HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:31 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,009 Posts
Losi, xraydoc had that same thing happen on an 87" SHP last monday. One cell of a Gens Ace 6s5300 dumped to zero and the plane lost power in a hover. At least it was a low hover and he was able to push over into a hard harrier/plop landing. Only damage is busted up landing gear, prop, and maybe a wheel pant or two. And a new $90 battery.
Doesn't happen often, but it sucks when it does!
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:29 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
858 Posts
While I have had zero issues with my gens ace collection of 40+ lipos, Im slowly switching over to glacier. Apparently they are made in Dale's (from EP Buddy) hometown. The factory makes several other well known brands. He places orders monthly and the are delivered via air. I got feed up with Gens being OOS for months on end.

Losi, ryan sorry about the planes. Glad its repairable. I wish there was a better way to tell the life remaining in these packs.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:13 PM
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Jun 2002
423 Posts
So I've gone with the dual high voltage regulator setup and I'm looking for feedback on where you guys have installed the switch.

There isn't much balsa to play with and the provided pre-cut slot will require a fair amount of opening up. It is also a pretty long run back to the receiver. Anyone willing to share some photos of their installations?
Reaper802 is offline Find More Posts by Reaper802
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:22 PM
Nothin Ventured, Nothin Gained
United States, NC, Hickory
Joined Jul 2011
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Got the plane fixed. I was trying to figure out why my motor sounded bad as it never hit the ground. It was vibrating broken prices of wood in the plane. So motor is good and plane is all fixed back up.

Broke 4 bulkheads, a few stringers, and the battery tray. Smushed in the end of the left wing where it landed. Luckily I had some stuff to get it fixed.
Hate to hear that it got bruised up a little bit, but I'm glad to hear you got it fixed too. With the combination of the 71's attributes and you behind the sticks, I'll bet you'll not be able to tell a difference in the way it flies.
harddrive8 is online now Find More Posts by harddrive8
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:27 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
Put 10 flights on her today. It flew perfectly. Thought l did dumb thumb the 51 slick this morning. I busted it up a lot worse than the 71. I ripped the whole left wing off and 1/2 the left elevator, killed the gear too. Oh and 2 servos in it are toast. So that 4 5085s that need to be fixed and 2 7985s.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:38 PM
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Jun 2002
423 Posts
A quick dry fit:

One voltage reg is down the hole under the switch. No idea where I'm going to put the second one yet...

I'm leaving that room in front of the receiver for the two 2S LiPos.
Reaper802 is offline Find More Posts by Reaper802
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:46 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Losi, xraydoc had that same thing happen on an 87" SHP last monday. One cell of a Gens Ace 6s5300 dumped to zero and the plane lost power in a hover. At least it was a low hover and he was able to push over into a hard harrier/plop landing. Only damage is busted up landing gear, prop, and maybe a wheel pant or two. And a new $90 battery.
Doesn't happen often, but it sucks when it does!
I wish it didn't...oficially all of my gens-ace 25c 4s 3800 have lost a cell. that's about 8. Usually cell 1 or 4. Tested a couple on a PL8 and the other 3 cells were about 2 on IR, bad cell about 5 and climbing on IR. Some have 100 cycles some less than 25. All on 25% planes, 8s running no more than 70a. 3 went out at the Huckfest this past weekend. That aluminum plate keeps them from looking like they are puffing to bad.

Rob
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:23 PM
Joined Jul 2011
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Put 10 flights on her today. It flew perfectly. Thought l did dumb thumb the 51 slick this morning. I busted it up a lot worse than the 71. I ripped the whole left wing off and 1/2 the left elevator, killed the gear too. Oh and 2 servos in it are toast. So that 4 5085s that need to be fixed and 2 7985s.
*@$(!!!! Sounds like you've taken my luck (not a good thing). When it rains it pours sometimes. If you don't mind me askin, what happened with the 51?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Jul 2011
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
I wish it didn't...oficially all of my gens-ace 25c 4s 3800 have lost a cell. that's about 8. Usually cell 1 or 4. Tested a couple on a PL8 and the other 3 cells were about 2 on IR, bad cell about 5 and climbing on IR. Some have 100 cycles some less than 25. All on 25% planes, 8s running no more than 70a. 3 went out at the Huckfest this past weekend. That aluminum plate keeps them from looking like they are puffing to bad.

Rob
All this talk makes me think I may need to re-enable the IR screen on my PL8. The plates on the battery are good for protecting them but bad for warning signs I reckon... Mine normally get pulled out just barely warm though at worst. It's still better safe than sorry whenever possible IMO.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:55 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,900 Posts
I filled in a whole cutout section right above the aileron area of the fuse and glued it all around and mounted the switch there. Tried to mount it further back than that the first time and now have a patch on my new plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper802 View Post
So I've gone with the dual high voltage regulator setup and I'm looking for feedback on where you guys have installed the switch.

There isn't much balsa to play with and the provided pre-cut slot will require a fair amount of opening up. It is also a pretty long run back to the receiver. Anyone willing to share some photos of their installations?
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:24 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post

Rob

Yeah....Ive shied away from hobbypartz batteries after having piss poor luck with with Sky and Gen Ace 25c....they just dont hold voltage for me after 20-30 charges. Worst Ive ever tried. And Im very easy on my batteries......only discharging to 20% or so.
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:45 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harddrive8 View Post
*@$(!!!! Sounds like you've taken my luck (not a good thing). When it rains it pours sometimes. If you don't mind me askin, what happened with the 51?
The 51 crash was all me. I am working on cleaning up my rolling to the right rolling harriers. I normally roll left. Well messed up timing and hit the ground. You know l seem to do everything low and had no time to recover.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:18 PM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
858 Posts
So will checking cell IR give some insight in to a cell out to go bad? So if i have readings like 2 2 3 8 somethings up? Anything other way to check? I wish i could see cell voltage under load.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:25 PM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,025 Posts
Hey guys I am looking for some help. I am running a Lipo Battery with a Ultra BEC. I am going to have a Deans end on the lipo. What is a good switch to use for the 71" Slick. I will need the switch to go to a AR8000 Reciever. Any suggestions on a good reasonable on cost switch??
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:30 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,180 Posts
Got my GoPro working, FINALLY, and got a flight in this evening. Uploading it right now. No low and slow madness, just a lazy flight. The wind was kicking up pretty good as we have some storms on their way.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer