HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:43 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Power measured how exactly? Watts or Amps or what? Does this just mean that a larger motor can handle a larger prop assuming the same battery setup (cell count) and assuming the same or similar KV rating?? So a 5320-300 could swing a 20 inch prop on 8s while a 4325-300 could only swing a 19 inch prop? Just using made up figures to make sure I understand...
Not really anything to do with prop size really. Like Losi said it's about efficiency, plus overall watts. The 4325's will pull around 2200-2400 watts pretty easily if given the right prop, etc. The difference is that the 4325 will run 20-30 degrees hotter than the 5320 while doing so. It will require baffling to help keep the heat under control better. And some of the power (watts) are lost in the form of heat. The 5320 will run cooler (not generating as much heat due to better efficiency) at the same power setting. Then the 5320 can be bumped up in power to almost 3000 watts, though here again you need to have proper baffling and realize that there will be some efficiency losses and some of those excess watts are essentially going down the drain in the form of heat. I think any motor when running close to it's limit begins generating lots of heat and losing lots of it's efficiency. So in theory a larger motor is better given the efficiency thing, but then you wind up carrying extra weight too, which affect performance of the airframe. So it's all a balancing act...
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:24 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,146 Posts
Any thoughts are appreciated guys. Here is the problem with this 70.
PROBLEM WITH THE SLICK 101312 (1 min 48 sec)

Motrofly 4325
8S = 2x EZ Flite 4200 Mah 35C continuous packs
18x8 Xoar
Castle Ice 100

3100 Mah Life batt on receiver/servos

Run it up and shuts down but still able to run. Castle need reprogrammed, bigger Mah packs? These packs were used on the 51 Slick for a while as stand alone 4S but thought we could still use the same packs on the Y to run the 70. They balance charge up to 16.8 OK. Not sure but had some connectors just changed over to 150 amp connectors. Could leads on motor to the speed control be out of order and cause this. Doesn't make sense to me...
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The MXS-C MINI - IT'S BIG
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:57 PM
What?!? I didn't do that!
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
The 2 beeps means you are hitting low voltage cut off. Check the setting for the cutoff or try different packs.
gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:16 AM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,130 Posts
Ok guys I could really use some help. I am running a DLE 30 CC Engine with a Fortitude Fuel Tank. My engine is running great!(Well not sooo fast!) At the Huck Fest today I had 3 Dead sticks. I brought the plane in. Ran it on the ground and found that when I flip the plane upside down it runs fine but right when I go to turn it back over it DIES on me (Everytime) The clunk looks like it is moving correctly and I have replace the hose. Any suggestions????
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:50 AM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
Ok guys I could really use some help. I am running a DLE 30 CC Engine with a Fortitude Fuel Tank. My engine is running great!(Well not sooo fast!) At the Huck Fest today I had 3 Dead sticks. I brought the plane in. Ran it on the ground and found that when I flip the plane upside down it runs fine but right when I go to turn it back over it DIES on me (Everytime) The clunk looks like it is moving correctly and I have replace the hose. Any suggestions????
Go electric! Couldn't resist. Or, OS GT33? Or check if the pump is putting out enuff pressure.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:55 AM
3D Addict
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLING CIRCLE View Post
Any thoughts are appreciated guys. Here is the problem with this 70.
http://youtu.be/O2AmKAVP1zk
Motrofly 4325
8S = 2x EZ Flite 4200 Mah 35C continuous packs
18x8 Xoar
Castle Ice 100

3100 Mah Life batt on receiver/servos

Run it up and shuts down but still able to run. Castle need reprogrammed, bigger Mah packs? These packs were used on the 51 Slick for a while as stand alone 4S but thought we could still use the same packs on the Y to run the 70. They balance charge up to 16.8 OK. Not sure but had some connectors just changed over to 150 amp connectors. Could leads on motor to the speed control be out of order and cause this. Doesn't make sense to me...
do you have powerpoles on the ESC and batts? sometimes the blades will push back and you don't get enough contact. Check the end, make sure the tang gets all the way out and snaps over the retainer feature. I chk these everytime I fly. The servos will work, but not enough juice for WOT.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:43 AM
The Twisted Elf
USA, NJ, Trenton
Joined Nov 2010
453 Posts
Quote:
richen the high end just a little to start,because what is good on the ground under a load,holding plane back, it will unload in the air a may cause engine to go lean,high needle should be tuned with a tachometer,just when the rpm's start to drop back off the screw,richen it,about a 1/16th
lugnutz is offline Find More Posts by lugnutz
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:52 AM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast View Post
do you have powerpoles on the ESC and batts? sometimes the blades will push back and you don't get enough contact. Check the end, make sure the tang gets all the way out and snaps over the retainer feature. I chk these everytime I fly. The servos will work, but not enough juice for WOT.
The batts are on deans. 150 amp connector in line making the Y right off the speed control with the two deans on the end there. I was wondering about the connectors causing the resistance but not sure since they are overweight for the job. I would think they would be OK. Maybe the Motrofly is pulling to hard for the ESC or the packs to keep up with???? let me know what you guys are thinking...
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The MXS-C MINI - IT'S BIG
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:09 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
My DLE was doing the exact opposite.... it ran fine upright but cut off every time i went inverted...... turned out to be a weak metering lever spring.
I replaced the spring with one from a used walbro carb and the problem disappeared.
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,130 Posts
Thanks for all the help everyone! Found my problem! Gas tank(Fortitude 8 OZ and its brand new! I switched the tank out and my problem is gone. I don't know why but that is what was wrong. I guess I will have to order another one.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:20 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
Interesting! I am installing a fourtitude 8 ounce in the velox. Would like to know what the issue is. Are you sending it back for them to check out?
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:13 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,130 Posts
I got the tank from Aero Graphix about 3 weeks ago. I have about 1 gallon of fuel through it. I was going to call them in the morning. I would love to know why this is causing this to happen, because I don't see anything on the tank that looks adnormal, but puting a new tank on it completly fixed my problem.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:18 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
I got the tank from Aero Graphix about 3 weeks ago. I have about 1 gallon of fuel through it. I was going to call them in the morning. I would love to know why this is causing this to happen, because I don't see anything on the tank that looks adnormal, but puting a new tank on it completly fixed my problem.
Glad to hear you got it worked out. It was a bummer you were having all those engine problems at Huckfest. Hope to see you again next year man!

-Joe
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1,130 Posts
Thanks Joe! I will see you there for sure! Hey you bailed out before you could get your award!!! Oh and the 42% Plane that you won, but since you were not there to collect they gave it to me
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:58 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Joe! I will see you there for sure! Hey you bailed out before you could get your award!!! Oh and the 42% Plane that you won, but since you were not there to collect they gave it to me
Oh nooooo ahaha
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er