HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:26 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
XtremeWingRC,

I asked Joe Smith which motor to use in a 71 slick. He said he would use the motrolfly 4325-380 w/ a 19x10 prop. He said the hacker is more suited for the 74 edge.
I know I don't fly like Joe, but I really like the A60-6XS with a 20X10 in my 71" Slick...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 02:53 PM
doh!
ryan_m's Avatar
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
XtremeWingRC,

I asked Joe Smith which motor to use in a 71 slick. He said he would use the motrolfly 4325-380 w/ a 19x10 prop. He said the hacker is more suited for the 74 edge.
I prefer a 4325-425 on 18x10. Less prop torque, and more forward speed. Great for pop tops and other fast high energy moves.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:15 PM
3DHS 'native'
going4speed's Avatar
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
This is a socket head screw that's stuck in the servo
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:32 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
This is a socket head screw that's stuck in the servo
Ok....should still be easy....heat your soldering iron up, and hold it on the end of the screw for a few moments. The heat will break the Loctite loose....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:27 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
RCPilot1234's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
RIP, 70 Slick. In a 500' blender, it decide to eject the left wing, then subsequently, the right wing. Lawn dart from about 300'. Total write- off. Pretty damn bummed right now. The wing bolts managed to find their way to pulling out of the fuse. All I could do to make it hit the dirt in as straight-down attitude as I could.
Sorry to hear that man! If it's any conciliation, that happened to me too
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:04 PM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
I prefer a 4325-425 on 18x10. Less prop torque, and more forward speed. Great for pop tops and other fast high energy moves.
I bet that 425 kv is nice too.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:10 PM
Just go with the flow
goflyhighrc's Avatar
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
My personal opinion, is that you can't go wrong with a Hacker A60-6XS, which is what I have in my 71" Slick. You can use a 20X10, 20X11, or 21X10...all seem to work well...

SteveT

Does the Hacker A60-6xs have a bolt on prop adapter?
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:12 PM
Just go with the flow
goflyhighrc's Avatar
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
Well today was the first day that i really got to fly my new 71 Slick. Everything went good until My servo bolt came out of my Rudder on my 7955. My rudder stuck tot he right but i was able to get it on the ground safley by crabbing it in. ( I can say my heart stopped) Loctite it is for now on!! I am a firm believer in it!!!!!!!!!!!

Gas planes are paint can shakers, gotta make sure all bolts are tightened Get that throttle servo tray fixed OK
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:12 PM
Just go with the flow
goflyhighrc's Avatar
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
I bet that 425 kv is nice too.
Manta -

Have you had the surgery ?
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:15 PM
Just go with the flow
goflyhighrc's Avatar
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilot1234 View Post
Sorry to hear that buddy

I've heard putting a small piece of velcro between the moving and stationary surface stops it as the pressure halts the jittering so maybe try that

Hope this helps!
I did that on my 89 Slick, stopped the jittering, worked great
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:17 PM
OOPS
Manta1's Avatar
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
Manta -

Have you had the surgery ?
yep.today is day 12 post cut..rough recovery but im still toodling along
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:53 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
Does the Hacker A60-6xs have a bolt on prop adapter?
No, there is a tapered collet that slides onto a shaft that goes all the way through the motor, which then has a prop thrust washer that slides onto it. . See this page, and click on the photo for a good idea of how it works. It is exactly the same system as used on the Q80 series motors. Very true running....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Sep 29, 2012 at 10:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:19 AM
Registered User
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined May 2004
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
What happens with a tail heavy plane when landing (From what I remember Ben saying), is that when you slow the plane down, the stabilizer stalls first, which make the tail drop, so, the plane balloons up causing you to have to feed in down elevator to counter-act the ballooning..makes it a lot harder to land...

SteveT
I have a PA Extra MX setup with a more aft CG for 3D and I did experience the same ballooning on landing. It just felt weird having to push down during approach to get it to land. The thing that solved it was to setup the air brake mix. When I'm ready to land I flip on the air brake which pops both ailerons up about 1/4" and also feeds in a little down elevator to counter the trim change. This way, the plane will not balloon, will require a normal amount of back stick during the approach (rather than down) and force it into a normal glide angle. When I get either my 3DHS Edge 540 or Slick, I'll definitely do the same thing.
Neil_SC is offline Find More Posts by Neil_SC
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:49 AM
doh!
ryan_m's Avatar
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,302 Posts
Try one of the PA Bandits... I just built one for a local buddy. That thing balloons worse than anything I've ever seen. Once you get down to 3-4 feet high it just balloons up. You have to give down elevator to have a chance of landing it, and then it wants to dive into the ground since they tell you to use their carbon long arm things that give you no resolution/feel for small precise movements. That is one of the hardest planes I've yet flown to land smoothly. Wound up configuring about 10 degrees of spoilerons on it in order to help it land. Sinks nicely with those, much easier to land. Just like what you did sounds like.
I'm pretty sure that on the bandit the tail incidence is different than the wing incidence and that causes the ballooning. It's quite noticeable when looking from the rear.
After building 4 PA planes now (all for other people) I definitely appreciate 3dhs and EF kits and their build techniques a lot more. And the way they fly... PA stuff is just too floaty for me.
The Bandit looked like it was going to be similar to a Vyper in the air. Fast, yet 3d capable. I found it to not be fast, and have lots of wing rock in a harrier. It hovered quite easily, but otherwise had some weird tendencies. I did not much care for the plane...
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:23 AM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
XtremeWingRC's Avatar
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Try one of the PA Bandits... I just built one for a local buddy. That thing balloons worse than anything I've ever seen. Once you get down to 3-4 feet high it just balloons up. You have to give down elevator to have a chance of landing it, and then it wants to dive into the ground since they tell you to use their carbon long arm things that give you no resolution/feel for small precise movements. That is one of the hardest planes I've yet flown to land smoothly. Wound up configuring about 10 degrees of spoilerons on it in order to help it land. Sinks nicely with those, much easier to land. Just like what you did sounds like.
I'm pretty sure that on the bandit the tail incidence is different than the wing incidence and that causes the ballooning. It's quite noticeable when looking from the rear.
After building 4 PA planes now (all for other people) I definitely appreciate 3dhs and EF kits and their build techniques a lot more. And the way they fly... PA stuff is just too floaty for me.
The Bandit looked like it was going to be similar to a Vyper in the air. Fast, yet 3d capable. I found it to not be fast, and have lots of wing rock in a harrier. It hovered quite easily, but otherwise had some weird tendencies. I did not much care for the plane...
I had a pa Extra and the wind tossed it around like a kite. Too floaty, too light, and I felt I had to fight the flying all time.
XtremeWingRC is offline Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll 3D hobby shop 51" slick or 55" SHP? appleflyer 3D Flying 24 Mar 24, 2009 06:29 PM
Video 3D Hobby Shop's AJ Slick Clark Warfel Electric Plane Talk 3 May 08, 2008 07:31 AM