Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:39 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsg View Post
Five in a row seems strange. Are you sure it isn't the motor? What does the log say?
This is a two year old airframe though still like new but have a few fire remains inside the cowl and a few dings on trailing edge of the rudder due to loss of power while hovering. This started from the first one which I guess was rev. 1. Burned during flight so was replaced by a rev. 2. Lost power again, was advised by Castle to change some settings but lost power again. It was replaced by Castle which lost power again (burned) during that time found that it was part of a recall so they sent me this new one ICE2. It lost power again during flight and now been advised to change some settings.

Some of those bad one would show some crazy numbers in the log file which you will not believe and not even possible i.e, 12,000 amps and 42,000W.

The good thing is that between me and my friend we only paid for one controller to begin with and all these in between were replaced free of charge. Some were replaced before even sending the old ones and did receive prepaid shipping envelops to send back the bad ones.

With the exception of a few of my electric planes, all I have are Castle controllers.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:50 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
And the last broke the LG and cracked the cowl.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:24 PM
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Jun 2002
430 Posts
Can't wait to get that new ICE 100 installed in mine...
Reaper802 is offline Find More Posts by Reaper802
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:26 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,477 Posts
Damn, does Castle replace your smashed up airframe when their controller flames out? I don't think I'd risk an expensive airframe with that many issues unresolved.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:42 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post
This is a two year old airframe though still like new but have a few fire remains inside the cowl and a few dings on trailing edge of the rudder due to loss of power while hovering. This started from the first one which I guess was rev. 1. Burned during flight so was replaced by a rev. 2. Lost power again, was advised by Castle to change some settings but lost power again. It was replaced by Castle which lost power again (burned) during that time found that it was part of a recall so they sent me this new one ICE2. It lost power again during flight and now been advised to change some settings.

That's a lot of faith in Castle

So two original ICE fires, three cut-outs. I would double-check the setup, in particular the motor. An HV160 pushing a 10lb plane has no right to cut out. ESC fires were a very specific issue; the loss of power might point to some other problem, not necessarily with the ESC itself.
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:49 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsg View Post
That's a lot of faith in Castle

So two original ICE fires, three cut-outs. I would double-check the setup, in particular the motor. An HV160 pushing a 10lb plane has no right to cut out. ESC fires were a very specific issue; the loss of power might point to some other problem, not necessarily with the ESC itself.
There is nothing complicated to the setup. It has a hacker motor and a BEC Pro on a separate battery for the RX. The setup and the motor runs fine when it runs. It escaped all the times till the last one when it broke the LG.

The faith is truly there with the hope that they will sort out the issues. At one point thought about converting the 71 to a 30CC gas though but I have enough gas planes now.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Jun 2002
430 Posts
Is anyone out there running 7954SH servos over 7.4 volts? My high voltage dual regulator will allow me to run up to 3S packs but I'm not sure if the servos can handle it.
Reaper802 is offline Find More Posts by Reaper802
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:15 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,477 Posts
My baby, all opened up on the operating table. I've got one former roughed in, working on #2.Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347329773.104048.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 133.8 KB
Description:
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:33 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper802 View Post
Is anyone out there running 7954SH servos over 7.4 volts? My high voltage dual regulator will allow me to run up to 3S packs but I'm not sure if the servos can handle it.
7954SH will not take anything more than a fully charged 2S lipo unregulated.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:36 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,884 Posts
Quad racer,

I found out today about the slick and it sucks to see the pics but glad its not that bad plus you are making progress fixxing it. That was the original landing gear and wheel pants. I changed the wheels though to bigger ones.
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:36 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
So my 70 with os gt33 and two tail servos is tail heavy. Never would have thought that. Anyone using nose weight to balance a gasser slick?
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:41 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
So my 70 with os gt33 and two tail servos is tail heavy. Never would have thought that. Anyone using nose weight to balance a gasser slick?
No reason you can't, but why don't you move your rudder servo up front for pull/pull? Or did you do a two servo elevator set-up?

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:43 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,925 Posts
No its a one elevator servo deal. It was recommended that I would need to move the rudder servo to the back and that bit me in the ass. As over powered as this thing is I may just move the receiver battery as far forward as possible and see what that gets me and if that does not work then think about moving that tail servo.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:54 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
You can move the ignition battery inside the cowl as well if you are using one if not then it will not hurt to have a separate ignition battery.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:54 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
No its a one elevator servo deal. It was recommended that I would need to move the rudder servo to the back and that bit me in the ass. As over powered as this thing is I may just move the receiver battery as far forward as possible and see what that gets me and if that does not work then think about moving that tail servo.
That's why if a plane might be "iffy", then I wait until the end of the build and tape the servo and linkage into position (where it would mount) on the tail... That way I can make sure where it will go, without cutting any covering....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...