HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:51 AM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
If it was your plane what would you do?Whats the best set up ??
If it was mine I would use the AR 9100 receiver and tech aero ultra bec. The AR 9100 is expensive but it gives you battery backup. On the other hand, I've used 1 lipo in all my planes other than my 89 have never had one fail. There is a 71 gas thread on Flying Giants check it out.
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:02 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
If it were mine I would use the bec pro and a one 3s lipo 1300mah or 1550mah. And set the bec pro to 8.2v. You really don't need two batteries at this size. I would also use the tech aero ibec.

But another good setup if you don't want to use a regulator would be to use the spektrum ar9110(if you use spektrum) and plug two 2s 1000mah lipos directly into it for redundancy. And use the tech aero ibec.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Sep 01, 2012, 08:50 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
I'm running the dm5320-300 in mine on 2x4s4000 as 8s setup with Xoar19x8 prop and wondered what sort of realistic flight time I should expect.

I did a couple of 5:30 runs today with plenty of pop tops and blenders and came down with <10% left in my packs?
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:09 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,466 Posts
Roger what was your cell voltage? I fly 6 minutes and that leaves me a little left. Though if l fly hard l land a little early just incase. I have had my batts dump at 5 mins when l push it.

Basicly it all depends on how you fly. The more time you put on the plane the easier to figure out how much time works best over al for you
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:50 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity2424 View Post
thats the only thing that sucks about Savox, they don't come with good arms. Futuba Dubro arms would work just fine.
Do not use the Dubro servo arms on a plane this size. They are nylon and can/will slip on the servo spline.
A friend set up his with one on the rudder ask me to fly it, good on low rates switched to high rates and tried a pop top, rudder servo slipped and was locked at full throw and spun it in. even with full opposite rudder it did not straighten out. He did have the big hitec 400 oz servos.

If you use any after market servo arm go to the aluminum ones.

Just my 2c

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Sep 01, 2012, 02:54 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,231 Posts
Anyone know if the ball links supplied with the 71" Slick are threaded for 4/40 Rod. Need to now ASAP.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:00 PM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,301 Posts
nope
joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:41 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
Anyone know if the ball links supplied with the 71" Slick are threaded for 4/40 Rod. Need to now ASAP.
They are (I believe)...M2.5. The actual hole in the ball is M2....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:54 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Got the charger working overtime. Headed out to try a different prop today. If I remember correctly I didn't care for the Apc in the bigger sizes but I want to try it again on the rewound motor. I have a few apc's in different sizes that will probably never get any use now. If anyone is interested in 20x12 wide or 22x10 Pm me and I'll make a heck of a deal for someone. That 20x12W is super stiff compared to a regular Apc in the same size range. The one I put on is a 20x10 which is the same as the xoar I've been running. Heck I even put a spinner on it. Not sure why besides looks.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:43 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
They are (I believe)...M2.5. The actual hole in the ball is M2....

SteveT
Tanks Steve, but I'm looking for the size of the threaded end.What size thread rod screws into it,I!m thinking 4/40 but not sure.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:25 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Roger what was your cell voltage? I fly 6 minutes and that leaves me a little left. Though if l fly hard l land a little early just incase. I have had my batts dump at 5 mins when l push it.

Basicly it all depends on how you fly. The more time you put on the plane the easier to figure out how much time works best over al for you
Matt,
At the 5:30 mark my cell volts came in at around 3.45 per cell.
I must admit these gen ace packs showed no sag during those high energy flights and maybe I did one or two pop tops too many?

Dropping my time to 5:00 and a bit less energy gave my 3.75 per cell which is probably a lot healthier for my packs.

The drained down ones took 92% on refill which is a lot I think, but then again a lot better performance that the blue turnigys I ran before.

I was going to try a Xoar 19x10 out as the Xoar19x8 feels a bit slow, and perhaps why I'm using more throttle to get pop tops to "pop" if you know what I mean.

I might also try a few flight of low and gentle, hovers, harriers, and rollers and see how that effects electron consumption.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:13 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
WOW did I ever get a surprise when I ran that APC 20x10. Let me just say I had 3 sets of flight packs and only flew one. There was a storm coming in anyway but that prop was total garbage. I took my watts up meter with me and was amazed at the numbers. With my strongest packs I got a little over 3100watts at 83 amps I usually am around 2800 @ 76 amps.
Made me a little nervous but I tried it anyway. There was really no power gain and in fact that prop just wanted to RIP when I hammered it during stalls. That was also the hottest I have ever got my Motrolfly. The prop wasn't that bad on the other Kv but I did like the xoar better then as well. Lesson learned for me. I have a video but will have to take a look at it and decide if it's worth posting. I am making comments during flight and wasn't really enjoying it.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:06 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
If it were mine I would use the bec pro and a one 3s lipo 1300mah or 1550mah. And set the bec pro to 8.2v. You really don't need two batteries at this size. I would also use the tech aero ibec.

But another good setup if you don't want to use a regulator would be to use the spektrum ar9110(if you use spektrum) and plug two 2s 1000mah lipos directly into it for redundancy. And use the tech aero ibec.
If you use the Tech Aero Ultra with 2s you don't need a BEC, it regulates the ignition to 6.6 - 6.1 - 5.5 -5.5 or 5.1 plus you get the ignition kill switch on your TX. If your using high voltage servos then your good to go.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:16 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
If you use the Tech Aero Ultra with 2s you don't need a BEC, it regulates the ignition to 6.6 - 6.1 - 5.5 -5.5 or 5.1 plus you get the ignition kill switch on your TX. If your using high voltage servos then your good to go.
What? Sorry, I'm confused. I didn't say anything about a bec with the tech aero. The bec would be to regulate the 3s battery down to 8.2v.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:22 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
What? Sorry, I'm confused. I didn't say anything about a bec with the tech aero. The bec would be to regulate the 3s battery down to 8.2v.

In your first sentence you mentioned you would "also" use the tech aero, which condused me a bit. Trying to help a friend set up his 71" gas slick.