SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:59 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
It's a fun little plane. Perfect for backyard huckin. It flies very similar to what the 3DHS Edge flies like on a 4s setup. Or maybe something between 3s and 4s. It could use a motor that could handle a slightly bigger prop. I've been trying to get a Park 300 on there because then I could move up to a 8 inch prop but I'm not seeing any good way to mount this motor to the plane.
My backyard is not big enough to even huck a mcpx, so even though I like the idea of having a small plane/heli to fly close by, if I'm going to load the truck, even to go to the local school yard...............I might as well bring something bigger IMO
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:20 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
My backyard is not big enough to even huck a mcpx, so even though I like the idea of having a small plane/heli to fly close by, if I'm going to load the truck, even to go to the local school yard...............I might as well bring something bigger IMO
If that's the case then you are certainly better off just flying something bigger.

I bought this to keep in the car and fly whenever I get the chance. I've been going out for 3 or so battery packs at lunch during the work week...
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:26 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,303 Posts
Quote:
If that's the case then you are certainly better off just flying something bigger.

I bought this to keep in the car and fly whenever I get the chance. I've been going out for 3 or so battery packs at lunch during the work week...
Yeah i'll be flying mine at lunch when i'm at work. Should be fun
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:16 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
Ok did some destruction testing on the Robart hinges in the cold... Small ones broke fairly easy with some force sideways on it. Believe it or not the bigger was broke with less force then the smaller probably due to the fact that there was no give at all to the hinge. Temp was 10F. Leaning even more to the CA hinge.Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354425306.701295.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 199.6 KB
Description:
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:17 AM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Broke all 4 of my rudder hinges with a super soft rudder strike. I'm sure the cold made the plastic brittle. (10F out today) Anyone have experience with these hinges in the cold or a suggestion for at good replacement. I am contemplating two ways to go... I bought some Robarts in this size and one size up as a option, but I don't want it to happen again. Are the Robart brand hinges stronger when cold? The way I am leaning though is CA hinges, which from experience are super tough but do wear out. If I will go this route, I will seal the hinge gap for added insurance. Any thoughts? Also, if I replace with Robarts any suggestions on drilling the old ones out or do you guys add hinges next to the old ones?
I'd avoid ca hinges on something this size, use the Robarts. The method I use to repair was suggested by someone else a while back and others use as well. Use a soldering iron with a narrow tip to melt out as much of the old hinges as possible. I've also used a drill after getting most of the old hing out to finish things off. If the smaller Robarts are at least the size of the original's and fit well use those, else drill the holes out a bit more and use the bigger ones. I've done this repair quite a few times on my planes this size and it's pretty easy.
weaser42 is online now Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:38 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,442 Posts
Quote:

makes total sense, if I actually went somewhere to work I'd buy one to have in the trunk, like I said the one I flew was tons of fun
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:39 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
if you fly in 10 deg F just use blenderm hinges.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:47 AM
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
I decided I was going to give the Robarts one more shot... If they break as easy as they did the first time... CA hinges in this climate are way more durable. Combined with sealing the hinge gap... I think they would be pretty strong.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:59 AM
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
BTW, thanks for the tip about using the soldering iron worked great
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:05 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,640 Posts
I built and flew a Slipstream brand 72" Sbach that had CA hinges....but I never really trusted them for a plane this size...The Robart's are much better. Two things to remember is that pretty much any plastic will break at 10F. and that under normal circumstances you don't "normally" put a side load on them like you did when you broke them in your hand...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:06 AM
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
I built and flew a Slipstream brand 72" Sbach that had CA hinges....but I never really trusted them for a plane this size...The Robart's are much better. Two things to remember is that pretty much any plastic will break at 10F. and that under normal circumstances you don't "normally" put a side load on them like you did when you broke them in your hand...

SteveT
However I put a side load when I broke them this afternoon with a small rudder tap. I mean it was a baby tap. CA hinges alone would of brushed it off like nothing happened.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:02 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,640 Posts
Well..it's your plane, but if I was doing any hard 3D with it, I wouldn't trust them.....YMMV....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:26 AM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
Always fun with the kids....wish this rain would stop. It was so beautiful last week
GetSome! is offline Find More Posts by GetSome!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:53 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
That edge does sound fun, but I am saving up for an 87" shp. So, I'll hold off.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:32 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,006 Posts
I flew my 70" with the high voltage servos and the new 20x8 Xoar cf prop yesterday and I like it much better. Effortless hovers and harriers much easier. But I did find out one thing about cf props, man are they tough. I now have the lg mounted with three 1/4" nylon bolts which works quite well up to now. I must have hit a really rough spot on my final landing (of course) and broke the lg off, unfortunately when the prop struck it didn't give at all and tore the whole motor mount off the front. Not a real big deal, I'll just make a new one and put it in and do some other minor repairs. I think I'm either going to bump up the screw size to 5/16" or add two more 1/4" nylon bolts for just a little more strength. These darn soccer fields are just so rough and hard on lg. Most of my repairs are due to this type of incident, but if it weren't for the soccer fields I wouldn't have anywhere to fly so I just have to live with it. I am trying to come up with some type of gear mount that is rigid enough for nice landings but can absorb some of the rough spots when landing, and not add much weight to he plane.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy