HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:46 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
You made the assumption that I'm using a DLE 30

The PTE 36cc has 4.2 HP and I'm getting a little more with my custom ring.
No...just throwing out an example. How you like the PTE?
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:53 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Do not know what RPM the HPof DLE is rated at but if it is like the Glo motors it is well above it's usefull RPM. That said your useable HP will be less than rated.

Electric motors develop torque and HP at their operating RPM so you are getting the full rated HP

Makes it difficult to do actual comparisons.

Dennis
@ 8500 ...Most people will run about 200rpm less than peak which means the max hp is not much less than the spec. Spool up is the biggest difference in gas v electric.
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:00 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
7,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCraft View Post
No...just throwing out an example. How you like the PTE?
The core of the motor is really good. I have had trouble with other things along the way. I got a lemon walbro carb to begin with. The needles wouldn't stay put so I was having to put loctite on every time I tuned. I saw that as a walbro issue vs. a PTE issue. It ended up getting warrantied so there are no more carb issues.

I ended up having to get a new muffler because the first one was crap. It rattled apart. PTE is on the third generation muffler now and it seems to be holding up nicely.

The core motor is really nice with good quality parts. It is lighter than the DLE and puts out a bunch more power. The custom ring is a must IMO. The Chinese can't make them nearly as well as Frank Bowman. Anyway, now that all of the small issues are sorted out I love the motor. It has been really powerful and very reliable on the stock ignition... which btw handles a 2s LiFe pack without a regulator.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:27 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,186 Posts
For you guys using savox 1258s, what servo arms did you use?
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:41 PM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
I used the spoton futuba spline. I can't remember what length though.
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:11 PM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Instant power goes a long way to getting my arse out of trouble, long live electric.
I thought I would agree with you guys until I got my 71 Slick (DLE 30 CC) Nothing like the sound of that Engine Ripping the sky and not having to put another battery in every 5MIn
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:30 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Think we used 1 1/2" aileron, 4" pull pull on second hole from outside and 2" rudder w/ arm pointed up for better geometry...
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3dhs fly low in east
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:21 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
I thought I would agree with you guys until I got my 71 Slick (DLE 30 CC) Nothing like the sound of that Engine Ripping the sky and not having to put another battery in every 5MIn
I hear ya, although right now with an 8s 4500 mah setup I'm at 8 minutes with plenty of room to spare. This is a mixed bag of high energy flying and 3D. I do have room to prop up and probably will but for now I like how it flies and the system isn't even slightly stressed. As far as flight times, I try to have around 6-7 minutes on my planes if possible, anything much more and I tend to do stupid things as my concentration slips. It seems like landing and changing batteries gives me enough of a break it keeps me sharper and I have less of a tendency to wreck planes. Also for me if I went gas I would only have a couple of places I could fly around here and would have to drive much further to do so.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:10 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
I have been flying a lot of gas lately and l much prefer electric. So much smoother and as we mentioned instant power. The 15+ minute flights are cool but the throttle control isn't nearly as good. I am also not much for the sound.
I get 7 minutes of flight out of mine and l have 12 batts for it and a charger that will charge tham all in 30minutes. So not much down time at all.
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:00 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
just for a point of reference, I've been using the CC Bec pro at 8v going to 4x 7955tgs for the past season. I can do seven flights at around 6-7 minutes per flight with a 3s 1000mah gensace. the battery is usually around 11.3v and takes 650mah to charge. very happy with this setup on the 72.
+1, except I'm running my BEC Pro off of the main flight battery instead of a separate one. One less battery to charge, one less failure point is my reasoning. The other side of that argument is that if your main flight pack goes bye bye, so does your control. But I figure it's just as likely that the battery I'm running my BEC Pro off of would go up in smoke as the main flight battery.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:16 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,578 Posts
i'm running a separate RX pack off the BEC Pro too. But if i were doing it again, I'd go back to wiring the BEC to run off the main flight motor packs.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:30 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,412 Posts
Bec pro off the main flight pack here too
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:14 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Losi - have you ever run a 19x10 prop on your 5320 8s setup? Like I said earlier, I felt that the 19x8 was a little on the slow side for me. I mean, I still had unlimited vertical but it was just slower than what I was expecting. I think it has to do with the fact that my 57" Extra is ballistic so I'll see how I feel after I get more flights under my belt.

Meanwhile I've ordered a 19x10 xoar to try out and I'll see which one I like better. I was getting an easy 6 minutes in on my 19x8 and the cells were ending around 3.80 or 3.85 depending on how aggressive I was flying. Looks like I can stretch that to 7 minutes comfortably.

I'll probably fly 5 minutes on the 19x10 and see what I've got left in my batteries.

But I was just curious as to whether you had tried the 19x10 prop and what you thought of it.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:10 AM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,277 Posts
Hey guys I am selling my slick
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1764667
joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:14 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,186 Posts
Just ordered a 4330-435 last night. I can't wait for it to get here. I had to part out my last 48'' plane to get the money for it but it'll be worth it to get this thing flying. Now i just need to order my 1258TGs and i'l have it in the air.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er