HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:30 AM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Just ordered a 4330-435 last night. I can't wait for it to get here. I had to part out my last 48'' plane to get the money for it but it'll be worth it to get this thing flying. Now i just need to order my 1258TGs and i'l have it in the air.
I'm eager to hear what you think about this plane. I'm guessing that you're really going to love it.

I'd like to eventually get a 72" Extra so I can compare but it's hard to imagine anything flying any better than what I've got now.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:38 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
DenverJayhawk's Avatar
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I'm eager to hear what you think about this plane. I'm guessing that you're really going to love it.

I'd like to eventually get a 72" Extra so I can compare but it's hard to imagine anything flying any better than what I've got now.
really liked my 71 slick. Unfortunately it took a dirt nap and was replaced with a 74" edge. I think the Edge is a little easier to do rollers with, but there's something about the 71 Slick that is just so appealing. I'll probably get another 71 some day after the 74 is replaced.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:47 AM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
really liked my 71 slick. Unfortunately it took a dirt nap and was replaced with a 74" edge. I think the Edge is a little easier to do rollers with, but there's something about the 71 Slick that is just so appealing. I'll probably get another 71 some day after the 74 is replaced.
Wow... the Edge must be really easy to do rollers with then because I thought doing rollers on the Slick was just insanely easy. I think it has a little to do with the fact that this is the biggest plane I've ever flown so it really does feel like everything is in slow motion.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:50 AM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
I just ran some numbers on a prop engine calculator (http://rcwebclub.com/PropEngine.aspx) and I wasn't imagining things. My 57" Extra is likely topping out at around 65mph and the Slick with the 19x8 prop is likely topping out at around 53mph. If I put a 19x10 on there it should get up to around 67mph which will feel similar to my Extra I'm guessing. The thrust to weight ratio is pretty similar between the two as well.

I don't necessarilly need my planes to be screaming fast or anything but I'd just like to fly it both ways and see which prop I prefer. I'll post my thoughts once I get a chance to do some expirementing.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:01 PM
Santi
DaaBears's Avatar
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Nov 2003
1,597 Posts
Bought an ice 100 on the classifieds 2 Fridays ago, was supposed to be shipped last Monday. Just sent a text asking for a tracking number, he says he just shipped Friday and still hasn't responded with a tracking number.. Not happy the slick is not in the air still. I was supposed to get that esc last Wednesday!

I'm need that slick fix!!
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:28 PM
Registered User
Capt. Roll's Avatar
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I just ran some numbers on a prop engine calculator (http://rcwebclub.com/PropEngine.aspx) and I wasn't imagining things. My 57" Extra is likely topping out at around 65mph and the Slick with the 19x8 prop is likely topping out at around 53mph. If I put a 19x10 on there it should get up to around 67mph which will feel similar to my Extra I'm guessing. The thrust to weight ratio is pretty similar between the two as well.

I don't necessarilly need my planes to be screaming fast or anything but I'd just like to fly it both ways and see which prop I prefer. I'll post my thoughts once I get a chance to do some expirementing.
I was at an electric fly-in on Saturday; the event had a radar speed trap setup so you could get a MPH reading on your plane.

My 71" Slick has a Tacon 110, on 8S with a 19X8 JXF gas prop. Did two passes on the radar, 66 mph WOT...........very clam day so no wind to skew the speed. Plenty fast for me.
Capt. Roll is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Last edited by Capt. Roll; Nov 05, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:36 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,446 Posts
That prop calc showed my setup at only 7000rpm and l measured 7800rpms. That's a huge difference. I am willing to bet mine is in the mid 60s for top speed too. No doubt that the 50+" planes can be setup for faster. I know mine were.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:46 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
That prop calc showed my setup at only 7000rpm and l measured 7800rpms. That's a huge difference. I am willing to bet mine is in the mid 60s for top speed too. No doubt that the 50+" planes can be setup for faster. I know mine were.
Man. It just makes me wonder if there's something in my setup that's causing the plane to lag a little. BUT... I only got to fly it a few times and part of me honestly thinks that it's just a perception thing. I mean the plane is freakin' HUGE compared to what I'm used to flying. So the larger size may appear to be moving slower through the air than it really is.

I'll post up some video the next time I go flying so you can see what you think by looking at it.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:33 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,446 Posts
Perception is some of it for sure. My 51 slick looks a lot faster than my 71 but when side by side flying its not really.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:35 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,446 Posts
Michael do you have a tach and watt meter? Heck just a tach will tell us for sure.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:11 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Michael do you have a tach and watt meter? Heck just a tach will tell us for sure.
Nope. I guess I need to get myself one or both of those... long overdue!
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:23 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Perception is some of it for sure. My 51 slick looks a lot faster than my 71 but when side by side flying its not really.
Do you fly them side by side often??? How do you do that...one transmitter in your hand, one with your toes???

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:34 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,446 Posts
Brother flying one and me another. Wish l could fly two at a time
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:14 PM
Nothin Ventured, Nothin Gained
harddrive8's Avatar
United States, NC, Maiden
Joined Jul 2011
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Do you fly them side by side often??? How do you do that...one transmitter in your hand, one with your toes???

SteveT
Matt does have mad skills.
harddrive8 is online now Find More Posts by harddrive8
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:25 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,748 Posts
Yup!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll 3D hobby shop 51" slick or 55" SHP? appleflyer 3D Flying 24 Mar 24, 2009 06:29 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop's AJ Slick Clark Warfel Electric Plane Talk 3 May 08, 2008 07:31 AM