to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:05 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
My Castle HV120 let out the magic smoke this morning when it rains it poors.
Anything in particular you were doing that might have caused it?
I've got a few of those running now, they seemed like they have been reliable (more than the 160's at least used to be). My 89 has one, and my 70" Velox, and my soon to arrive replacement 71" Slick is slated to get one. Maybe I should rethink that.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:12 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
Nothing crazy. Just my normal flying. With that said mine is a standard hv120 not a new version 2. I got mine back from castle about the time the recall came out but it worked and l didnt want to send it back in since it worked. Guess l need to give castle a call and see what its going to cost to get fixed.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:19 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
My Castle HV120 let out the magic smoke this morning when it rains it poors.
Happend to my 160HV yesterday in the 71 flown by a friend of mine. Originally his plane but I had it for sometime and now back to him.

This will be the 5th or probably the 6th Castle 160HV loosing power in the same plane. Two literally burned and the rest will simply cut power during flight. All this time the plane was brought deadstick with no damage at all but this time broken landing gears and some damage to the cowl. What's wrong with these HV controllers?
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:21 PM
SF Bay Area
Joined Sep 2001
151 Posts
Thanks all for the advice! Will just make and glue new ply doublers.

Losi sorry to hear about your ESC. Castle might warranty it so a call to them is definitely good way to go.

Quote:
I put new peices behind my blind nuts. If you dont the nuts are to deep and come out the other end of the motor mount
Huang is offline Find More Posts by Huang
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:35 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,013 Posts
Well, sorry for your loss on the hv120 Losi, but glad it wasn't a rev2. That gives me hope that the version 2 ones are still somewhat reliable!
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:03 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,910 Posts
Quote:
No damage this time thankfully
GOOD!!!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:18 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,114 Posts
ouch sorry Losi. Getting burned by castle cremations sucks. Glad no damage to the plane..whew.
Salam sorry for your troubles too
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:21 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post
Happend to my 160HV yesterday in the 71 flown by a friend of mine. Originally his plane but I had it for sometime and now back to him.

This will be the 5th or probably the 6th Castle 160HV loosing power in the same plane. Two literally burned and the rest will simply cut power during flight. All this time the plane was brought deadstick with no damage at all but this time broken landing gears and some damage to the cowl. What's wrong with these HV controllers?
Was yours an ICE2-HV160???

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:37 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Was yours an ICE2-HV160???

SteveT.
Mine is the ICE2 recently replaced by Castle. The controller is still intact but lost power while getting out of a hover during a hard pull. My friend spoke to Castle and was advised shutting off the overcurrent setting.

One before this was in this same plane totally burned during a high energy KE spin. I had the height at the time so bringing the plane back safely was easy.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:54 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post

Five in a row seems strange. Are you sure it isn't the motor? What does the log say?
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:57 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
5 in a row isn't strange. My brother went threw the same. He finally has an esc that is working perfectly. Castle had a bad run there for a while
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:05 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,057 Posts
Were these ICE or ICE2? Castle did have a bad run - one of their suppliers changed specs on a component, which caused the whole thing to short. ICE2 replaced these with a custom designed chip. So five V1s in a row isn't strange; but no one should be flying a V1 today, so I'd think Syed's five in a row would be ICE2?
Last edited by nsg; Sep 10, 2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: mixed up Castle ICE V2 and Castle ICE2
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:16 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
The first run of the v2s were poping like fire crackers. Thats why l didn't send mine in. My brothers hv120 and 160 were both v1 and both went up. He then got the v2s and they both died while plugging in the battery. The next batch both died after a few flights and crashed his planes. Same for the next. He now has ones that work finally. His bad luck with the v2s and a few othersl know of is the reason I kept mine. I know they finally got it worked out.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:23 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,057 Posts
Yeah. I took the ICE out, put in an old, non-ICE HV-85 and waited till they sort this out for good. Then sent in my HV-80 and HV-60 to be fixed. Never bothered to put the HV-80 back in either - it's still NIP.

There were two revisions, V2 and ICE2 (as usual, I mixed them up in my post above). The first one, I think they labelled them as V2, didn't work - they didn't identify the real problem The one marked ICE2 did - this is where they went to a custom-designed component. There was a pretty involved discussion on Castle's forum, probably archived by now. Talked of FETs, FET drivers, etc.

That said, Syed's case clearly isn't one of these fires, at least not all of them, so my question is still valid.