HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:27 AM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,252 Posts
If the plug is wet you could be flooded, keep the plug out for a bit to dry out then keep flipping. Is the engine running at all? Half a second or just flipping and popping? Silly question, is your throttle going the right way? Assuming your plane is secure on the ground or being held by another person I wouldn't be scared to bump your throttle up to even close to half when your starting it.
joshet89 is online now Find More Posts by joshet89
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:29 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
sounds like you have the right spark I was thinking that unplugging and then replugging in the ignition module might help get more current to the ignition.
i tried replugging and ignition and ibec and plug...i knew i should have gone electric lol... right spark? almost invisible or invisible and barely audible sound from spark... does that sound correct?
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:32 AM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,901 Posts
Sounds about right to me. I would be inclined to remove the plug, unplug the ignition, shut off the fuel and spin the motor over a bunch to clear out the fuel in the cylinder. What fuel/oil are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
i tried replugging and ignition and ibec and plug...i knew i should have gone electric lol... right spark? almost invisible or invisible and barely audible sound from spark... does that sound correct?
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:33 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshet89 View Post
If the plug is wet you could be flooded, keep the plug out for a bit to dry out then keep flipping. Is the engine running at all? Half a second or just flipping and popping? Silly question, is your throttle going the right way? Assuming your plane is secure on the ground or being held by another person I wouldn't be scared to bump your throttle up to even close to half when your starting it.
its not even popping.. during todays 30min flipping i got only 2 times couple of pops, other than that nothing...

does throttle go correct way? well if i start engine with 10-15% throttle or even 50%, does that even matter? if throttle would be wrong way, i would get 90% power and be in trouble but engine WOULD start, no? but basically if removing throttle linkage would set throttle to 0 with spring, than its going correct....
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:35 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
Sounds about right to me. I would be inclined to remove the plug, unplug the ignition, shut off the fuel and spin the motor over a bunch to clear out the fuel in the cylinder. What fuel/oil are you using?
oil - klotz modellube (the one recomended by os)
fuel, i dont actually remember but 95, unleaded if memory serves me right..
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:41 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,627 Posts
Remove the plug. and watch for a spark as you rapidly turn the prop.
You will be able to see a good spark. Hold it so its not in the sunlight.
A good white spark is clearly visible.

If no spark or very faint check the Voltage going to the ignition box. Should be around 5 volts.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:47 AM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
405 Posts
Quote:
hmmm..ok, ill try to shorten carb fuel line... ehh...
basically here is how i understand starting...
switch all on, close choke, throttle 5-10%, flip the prop while fuel gets to carb, open choke, and continue flipping prop while engine starts...

you dont want to give the OS any throttle while you are choking it. it will draw up the fuel much quicker with the throttle closed.

Normally once it pops and you turn the choke off then you want to just crack open the throttle a bit. (after you get your throttle endpoints dialed in)

seeing how this is your first run i would follow the tuning instructions in the manual and reset the needles to the recommended starting positions.

Once it pops on choke give it about half throttle while cranking to make sure your throttle servo doesnt have the throttle closed too much for the engine to run. (make sure your assistant has a good grip on the plane)

then you can set your endpoints on the throttle servo and enjoy a great running engine.

its tough to check the spark on the OS ignition as it has a limiter to keep it from sparking unless a certain RPM is achieved.
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,605 Posts
Check the spark as Joe said ....but it sounds to me like it was flooded. Once flooded it will not start until you let it dry out some......on a hot day you need to let it sit for 10-20 mins with the throttle open. Frist starts can be difficult at times. Ive had some start right up and other that took a while and some playn with throttle settings. Youll get it...hang in there.
GoldCraft is offline Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:57 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman27410 View Post
seeing how this is your first run i would follow the tuning instructions in the manual and reset the needles to the recommended starting positions.

its tough to check the spark on the OS ignition as it has a limiter to keep it from sparking unless a certain RPM is achieved.

wait, do i need to touch needles before runing? i didnt... >.< i was thinking to tune if something does not run right...
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:04 PM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,252 Posts
I didn't touch my needles but the manual states to set them out of the box. I had to open my high end a turn or so to get it from dying on throttle.
joshet89 is online now Find More Posts by joshet89
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:06 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
405 Posts
Quote:
wait, do i need to touch needles before runing? i didnt... >.< i was thinking to tune if something does not run right...
Personally i would call non starting a "not running right" condition

thats why they give you baseline settings and specific tuning instructions.

i can just about promise you good results if you follow the needle tuning instructions in the manual.
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:58 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,901 Posts
Throttle closed choke closed you are flipping the prop and not even a sputter?

I would try resetting the needles to what the manual calls for and go from there.

Quote:
its not even popping.. during todays 30min flipping i got only 2 times couple of pops, other than that nothing...

does throttle go correct way? well if i start engine with 10-15% throttle or even 50%, does that even matter? if throttle would be wrong way, i would get 90% power and be in trouble but engine WOULD start, no? but basically if removing throttle linkage would set throttle to 0 with spring, than its going correct....
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:50 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
I have a question about the motrolfy dm5320-300.
I'm currently running it on Xoar19x8 and 2x 30C4s3600 packs and its pretty strong but gets a lot of volt sag after a few minutes flying.

I have some great skylip 40C6s3300 packs that I thought about joining for 12s and see what it's like.

Will this motor handle 12s in this Kv if I dial my throttle max down to match the rpms I currently get?

Ps. I'm using a ztw 120A esc and currently peak at around 80A.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:55 PM
Team Hillbilly
Baltimore, Md
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
I have a question about the motrolfy dm5320-300.
I'm currently running it on Xoar19x8 and 2x 30C4s3600 packs and its pretty strong but gets a lot of volt sag after a few minutes flying.

I have some great skylip 40C6s3300 packs that I thought about joining for 12s and see what it's like.

Will this motor handle 12s in this Kv if I dial my throttle max down to match the rpms I currently get?

Ps. I'm using a ztw 120A esc and currently peak at around 80A.
I'm not sure you would want to jump the voltage that much. I assume you are running an 8s setup now? Adding 50% more voltage seems like a huge jump to me. I would think you would have to prop way down to keep the amps under control. It wouldn't hurt to give Ken a shout and ask him what he thinks. I run my 5320-230kv on 10s and get 76 amps @ about 2800watts on full packs with a 20x10. Not saying it will be impossible but just think you'll end up spending money testing something that won't work out as expected. I'm sure others will chime in as well.
tominator06 is online now Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:54 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,638 Posts
Thanks for that.

I plan to buy some gens ace 4s4000 shortly for this plane, but in the mean time as I had the Sky6s packs here for my 60" that it might work out.

Just didn't want to burn up the motor, but don't know if the extra volts would be OK, even if I dialled down the throttle end point to limit the rpm, effectively limiting the amps from the lipo, and I assume going to the motor as well??
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger