HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:31 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
The 58 is much more violent than the 48. Smoother too when slowed down. The 58 edge makes the mxs look tame when you yank the sticks.
Out of all the 55 to 64 inch planes I have owned or flown the 58edge is my favorite.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:33 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
rcbirk I disagree with not comparing and here is why. I can only spend a dollar once so there has to be some basis for choosing... enter the comparison. But hey it's not a fair comparison... sry, but I have to make a choice between two good things and my dollar is only good once and I can't afford every airplane I'd ever want.

So long as there are comparisons with proximity to what you are looking for you have to get as much info as you can, make a comparison, and make a choice.
good point... when I bought my first 3d plane it was a between the 3dhs 48"edge, EF 48"mxs and 48" Edge. Only went with EF because the blue 3dhs was out of stock... if I know what I know now I wouldn't even of considered it. Comparisons help.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
The 58 is much more violent than the 48. Smoother too when slowed down. The 58 edge makes the mxs look tame when you yank the sticks.
Out of all the 55 to 64 inch planes I have owned or flown the 58edge is my favorite.
Is it as floaty? The 48" was way to light... I don't care for the feel of a plane too light.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:41 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
No not as light on the wing as the 48. I dont care for a light super floaty plane either. The 58 has the weight to carry it self threw maneuvers. Took the 6s ef setup out of the ef edge and putting it into a 3dhe edge. Can't wait to see how 1609watts is going to feel like. The edge l have been flying has the 1250watt Motrolfly 4s setup.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:45 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,735 Posts
It will be a rocket... what weight of batts?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:50 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
6s 3300s.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:46 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
This is interesting, I have been thinking about another 60" plane and I am partial to the Edges. What size 6s batts are you running? I'm pretty heavily invested in 4s but could double up on 3s 2200's pretty easy. I love my 60" EF Edge, it's been my fav for a couple of years now but I do like the idea of something with a little more snap and violence to it. I've been toying with the 60" MXS but I have the 48" and it's a great plane but just doesn't fit my style like an Edge so I am a little hesitant on the 60" MXS.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:54 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
This is interesting, I have been thinking about another 60" plane and I am partial to the Edges. What size 6s batts are you running? I'm pretty heavily invested in 4s but could double up on 3s 2200's pretty easy. I love my 60" EF Edge, it's been my fav for a couple of years now but I do like the idea of something with a little more snap and violence to it. I've been toying with the 60" MXS but I have the 48" and it's a great plane but just doesn't fit my style like an Edge so I am a little hesitant on the 60" MXS.
A couple of guys at my field have the EF 60" Extra and they love it. It is definitely snappy and is a great looking airframe/scheme too. It's worth serious consideration.
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:15 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
Here is a pic of the Slick with my new Edge 540QQ. I need more batteries for my Slick sooo bad. I can't stand having 1 pack. At least i'll have something to fly while i charge my battery for the Slick....
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:39 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
If you're debating between the EF edge and extra, I've owned both and I would say the edge is a great floaty 3d trainer, very predictable, very easy to fly. I preferred the edge over the extra, i felt way more comfortable, especially low and slow! The extra is a bit more advanced, while it doesn't slow down quite as well as the edge, it still does it well. Where the extra excels is in the tracking and snaps, they are very smooth and axial. I still have a lot to learn so I preferred the edge, but I think more advanced pilots would like the extra. I don't own either anymore since I discovered the slicks though, my 51 and 70 were my favorites! Either one is a great pick, just chose based on your flying style!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
Last edited by DaaBears; Dec 01, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:08 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Here is a pic of the Slick with my new Edge 540QQ. I need more batteries for my Slick sooo bad. I can't stand having 1 pack. At least i'll have something to fly while i charge my battery for the Slick....
How do you like that Edge 540QQ? Does it do good 3d?
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:28 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
How do you like that Edge 540QQ? Does it do good 3d?
Haven't flown it yet but turnerm has and it looks fun so i got one
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:37 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Haven't flown it yet but turnerm has and it looks fun so i got one
I few a friend's last week, lots of fun, but for $169 you could have bought 3 batteries for the 71
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4,735 Posts
Broke all 4 of my rudder hinges with a super soft rudder strike. I'm sure the cold made the plastic brittle. (10F out today) Anyone have experience with these hinges in the cold or a suggestion for at good replacement. I am contemplating two ways to go... I bought some Robarts in this size and one size up as a option, but I don't want it to happen again. Are the Robart brand hinges stronger when cold? The way I am leaning though is CA hinges, which from experience are super tough but do wear out. If I will go this route, I will seal the hinge gap for added insurance. Any thoughts? Also, if I replace with Robarts any suggestions on drilling the old ones out or do you guys add hinges next to the old ones?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:54 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
I few a friend's last week, lots of fun, but for $169 you could have bought 3 batteries for the 71
It's a fun little plane. Perfect for backyard huckin. It flies very similar to what the 3DHS Edge flies like on a 4s setup. Or maybe something between 3s and 4s. It could use a motor that could handle a slightly bigger prop. I've been trying to get a Park 300 on there because then I could move up to a 8 inch prop but I'm not seeing any good way to mount this motor to the plane.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm