2,249 Posts
No problem boss
XtremeWingRC is offline Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:25 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,768 Posts
I managed to tear the lg out of my 70" on Monday, not even a rough landing. I think the wheel fairing folded around the left wheel in the grass and jammed it so it locked up and it hit a divot in the ground causing it to rip out. Not a lot of damage, but my question is this. Has anyone tried mounting the lg using nylon bolts? An if so what size did you use? I have done this on my EF 60" Edge using two 1/4" bolts and it works excellent( I also discovered how well this works on Monday as well). On the Slick I was thinking of using either three 1/4" or three 3/8". This way it won't tear the lg plate out in a mild crash and usually any other damage is relatively minimal as in the case of my Edge
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:39 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I managed to tear the lg out of my 70" on Monday, not even a rough landing. I think the wheel fairing folded around the left wheel in the grass and jammed it so it locked up and it hit a divot in the ground causing it to rip out. Not a lot of damage, but my question is this. Has anyone tried mounting the lg using nylon bolts? An if so what size did you use? I have done this on my EF 60" Edge using two 1/4" bolts and it works excellent( I also discovered how well this works on Monday as well). On the Slick I was thinking of using either three 1/4" or three 3/8". This way it won't tear the lg plate out in a mild crash and usually any other damage is relatively minimal as in the case of my Edge
Yes, I have. Used three 1/4-20 bolts. I drilled out the landing gear plate (this was an older V1 70" Slick, no carbon to deal with) and glued in some 1/4" thick oak hardwood above the landing gear block. Drilled and tapped the oak, hardened the threads with CA, and reinstalled landing gear. Worked really really well. On mine I crabbed a landing with a crosswind and partially pulled one of the blind nuts through the LG plate, so I had a large hole there. This is why I did the oak block thing, the existing wood was pretty well shot and not thick enough in any regard for drilling and tapping. On the new 71's I think you would have to do something different. There are pics of how I modified mine somewhere way back in this thread. Did the same thing to an older 68" Velox.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:34 AM
Climate Refugee
Merrimac, MA
Joined Jan 2006
957 Posts
pix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper802 View Post
alfabeast, you have a PM.

XtremeWingRC, thanks for the offer. If the orange set fall through I may be in touch.
Here are some pix of the orange pants, i sent you a pm but couldn't figure out how to attch.
alfabeast is offline Find More Posts by alfabeast
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:50 PM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,249 Posts
Not trying to troll or spam this thread but my hacker A50 14L isn't selling.

For a 8S great motor with very few flights not sure why nobody has bit.

Willing to go to 95.00 shipped
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:27 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Yes, I have. Used three 1/4-20 bolts. I drilled out the landing gear plate (this was an older V1 70" Slick, no carbon to deal with) and glued in some 1/4" thick oak hardwood above the landing gear block. Drilled and tapped the oak, hardened the threads with CA, and reinstalled landing gear. Worked really really well. On mine I crabbed a landing with a crosswind and partially pulled one of the blind nuts through the LG plate, so I had a large hole there. This is why I did the oak block thing, the existing wood was pretty well shot and not thick enough in any regard for drilling and tapping. On the new 71's I think you would have to do something different. There are pics of how I modified mine somewhere way back in this thread. Did the same thing to an older 68" Velox.
Thanks Ryan, this describes exactly what happened to mine, I'll give this method a try. Only problem for me is the existing plate has gorilla glue all over it so I'll have try clean some of it out to get the oak piece in there.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:39 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2005
195 Posts
Hey all , I also pulled the trigger last night on a 71" Slick. Order the motrofly 4325-380. I wanted to stay with the lighter set up. Im curious to know what batteries most of you guys are using if its not to much trouble. Im looking forward to flying this model. I allready have a 89" Slick with a DA-60 and I love it.

Thanks,
Doug
electricboy is offline Find More Posts by electricboy
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:50 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,928 Posts
I will be using either these or these.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:53 PM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,249 Posts
Between the glaciers and gens ace, do you feel more punch between the two packs ?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:15 AM
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Jun 2002
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast View Post
Here are some pix of the orange pants, i sent you a pm but couldn't figure out how to attch.
Thanks to alfabeast I've got a set of wheel pants on the way! I think I've also lined up a set of stock wheels thanks to the 3DHS users group on Facebook.

Just another great example of why RCG is a fantastic source.
Reaper802 is offline Find More Posts by Reaper802
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:48 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
687 Posts
3DHS Store in PA?

In a few weeks I might be going camping with some friends up in PA. On the way to the camping site I might swing buy 3DHS. Do they a retail store where I could walk-in and buy a plane? I've been thinking about getting a 59" Slick or a 71" Electric slick but can't decide. THanks!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Oct 04, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Jun 2002
423 Posts
Local sales are handled through Extreme RC Hobbies, a store just down the road from the warehouse... they serve as the 3DHS walk-in store and show room. You can set up the sale with them, and if they don't have it in stock but 3dhs does, then they will get it so you can drop in to make the purchase.

Can get their details here...
http://www.xtremerchobbypa.com
Reaper802 is offline Find More Posts by Reaper802
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:07 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,072 Posts
Can't wait for the electronics to finish this thing!!
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:08 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper802 View Post
Local sales are handled through Extreme RC Hobbies, a store just down the road from the warehouse... they serve as the 3DHS walk-in store and show room. You can set up the sale with them, and if they don't have it in stock but 3dhs does, then they will get it so you can drop in to make the purchase.

Can get their details here...
http://www.xtremerchobbypa.com
Thanks for the info. Now I need to determine if I want a 71" or 59" electric Slick.
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:51 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,009 Posts
71! Always go bigger.
Plus you will save even more since the shipping on the big ones costs more than the little ones!
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m