weight fully 3D capable aircraft. There are other companies that say their planes are 3D capable, and yes, they are, but they are normally bigger and heavier, and many of us have seen their planes come apart mid-air "trying" to do the things that 3DHS and Extreme Flight planes do. That said, of course, almost anything can happen to any plane. A guy slams a plane down, and it looks like nothing is wrong (or doesn't even check to see if anything is wrong), goes up and flies again, and make a landing that doesn't look like it was really hard and breaks the gear or something else. He then says....crappy plane.. I made and easy landing and it broke!! So, just because you see something like that, don't think that the plane is bad, or the manufacturer is....

SteveT

i was thinking you didnt like EF... if i recall you had 48 extra and sold it...

p.s. since i started flying EF, all i can say is that i like 60 edge more than my 57", but in smaller airframes 51" slick tops the bill for me.... i think i would like laser just as much or even more , IF they beef up landing gear and offer bigger wheelpants...
i had a 48 mxs, landing gear was very fragile and overall i just couldnt get the feel for it, now i have laser and love it, but i all the time worry about LG snapping...

i'm waiting for my 48" 3dhs edge to be delivered, would be interesting to see what i think about it now;...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:51 PM
Just go with the flow
goflyhighrc's Avatar
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Yeah some sort of rudder tip protector would be awesome


This is what I've done, it's easy and works great. Not sure what you call it but it's one of those things that goes into a file folder so you can name your files. Anyway just cut it to length, hold it up to your rudder then use your iron for Ultracote heat it up and it will shape it to the rudder, to it for the bottom and trailing edge then glue them on. It's clear and you can hardly notice it. The plastic is hard and you can drag the rudder all day long and it won't wear thru.
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:58 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2010
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellzy_21 View Post
Very true....I've LOVED my little EF extra to death which is why I'm so tempted to get the big brother, but I think it's time to break into the 3dhs family and give the slick a shot. Thanks your input is greatly appreciated.



Good to know! I love upright/inverted harriers and from what I've read/seen the slick does both REALLY well which is a huge plus for me.

Have you ever thought about getting a Velox? You can do the most violent tumbles that you wonder how that plane survived that abuse and came down in one piece! they do solid harriers too. I am not sure honestly how they compare to the 71 slick or 72 extra.
ThreeDwannabe is offline Find More Posts by ThreeDwannabe
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll 3D hobby shop 51" slick or 55" SHP? appleflyer 3D Flying 24 Mar 24, 2009 06:29 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop's AJ Slick Clark Warfel Electric Plane Talk 3 May 08, 2008 07:31 AM