SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:52 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,726 Posts
I definitely love my 74" on 8S....and I am going to take the brand new A50-14L that has never even been flown out out of my 72" Extra, and replace it with the Hacker A60-5S, like the one in my 74"....so, I am going to sell it if anybody is interested...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:24 AM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,638 Posts
Maidened my slick today and got 3 flights... awesome power and definitely a sweet flyer. The 12s setup pulled the plane around nicely. Took it fairly easy. Torque rolls and hovers are very predictable, inverted harriers are sooooo stable, and KE took 7% up elevator and 4% aileron mix for locked in feel. Pretty happy as this is the biggest plane I have flown. My flying partner just maidened his slick with a 4325-380 with a 18x10 (needs to prop up) today also, and it seamed sluggish compared to mine. I really want to try a 20x8.
Setup:
Motor: DM 4330-216
ESC: Ice 80HV
Prop: Xoar 19x8PJN
BEC: Castle Pro set to 8.0 volts
Servos: HS-7954sh
Batteries: Glacer Lipo 6s 2600mAh

Here is a screen shot of a static test on the Castle logging software
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bryansifsof44; Nov 24, 2012 at 01:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:09 AM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Just had a blast with my Slick again this morning. That plane can really handle some serious wind. It started blowing up around 10mph and the plane just didn't notice the wind at all. I'm starting to get really comfortable with it.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:10 AM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Maidened my slick today and got 3 flights... awesome power and definitely a sweet flyer. The 12s setup pulled the plane around nicely. Took it fairly easy. Torque rolls and hovers are very predictable, inverted harriers are sooooo stable, and KE took 7% up elevator and 4% aileron mix for locked in feel. Pretty happy as this is the biggest plane I have flown. My flying partner just maidened his slick with a 4325-380 with a 18x10 (needs to prop up) today also, and it seamed sluggish compared to mine. I really want to try a 20x8.
Setup:
Motor: DM 4330-216
ESC: Ice 80HV
Prop: Xoar 19x8PJN
BEC: Castle Pro set to 8.0 volts
Servos: HS-7954sh
Batteries: Glacer Lipo 6s 2600mAh

Here is a screen shot of a static test on the Castle logging software
Very nice! Glad you got your maiden done. This plane just keeps getting better and better for me.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:02 PM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Maidened my slick today and got 3 flights... awesome power and definitely a sweet flyer. The 12s setup pulled the plane around nicely. Took it fairly easy. Torque rolls and hovers are very predictable, inverted harriers are sooooo stable, and KE took 7% up elevator and 4% aileron mix for locked in feel. Pretty happy as this is the biggest plane I have flown. My flying partner just maidened his slick with a 4325-380 with a 18x10 (needs to prop up) today also, and it seamed sluggish compared to mine. I really want to try a 20x8.
Setup:
Motor: DM 4330-216
ESC: Ice 80HV
Prop: Xoar 19x8PJN
BEC: Castle Pro set to 8.0 volts
Servos: HS-7954sh
Batteries: Glacer Lipo 6s 2600mAh

