SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:49 PM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,114 Posts
I have bought 4 Turnigy batteries that are the 4C 3,000Mah and they have been great. Then I recently bought 4 nano Tech Turnigy batteries and they def dont have the same punch to them and after 1 month they are not puffy but are never fully charging. I run two full cycles and they never show full. (This is for my 51 by the way) What batterys would you guys recommend to purchase? For a good price???
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:56 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,730 Posts
I have heard (though I have no personal experience with them), that the Glacier packs from EP Buddy are very good. Ben Fisher recommended them on one of the other forums when somebody asked about them...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:04 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk View Post
Oh cool.......so you're actually closer to me now than you were when you lived in Grandy. I may have to come down there one day and take some pics.....if not maybe even try to to fly something.

Hey, it's going good. What's Up?
nothin much man,fatter,older,grayer. hows about you?
Im still flying when i can tho.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:28 AM
India
Joined May 2009
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
With a Hacker A60-6XS (same as you) and with my ESC and BEC under the motor box, to get the packs relatively close to center of the battery tray (though they are a bit back from center), I had to put my rudder servo in the back.

Now as to the "C" rating of the packs, I am more of a sport flier, and do fly a bit faster sometimes than guys doing more 3D, so for me, the higher "C" rating works best.... YMMV.....

SteveT
Thanks Steve. your higher C packs may be 100gm or so heavier that mine 30Cs. I'd be happy to locate the ruder servo in the back since it's easier to install as compared to pull pull. I'd install the rudder servo last after checking for the balance. My slick is in transit .
bss_rcg is offline Find More Posts by bss_rcg
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:03 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutz View Post
i am using 8s 4000 mah and 25c rated packs and getting 6-7 minute flights with no problems or heat,using GEN ACE batts motrofly 4325-280 motor,20x8 apc prop
This is pretty much my setup except I'm using a 19x10 and get 8 1/2 minutes of fairly aggressive flying mixed with mellower stuff and nothing runs over Luke warm. I need to get a 20x8 prop and give it a go though, but it does fly pretty good as is.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:55 PM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
725 Posts
Ive never flown anything with this much power or that used this large of servos. What kind of receiver should I be running? I use all spektrum stuff. Will a AR8000 suffice since im not using HV servos? Fill me in fellas
garrettt04s is online now Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:58 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettt04s View Post
Ive never flown anything with this much power or that used this large of servos. What kind of receiver should I be running? I use all spektrum stuff. Will a AR8000 suffice since im not using HV servos? Fill me in fellas
That will be fine.....servos really have nothing to do with the receiver... as long as it will handle 7.4 volts if using HV servos, which you are not....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:59 PM
Thread Crapper
Lynden, WA
Joined Nov 2000
2,843 Posts
thats more than enough receiver
JohnVH is offline Find More Posts by JohnVH
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:59 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bss_rcg View Post
Thanks Steve. your higher C packs may be 100gm or so heavier that mine 30Cs. I'd be happy to locate the ruder servo in the back since it's easier to install as compared to pull pull. I'd install the rudder servo last after checking for the balance. My slick is in transit .
Yup...That's what I do.....tape the servo and linkage where it will go in the back and check the balance...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:13 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettt04s View Post
I've used AR6200's, 7000's, and 8000's in planes this size. They work great. Better question is what are you doing to power your servos?
I ran the hitec hs-985's for several hundred flights in my old 70" Slick. Ran them just fine on 6s off of an Ice 100's internal BEC. Many others said that you shouldn't do that, but me and 2 local buddies all did it just fine. Now I'm running digital servos and using a Castle BEC Pro for power. If your ESC has a built in BEC then you should remove the red wire on your throttle lead in order to avoid having both the ESC internal BEC and external BEC feeding the rx power at the same time.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:19 PM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
725 Posts
Im going to be using a turnigy UBEC-15a. So this receiver will power the servos fine?
garrettt04s is online now Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:39 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,301 Posts
This one?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_Lipoly.html

input voltage is only 12.6v (3s) if so. Are you running on the flight battery or a secondary servo only battery?
What servos?
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:14 PM
United States, KS, Arkansas City
Joined Oct 2012
112 Posts
Can someone tell me what isn't in the electric version vs the gas version !! 3dhobbyshops is out of the gas arfs but still has the electric ones. I am wanting to get a gas version but am wondering just what all is left out !!!!! They state they are the same from the leading edge of the wing back. so is the motor box different??? This is only in reference to the 71" slick.
johnfly1234 is offline Find More Posts by johnfly1234
Last edited by johnfly1234; Oct 23, 2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: clarifacation
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:16 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfly1234 View Post
Can someone tell me what isn't in the electric version vs the gas version !! 3dhobbyshops is out of the gas arfs but still has the electric ones. I am wanting to get a gas version but am wondering just what all is left out !!!!! They state they are the same from the leading edge of the wing back. so is the motor box different???
Yes, motorbox is set back farther on the gas version
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:17 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfly1234 View Post
Can someone tell me what isn't in the electric version vs the gas version !! 3dhobbyshops is out of the gas arfs but still has the electric ones. I am wanting to get a gas version but am wondering just what all is left out !!!!! They state they are the same from the leading edge of the wing back. so is the motor box different???
It's not what is left out, the front end is different, different cowling, and canopy. The canopy on the electric one goes farther forward to facilitate moving the batteries farther forward.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member