SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:27 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Sorry about the donuts getting messed up Joe....

So....for those times when I need to remove blind nuts that are glued in...here is how I do it....

Screw a bolt into the blind nut and then heat the bolt with a soldering iron or soldering gun, then tap the bolt with a mallet to break the blind nut loose.

If there are donuts, then once the blind nuts are out, you can use Golden West Super Solvent to remove the donuts....

SteveT
That's the stuff i used...i just was at the end of my bottle and didn't have enough i guess. Oh well, i'll get it worked out. The motor looks sweet! I'm excited to get it mounted. I should be flying the plane by next week and hopefully i can get some video.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:33 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
So I'm currently using Xoar props on my Slick. Should I be considering something else? I like the Xoars but I'm open to trying other props if there's a benefit.

I'm also running a pull/pull setup and my batteries are pretty far back but not on the wing tube by a long shot. I'm close to the middle to back third of the tray. Mine is perfectly neutral with zero coupling. I didn't even need an ounce of trim. Love it!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:40 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,723 Posts
Came accross these:
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...bon-fiber.html
They are a bit pricy and I don't even know how they will do on a electric motor. The props are epoxy foam filled... they say they are light but don't give a weight.
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:48 PM
USA, TX, Pearland
Joined Mar 2005
352 Posts
Battery Plugs

Are Deans plugs up to the task for these larger planes? Just got some new Nano-techs and wondering if I should cut the plugs and solder on some deans or change the esc to the bullet style.

Thanks!
smithder is offline Find More Posts by smithder
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:37 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Came accross these:
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...bon-fiber.html
They are a bit pricy and I don't even know how they will do on a electric motor. The props are epoxy foam filled... they say they are light but don't give a weight.
Tower sells them too. I have a 20X10 on a Hacker A60-5S running 8S....they are gas props...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:39 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithder View Post
Are Deans plugs up to the task for these larger planes? Just got some new Nano-techs and wondering if I should cut the plugs and solder on some deans or change the esc to the bullet style.

Thanks!
Deans are good for 100 amps.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:15 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,723 Posts
Some are raving about the Savox 1258TG, which is the same servo as the Align 610 . Align has come out with DS615 that they are using to replace the 610s in there newer kits, which are slightly faster and stronger at a cheaper price. I think the reason for the price difference for the 615 is it has hardened high strength super alloy gears instead of the titanium alloy gears. I have the 610s in my 600 pro hell and they are super fast. I'm still undecided.

Steve, how did the prop perform on the hacker?

Edit: Ok I have narrowed it down to two servos...
Savox SC-1258MG $385 for 4 shipped
Hitec HS-7945SH $310 for 4 shipped.
Both spec out good... I use the HS-7245HV in my 60" plane and love them, they have a speed of .11sec. The 7954s have a speed of .12sec and are slightly more torquey then the .11sec Savox servos. Both are high volt. What do you guys think? Any bad experience with either? I don't know how dependable the Savox servos are. Which is why I am leaning towards the cheaper Hitecs but wish they offered a slightly faster servo which I would sacrifice a little torque for the same price. The ones they offer are TGs and $540 for 4... way to much. Also, been using Hitecs with success for years and have had great experience with their CS... so for me that is a plus
bryansifsof44 is online now Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bryansifsof44; Nov 09, 2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:44 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
The 7954s are great. Love mine.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:39 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithder View Post

Thanks!
Deans are fine
Anderson power poles are fine
EC5's are fine
bullets are fine

Whatever you're comfortable with
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:16 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
Deans are fine
EC5's are fine
bullets are fine

yea,wut he said.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:20 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
Deans are fine
EC5's are fine
bullets are fine

I love my APP's! I just crimped my CC BEC Pro right in there with the ESC battery leads and it works like a champ.

APP's also make it very easy to run an 8s setup with 2 4s batteries.

If you suck at soldering like I do then APP's are a beautiful thing!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:42 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I love my APP's! I just crimped my CC BEC Pro right in there with the ESC battery leads and it works like a champ.

APP's also make it very easy to run an 8s setup with 2 4s batteries.

If you suck at soldering like I do then APP's are a beautiful thing!
I use those too..love em.
not going back to deans.
but the deans will work on his application.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:00 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Some are raving about the Savox 1258TG, which is the same servo as the Align 610 . Align has come out with DS615 that they are using to replace the 610s in there newer kits, which are slightly faster and stronger at a cheaper price. I think the reason for the price difference for the 615 is it has hardened high strength super alloy gears instead of the titanium alloy gears. I have the 610s in my 600 pro hell and they are super fast. I'm still undecided.

Steve, how did the prop perform on the hacker?

Edit: Ok I have narrowed it down to two servos...
Savox SC-1258MG $385 for 4 shipped
Hitec HS-7945SH $310 for 4 shipped.
Both spec out good... I use the HS-7245HV in my 60" plane and love them, they have a speed of .11sec. The 7954s have a speed of .12sec and are slightly more torquey then the .11sec Savox servos. Both are high volt. What do you guys think? Any bad experience with either? I don't know how dependable the Savox servos are. Which is why I am leaning towards the cheaper Hitecs but wish they offered a slightly faster servo which I would sacrifice a little torque for the same price. The ones they offer are TGs and $540 for 4... way to much. Also, been using Hitecs with success for years and have had great experience with their CS... so for me that is a plus
I literally only have a few minute flying time on my Edge.....the day it was maidened, it was very windy, and I just didn't want to risk the plane. So, I got a basic trim on it and landed..... And the last time I was going to take it out, I got rained out. That said, it seemed to have plenty of power for my style of flying (mostly sport, some 3D)...I may try to take the plane out on Monday as it is supposed to be nice then...

I may certainly be wrong, but I could have sworn I read the Savox were only good for 6 volt... .

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Nov 09, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:11 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
I may certainly be wrong, but I could have sworn I read the Savox were only good for 6 volt... .

SteveT
I think TheKM tried some on 7v or so and one smoked. I run my ds610 at 6v. they are plenty fast at that voltage. And strong.
robj is online now Find More Posts by robj
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:23 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Ok, so...On 6s w/ 19x10 prop...

Motrolfly 4325-380kv and Ice 100

or

Motrolfly 4330-400kv and Hobbywing platinum 150a esc or ZTW 120a esc?

If you say option number 2, do you think the hobbywing esc will work good? I'm using their 40a platinum esc and it works good.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97