HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:02 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,866 Posts
Electric...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:11 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain View Post
To each their own. I didnt mean to state this as fact, rather my experience (limited compared to yours). I wish I had someone local who had experience with larger scale gas setup, I may be more willing to jump in. To me, their are larger barriers to entry when looking at first time gas setups. Again, opinion, not fact.

Yep, my experience is purely my opinion too. Everyone will have a different opinion on this matter.
joesmith285 is online now Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:15 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,178 Posts
I just recently got my first gasser, and have to agree, electric is simpler. Plug it all in and go. But nothing can replace the noise of a gas engine.
The bigger you go, the more complicated the power systems get on either electric or gas, so I'd say anything past 30cc is a toss up either way. I got lucky and found a used and tuned DLE, so I haven't had to mess with breaking in and tuning yet.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:15 PM
United States, NC, Currituck
Joined Jun 2011
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I have had my escs go up in flames many times unfortunately(castle has had issues, so has venom). And about a week ago I crashed b/c a battery just died but it was old so that was more my fault.

I much prefer electric over gas. Gas has been fun to play with. Guess its b/c I am learning something new
find a box of sticks and covering to put it in i still have a dle30 sitting on the shelf. i'm going electric again.
obxflier is offline Find More Posts by obxflier
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:18 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,928 Posts
Joe, what prop do you like best for the hacker a60-6xs? I'm trying to decide either to get the hacker or motrolfly. Also, how many watts and amps are you pulling?
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:38 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,900 Posts
My dead stick was on maiden with the OS GT33 and not the engines fault. It was running like an absolute gem and then I accidentally hit the ignition kill. So nervous on that flight. Biggest bird I own, first gasser and a packed field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
I hate to see stuff posted like this. In the 4 years I have been flying I have had more electric planes dead stick/ crash than gas planes. I can honestly say I have never had a os33/ da60/da120/da170 die on me. I have lots of experience with both and I have had better luck with gas setups.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:09 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
My field is mostly gas and see dead stick landings every weekend. Or issues starting. The issues are normally found quickly but the fact is that it happens a lot. I am the only one there that has had issues with my electrics as of recent.

Both have there issues, both have there plusses. Find what works best for you and enjoy.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:52 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
I like Spot-on arms from Aztech AeroModel.... The problem with any of the aluminum arms, is that they are tapped for M3 or 4-40. I buy the 4-40, drill the hole out to fit these Dubro pull/pull crimps, which have almost a perfect M2 interior diameter. You will have to cut them down to length...but this is easily done.

SteveT
Those arms look nice - I have a bunch of 4-40 ball link hardware too that I can use. What sizes would I need if I wanted to put them all around?
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:58 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
Manta's mantra,is leccy or gassy as long as it will huck,huck it!! I like gas too for the sound.I dont have any gasser planes but still think they be cool too.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:17 PM
HIBDON FOR PRESIDENT !!
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
Yep, my experience is purely my opinion too. Everyone will have a different opinion on this matter.

While were on the subject Getting back to the bloc support on wheel pants how much of the axle goes in the hole. Seems like a pretty tight area to get this to work. Do you flex wheel pant to get everything to go together.
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:26 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,900 Posts
4-40 ball links dont fit the control horns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
Those arms look nice - I have a bunch of 4-40 ball link hardware too that I can use. What sizes would I need if I wanted to put them all around?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:32 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
687 Posts
Here is my electric setup I'm planning on converting my gas 71" slick over to. Please check it out and let me know if this is a good setup. I'm a sport flyer and just starting to try the 3D stuff.
Motor: DM4325-380
ESC: CC Ice 100
BEC: CC BEC Pro
Battery: Gens Ace 6s 5000mah (not sure which C rating yet)
Prop: Xoar 19x10

Question I had. I've never ran a BEC so this is my first large electric moving up from 48" Edge. What size battery pack should I use with the BEC as a receiver pack?
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:37 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,900 Posts
for sport flying/transitional I would recommend the Hacker A60-5xs. Just run the bec pro from the main flight pack and be done. Also would recommend a HV120 over the ICE 100 for more amperage to the motor.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:37 PM
The Twisted Elf
USA, NJ, Trenton
Joined Nov 2010
452 Posts
i have both electric and gas with no problems of deadsticking with either but i don't mind if it happens because i practiced dead sticks for months on a glow plane,the only time i don't like electric is when the timer goes off after 6 mins. and i have to land,thats when the gasser comes out
lugnutz is offline Find More Posts by lugnutz
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:18 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
for sport flying/transitional I would recommend the Hacker A60-5xs. Just run the bec pro from the main flight pack and be done. Also would recommend a HV120 over the ICE 100 for more amperage to the motor.
So the BEC will run off the 6s 5000mah packs I would get? Never ran a BEC. Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen