3d flippin
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Jan 2012
1,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
Very cool!

How do you like that epp Yak??

man it is the most fun plane i have ever flown!!!!!!!! it is so solid and durable i bumped earth 10 times today practicing low stuff and it just took it all!!!!! stock servos are junk though
The_MonsterMash is offline Find More Posts by The_MonsterMash
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 01:43 AM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_MonsterMash View Post
man it is the most fun plane i have ever flown!!!!!!!! it is so solid and durable i bumped earth 10 times today practicing low stuff and it just took it all!!!!! stock servos are junk though
Sounds fun!

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:05 AM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_MonsterMash View Post
here is my slick guys!!!
what do you think about the stickers?!?
the slick looks quite a bit bigger than the velox... is that just the camera angle or is it bigger in real life?
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:06 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,640 Posts
The Slick is much larger!! Though of course the wings are not hugely larger, the fuselage is most definitely larger. It is taller and fatter...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:43 AM
3d flippin
Joined Jan 2012
1,857 Posts
Demetion wise they are close to the same but the slick sits higher and has gone to the gym where as the velox is the skinny dude lol the slicks size is all on the fuse an the rudder
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:47 AM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,734 Posts
ok, thanks guys! Those are the 2 planes i'm trying to decide between and its leaning towards the slick.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:51 AM
3d flippin
Joined Jan 2012
1,857 Posts
The slick is great I can not get enough of it real impressed with my setup
Rim fire 1.20
Castle ice 100
Futaba 8fg
Hobby partz d771 solar servos swear by them
And a gens ace 1900 life direct to reciver
6s 4000 & 4400 gens ace 25c and 35c flys real real nice
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:53 AM
3d flippin
Joined Jan 2012
1,857 Posts
But the velox is also a really nice plane real floaty it has a nice elevator design to allow it to slow like a 540 effortless rolling harriers but I am likening the slick a bit more then my old velox
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:44 AM
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman27410 View Post
Sounds like a good experiment to me....i bet you could balance it just fine using pull pull setup!
How big a prop will a DLE20 swing in real life? Personally I dont think i would want to fly the plane with less than 18x8... but since you have a known engine prop combo it could be worth a shot with the 18x6.
It doesn't take a ton of rpms to fly a 71 but the plane responds a lot better with a bigger prop throwing air over the control surfaces.
I know how much floatier my 48" edge flies when i go from 2800 to 2200 packs so why shouldnt the 71 slick respond similarly to losing weight? performance may drop when doing certain manuvers but fun tactor may be elevated while doing others .....
I couldn't have said it better. I think the weight loss will help in some areas. The best prop is the 17x6 Xoar turning around 7,800. The 18x6 turns around 7,200 but it doesnt spool up as quick. If there was a 18x5 I could go with the 18" prop. I think I will proceed with the build all but the engine and then see what the airframe weights completed with no motor and put the motor on last so I can debate it some more. I like floaty planes and dont care too much how fast I can go straight up as long as I can pull out of a hover. But, I will look at the Slick fuselage thickness also vs. the Funtana I have experience with the propwash may be more of an obsticle with the slick because the fuse is a little taller and wider I think.
hooliganpilot is offline Find More Posts by hooliganpilot
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:15 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,137 Posts
One inch of prop might make a whole crap ton of difference but you never know till you try. For example... On my 51 slick I started out with a motor with a higher kv than recommended because I had it on hand. That meant I needed to run a smaller prop so I elected for a 13x6.5 instead of the recommended 14x7. The power was great but when I started harriering around I noticed that my elevator and rudder didn't have much authority. This was also perpetuated to control in a hover as well as harrier rolling. When I got a chance to put the right motor on and move up to the 14x7 prop the change was instant and amazing. Suddenly I had tons of confidence in post stall and really started to wring it out.

You might be able to get away with a 17" prop and have it perform ok but just keep my little anecdote in mind and if it doesn't inspire confidence in post-stall attitudes you will know that the prop size is the problem.

I'm intrigued by what you find out from this experiment if you go through with it. I obviously have doubts but that is all they are. Since you are the one that will have to swap the motor out if you hate it I'm very interested
3DNater is offline Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:32 PM
Clearwater, Florida
Joined Apr 2004
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
One inch of prop might make a whole crap ton of difference but you never know till you try. For example... On my 51 slick I started out with a motor with a higher kv than recommended because I had it on hand. That meant I needed to run a smaller prop so I elected for a 13x6.5 instead of the recommended 14x7. The power was great but when I started harriering around I noticed that my elevator and rudder didn't have much authority. This was also perpetuated to control in a hover as well as harrier rolling. When I got a chance to put the right motor on and move up to the 14x7 prop the change was instant and amazing. Suddenly I had tons of confidence in post stall and really started to wring it out.

You might be able to get away with a 17" prop and have it perform ok but just keep my little anecdote in mind and if it doesn't inspire confidence in post-stall attitudes you will know that the prop size is the problem.

I'm intrigued by what you find out from this experiment if you go through with it. I obviously have doubts but that is all they are. Since you are the one that will have to swap the motor out if you hate it I'm very interested
I found out the same on my dle30. i went from 18x8,19x8 and ended up at a vess 20a
500melon is offline Find More Posts by 500melon
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:48 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500melon View Post
ended up at a vess 20a
the slick really like the Vess 20A
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:59 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
Where are you getting the vess 20a? I cant find it in stock anywhere.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:18 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...ners/vess.html
goflyhighrc is offline Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
I buy mine direct from Vess.... they are just right over from me in Raleigh. NC

http://www.vesspropellers.com/servle...ter/Categories
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Last edited by racerman27410; Aug 06, 2012 at 08:26 PM.