HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:51 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Maybe that's my issue. I've watched tons of YouTube videos and even watched people do it live multiple times but I've just never been able to do it!

I've got a 60W hobbico iron that should be sufficient. It just seems like I can never get the solder to start flowing... Especially on the large wires!
What tip? And what is the tip temp of the iron? That Weller is a 900 degree tip temp, which combined with the fat chisel tip seems to work super good. The fat tip retains a lot of heat and very very quickly heats up the wires you are trying to solder.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:41 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,164 Posts
Quote:
Have you ever used them to connect the motor to the ESC or is it simply best to solder those two things together?

I figured if I used APP's I could put electrical tape around them to ensure they don't come apart... seems like it would work right?

Anyone see any issues here?
As much of an APP fanboy that I am, the only time I really saw a problem with them is when using them for motor to esc connection. I don't know why, but had weird things happen and when app's were taken out and wires were soldered problems went away. Now, ive been a huge proponent of soldering everything iver a 50-60 amp setup. Ken made me use his bullets on some of the test motors and they never have glitched for me. So this tells me I may not have made a good connection with the app's the time I played with those. But the plug n play bullets that come with the 4325s are good stuff.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:11 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,445 Posts
I use a 230watt radio shack soldering gun. Does 8awg wire easily
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:49 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
As much of an APP fanboy that I am, the only time I really saw a problem with them is when using them for motor to esc connection. I don't know why, but had weird things happen and when app's were taken out and wires were soldered problems went away. Now, ive been a huge proponent of soldering everything iver a 50-60 amp setup. Ken made me use his bullets on some of the test motors and they never have glitched for me. So this tells me I may not have made a good connection with the app's the time I played with those. But the plug n play bullets that come with the 4325s are good stuff.
i found the bullets that came with the 4315 and 4325 to be waaay too small for the wiring on an ICE 100 Lite. Ended up doing direct solder.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:37 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
castle 5mm bullets work very nice on ice 100
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:18 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
i found the bullets that came with the 4315 and 4325 to be waaay too small for the wiring on an ICE 100 Lite. Ended up doing direct solder.
That's the one issue I had on my 4325 too. I ended up unsoldering the connectors on the motor and then had my friend direct solder the motor to the ESC.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:26 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,145 Posts
Quote:
That's the one issue I had on my 4325 too. I ended up unsoldering the connectors on the motor and then had my friend direct solder the motor to the ESC.
Just strip a few strands off the esc wires until they fit, insert and solder up.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:04 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Ok, so what bullets do you guys recommend for a 4325 and ice 100? Are the 4mm that comes with the motrolfly not enough?
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:13 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Ok, so what bullets do you guys recommend for a 4325 and ice 100? Are the 4mm that comes with the motrolfly not enough?
I think they are too small. I'm sure someone can solder the ice 100 leads into that size connector but it's not easy.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
I'm thinking the cc 5.5mm bullets. Are cc bullets good?

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbullet.html
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Double post
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:32 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
982 Posts
We had the gold bullet connectors from the 4325 on at first, had them arc a bit and burn off to the point where the solder joint had broken (deadstick landing). Then we went direct solder but as you may have seen a couple pages back, we are still having problems. I am hoping to do the Link tonight and just switch the cutoff to soft while doing as Joe said andleave the voltage at 3.7. Then, we can order some new packs and we'll see how far that gets us....
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Team Tundra 2014
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:55 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,445 Posts
I direct solder on planes this size or bigger
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:09 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
How do you direct solder these big of wires? Do you just lay them next to each other and put some solder around them?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:18 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,674 Posts
I use Castle 5mm and 5.5mm bullets on all my "larger" motors. I fist put on the appropriate size heat shrink tubing and slide it up away from where I am soldering. Once soldered, I give them a shot of Caig "Deoxit" before pushing them together, then slide the heat shrink in place and shrink so that they can not come loose.

As to direct soldering you need a bit of thin copper wire to wrap around the joint before soldering them.

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...