Here is a screen shot of a static test on the Castle logging software
2700 watts? wow thats got to be sick on that plane.
Congrats!
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:04 PM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
2700 watts? wow thats got to be sick on that plane.
Congrats!
Just got 3 more flights today... Coming from a 1700 watt 60" EXP... 2700 watts suited me well. How much diff in output do you guys think the 20x8 would have? I tend to like the bigger disk on planes... Around 29% of the wingspan is what I shoot for given I have the clearance... With the slick there is plenty. But I do like the 19x8 too.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:13 PM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Just got 3 more flights today... Coming from a 1700 watt 60" EXP... 2700 watts suited me well. How much diff in output do you guys think the 20x8 would have? I tend to like the bigger disk on planes... Around 29% of the wingspan is what I shoot for given I have the clearance... With the slick there is plenty. But I do like the 19x8 too.
I have 20x8 on my 71
I also have different kv than you and on the 4325.8s
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:39 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,008 Posts
I ran a 20x8 protek on my gasser... sweet prop!
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:18 PM
bryansifsof44's Avatar
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
I have 20x8 on my 71
I also have different kv than you and on the 4325.8s
Have you ever compared the power draw of the two (19x8 vs 20x8). I probably will just order one to see if it is a option for me.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:48 AM
Registered User
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Have you ever compared the power draw of the two (19x8 vs 20x8). I probably will just order one to see if it is a option for me.
I just switched from a 19x10 APC to a Xoar 20x8 cf prop on my Motrolfly 4325-280 on 8s and it actually draws just slightly less amps with the Xoar cf prop. I haven't had a chance to fly it yet between crappy weather and my current 7 day week work schedule so I can't comment on how it feels performance wise. Although I'm sure it's going to be an improvement due to how could hear the prop blades flexing under a heavy load with the APC. I hope after this week my work load will get back to normal and I can take a couple of days off with some decent weather to test this thing. But for now it just has to wait.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:27 AM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I just switched from a 19x10 APC to a Xoar 20x8 cf prop on my Motrolfly 4325-280 on 8s and it actually draws just slightly less amps with the Xoar cf prop. I haven't had a chance to fly it yet between crappy weather and my current 7 day week work schedule so I can't comment on how it feels performance wise. Although I'm sure it's going to be an improvement due to how could hear the prop blades flexing under a heavy load with the APC. I hope after this week my work load will get back to normal and I can take a couple of days off with some decent weather to test this thing. But for now it just has to wait.
I pull about 69-70 amps with my 280 kv and carbon 20x8.. Plenty of room to go up a little if i wanted to but the power is really good so I havent touched it since the first flight with that setup.
Harrier is sooo stable on this plane.i dunno if the 20 prop helps but it def dont hurt.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:45 PM
Registered User
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
I pull about 69-70 amps with my 280 kv and carbon 20x8.. Plenty of room to go up a little if i wanted to but the power is really good so I havent touched it since the first flight with that setup.
Harrier is sooo stable on this plane.i dunno if the 20 prop helps but it def dont hurt.
Cool, mine was pulling 71 amps so this sounds about right. I know this won't stress the motor, esc, or batteries and should have good power. The 19x10 had good power but the blades would flex and it wasn't holding power.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:49 PM
Registered User
hertzrepkeith's Avatar
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,114 Posts
Ok so I am still having issues with my DLE 30CC. I just ordered the Bowman Rings and I think I am going to order a new carb to see if that will fix my issues. What kind of up grade can I do to my reed? I hear everyone talking about it but I do not know a whole lot about it.
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:12 PM
3d NOOBular
3DNater's Avatar
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,008 Posts
Basically Frank Bowman just takes your reed block and makes certain it is completely smooth and even. He takes some high grit sandpaper on a very flat workshop table and sands the block a bit to be sure there are no ridges and that the surfaces the reeds go against are on the same plane. You can easily do it yourself. Just don't get too carried away.

Then when you put the reeds back on the block you want to be certain the screws are not putting a twist in them as you tighten them down. Once that is all done you should have as good of performance out of that reed block as you are going to get.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:22 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Basically Frank Bowman just takes your reed block and makes certain it is completely smooth and even. He takes some high grit sandpaper on a very flat workshop table and sands the block a bit to be sure there are no ridges and that the surfaces the reeds go against are on the same plane. You can easily do it yourself. Just don't get too carried away.

Then when you put the reeds back on the block you want to be certain the screws are not putting a twist in them as you tighten them down. Once that is all done you should have as good of performance out of that reed block as you are going to get.
To do this, use wet or dry sand paper of no more than 800 grit (use it wet) and best to do it on a sheet of glass if you don't have a granite surface plate which is what I used to use to do this.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll 3D hobby shop 51" slick or 55" SHP? appleflyer 3D Flying 24 Mar 24, 2009 06:29 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop's AJ Slick Clark Warfel Electric Plane Talk 3 May 08, 2008 07:31 AM