HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
Ok but what about if you were in a hover and you were using your rudder, wouldnt this throw your plane out of what because anytime you are using your rudder you are getting a mix on some Elevator input. Maybe I am wrong but that is what it would seem like to me.
Sure there is some effect but not enough to throw plane out... Mix just puts a very small amount if deflection on elevator and aileron. Hardly noticeable unless you look closely to the surface. With little effect with a relatively small amount of air going over it. I think it helps general flight though, ie: bank turns and such.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:29 PM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Sure there is some effect but not enough to throw plane out... Mix just puts a very small amount if deflection on elevator and aileron. Hardly noticeable unless you look closely to the surface. With little effect with a relatively small amount of air going over it. I think it helps general flight though, ie: bank turns and such.
Ok That make sense! I will go ahead and add the mixes into my planes! Thanks for the input.
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:05 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,958 Posts
I don't run any mixes on my planes, mainly because I just try to fine tune them to the point where they don't need it. If I have a plane that just can't be made to fly without a mix I just get rid of it and try another better designed plane. Pretty much all of my planes are set to fly hands off ke or with such little coupling it's no harder to fly it out than one with the mixes responding to wind conditions. This is probably why I stopped using a mix because it always seems like you just wind up flying it out all the time due to varying wind and the changing direction you are flying relative to wind direction anyway. As far as how this affects the rest of the flight envelope I can't say I notice any difference as long as the setup gives you a proper flying plane as opposed to one with a mix. But this is just me and I tend to just do what works for me. Like everything else in RC, you just have to experiment and spend a lot of time finding what works best for you. For me this is half the fun.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:47 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,588 Posts
Your always going to have to fly a KE... a mix just gets you close to neutral stick inputs, but coupling effect changes at verying speeds, different CGs, and AOA. You are a jetti master if you could get all coupling out with tuning. What type of tuning are you doing? These plane we fly have a very low coupling which is one of the reasons they fly so great. My 60" edge mix is pretty dialed in... I could cut throttle, put in KE and slam rudder and it will drop with very little corrections from the other surfaces. Get down to the deck and start added throttle to maintain a low slow high AOA KE also with very little input other then fully deflected rudder. Other planes have been not so good. But to each his own... I went for months without KE mix before I realized I liked how it helped my KE.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:31 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,092 Posts
ok guys I could really use some advice here!!!! About a month ago I started having problems with my 3 week old fortitude fuel tank. When I would turn my plane upside down and then right when I turned it back over it would die! So I put a new fortitude tank in and after about 3 weeks it just started doing it again. The plane is running great! And this morning I had another Dead stick! What should I do????
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:05 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,516 Posts
Get rid of Fortitude tank???

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:39 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Your always going to have to fly a KE... a mix just gets you close to neutral stick inputs, but coupling effect changes at verying speeds, different CGs, and AOA. You are a jetti master if you could get all coupling out with tuning. What type of tuning are you doing? These plane we fly have a very low coupling which is one of the reasons they fly so great. My 60" edge mix is pretty dialed in... I could cut throttle, put in KE and slam rudder and it will drop with very little corrections from the other surfaces. Get down to the deck and start added throttle to maintain a low slow high AOA KE also with very little input other then fully deflected rudder. Other planes have been not so good. But to each his own... I went for months without KE mix before I realized I liked how it helped my KE.
Maybe I'm just lucky in my setups or I'm so used to flying without mixes I don't realize how much I'm inputting but I can do a descending ke or hake with little or no inputs on all of my planes. Maybe it's time to try it again if I ever get a nice calm day to set up some mixes and see how it feels with the rest of the flight envelope. It's worth a try just in case I'm missing something. Heck, I'm a little better than I was a couple of years ago so maybe it will make a difference.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:24 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,836 Posts
Thanksgiving Day Pre-Turkey Flying series....

Warmup Flight with some cantankerous winds swirling around all morning.

71 Slick Flying Turkeys 2012 #1 (6 min 35 sec)

Flight two with a KE Slider to Landing!

71 Slick Flying Turkey 2012 KE SLIDER Landing! (4 min 26 sec)

Third and final flight of the day, changed up the maneuvers mix a bit...

71 Snappin'-Poppin'-Slidin'-Smoothin' Slick! (4 min 39 sec)
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Last edited by heritageflyer; Nov 22, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Get rid of Fortitude tank???

SteveT
LoL! Steve I would have to agree with you! Has anyone had problems with these tank having this problem? Or is it just me?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:21 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,928 Posts
fuel tank is a rather simple device. Are you 100% sure its the tank?
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:25 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,836 Posts
Does this sound like that Pressure in the Cowl issue others have??
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:27 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,928 Posts
that's what it sounds like to me.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Does this sound like that Pressure in the Cowl issue others have??
What do you mean??? The only reason I say it is the fuel tank is because when I was having this issue before I put a brand new one in and it fixed my problem. Then today a month later with the new one it did it again. I took that tank out just now and put another one in there and it did not die on me, but.......I did seem to idle down a tiny bit as if it were wanting to die.. What do you mean Pressure under the cowl. This plane is my first love LOL and I would hate to lose it to something like this soo any help that you guys can give me I really appreciate it
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:16 PM
"Failure is not an option"
West Babylon NY
Joined Dec 2006
528 Posts
Has the fuel line to the clunk hardened?
TOFAST4U2C is offline Find More Posts by TOFAST4U2C
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:25 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
What do you mean??? The only reason I say it is the fuel tank is because when I was having this issue before I put a brand new one in and it fixed my problem. Then today a month later with the new one it did it again. I took that tank out just now and put another one in there and it did not die on me, but.......I did seem to idle down a tiny bit as if it were wanting to die.. What do you mean Pressure under the cowl. This plane is my first love LOL and I would hate to lose it to something like this soo any help that you guys can give me I really appreciate it
I'm not into Gassers (yet), but this was just discussed in the past few days on the Fly Low thread.

Cowls not having enough Exit Venting to relieve the pressure in the cowl, causes issues with the engines cutting off when rolling Inverted.