SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:20 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Finally got to fly my slick with the new servos. They are sweet. Running 8 volts to the hitec 7954. Got all 4 of them for $300 from chief. What a deal and what a servo! Happy l was able to fly again. It was a bit windy but l want to fly really bad.
do they fit right in and how are you powering them, that is a great price for these
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:33 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Finally got to fly my slick with the new servos. They are sweet. Running 8 volts to the hitec 7954. Got all 4 of them for $300 from chief. What a deal and what a servo! Happy l was able to fly again. It was a bit windy but l want to fly really bad.
Hey Losi, are you using a separate bec to power your servo's, and if so what size batt are you using? I'm thinking of using either a 3s 450 mah or a 2s 450 mah. Or are these too small, I also have some 3s 1000 mah batts I could use. I'm just trying to be weight conscious.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:41 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,062 Posts
You are going to want more than 450 mah for an rx pack IMO. I think the 1000 mah 3s pack would be ok but you are on thin Ice with the 450 2s and probably not that much better off on the 450 3s. I use a 2s 2500 pack for mine but I'm on gas.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:41 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,660 Posts
just for a point of reference, I've been using the CC Bec pro at 8v going to 4x 7955tgs for the past season. I can do seven flights at around 6-7 minutes per flight with a 3s 1000mah gensace. the battery is usually around 11.3v and takes 650mah to charge. very happy with this setup on the 72.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:57 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
just for a point of reference, I've been using the CC Bec pro at 8v going to 4x 7955tgs for the past season. I can do seven flights at around 6-7 minutes per flight with a 3s 1000mah gensace. the battery is usually around 11.3v and takes 650mah to charge. very happy with this setup on the 72.
great info, looks like that will be my target CC bec Pro with 3s 1000-1300 for the rx battery
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:59 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
Sounds good, I was kind of figuring that might be about right. I'll go with the 3s 1000's. I have been using the 450 2s on my 60" and get quite a few flights before recharging so I wasn't sure how to compare this to the Slick.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:06 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,417 Posts
299.80 for 4 HS7954SH and they even give you a $25 gift code for a future purchase

great deal at chief aircraft. Thanks Losi
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:34 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
HO. LEE. SHIIIIAT!! What an awesome plane!! Good lord. This thing is so locked in that it's not even funny. It virtually hovers and torque rolls hands off! Every thing I threw at it was easier to to pull off than any other plane I've ever flown. This plane is just ridiculously good. I didn't even need one single click of trim!

I still have some playing around to do with my setup though. I'm running the Motrofly 5320-300 on an 8s setup with a 19x8 prop. I think I need to try out a 19x10 to see how I like it. It felt a little sluggish at times but it could be that I'm used to my 57" Extra rocket. I'll go ahead and order another prop to try but plenty happy with how it flies on the current setup... I Just want to see what it feels like with a little more top-end speed.

The other thing I need to iron out is my aileron travel. My aileron rolls aren't axial right now so I'm guessing they aren't traveling the same distance in both directions. I'll nail that down tonight.

But man... what a stupidly fantastic plane!!

Oh... a few questions. I'm currently using HS-985's because that's what was on the plane when I bought it. They are fine but I'll move up sooner or later to something better. But my questions are:

I'm using a CC BEC Pro and I've got it set to 6v for now. Do I need to bump that up to something higher? I didn't feel like it needed it today but just curious. Also, should I be using a separate battery pack to power the BEC?
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:02 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,417 Posts
Congratulations on the maiden, not sure on the hs-985 if they can hadle more than 6v but a separate battery pack for the bec/rx is always a good idea, especially in this size plane, no way I'm building this one without.

Video, harrier landing?
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:07 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
Congratulations on the maiden, not sure on the hs-985 if they can hadle more than 6v but a separate battery pack for the bec/rx is always a good idea, especially in this size plane, no way I'm building this one without.

Video, harrier landing?
Brought the camera but left my hat! Doh! Harrier landed all 4 times!
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:08 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
I knew you would be happy Mike.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:15 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
It's just like everything is in slow motion. And on top of that the plane is just so dang locked in!!!
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:33 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,458 Posts
Im running a bec pro off the 8s flight pack.

Michael great to hear the maiden went well. Glad to hear you like it.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:27 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Im running a bec pro off the 8s flight pack.

Michael great to hear the maiden went well. Glad to hear you like it.
Understatement of the year right there!! I freakin' LOVE this thing!

I think I got my axial roll issue solved. I was getting about 31 degrees up and down on the right aileron and 31 up on the left but only about 27 down. I got it all lined out now so my rolls should be nice and axial.

Can't wait to get it back out but it may be a few days unless I can sneak in some flights tomorrow evening.

Good to hear that you're running your BEC pro off your 8s packs. I'll just stick with that.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:44 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,458 Posts
I am at 45 up and down on both but need to set up aileron differential as my rolls are not axial anymore since l switch servos and took out all my old programming. Need to setup my ke mixing again too.
Upgrade those servos. You will be glad you did.

I set up 45* on the ailerions and 64* up and 57* down elevator, maxed out rudder.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic