HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:35 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Gary is a stand up guy to buy from too. His packaging is very well done. I have been flying the 89 a lot lately too. It's amazing hoe well that thing does slow roller down the runway. Oh it also handles crashing in a corn field well too
Thanks Matt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
I think you're going to regret selling the 70" Slick, as you won't always feel like hauling the gasser out....but it's your plane....

SteveT
Yes, BUT, I still have a 74" Edge, 60" Edge, getting a 60" MXS, 51" Slick, 48" Laser, and a 42" Slick.

Do I really NEED 4 Slicks?

-G
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:43 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
Thanks Matt!

Yes, BUT, I still have a 74" Edge, 60" Edge, getting a 60" MXS, 51" Slick, 48" Laser, and a 42" Slick.

Do I really NEED 4 Slicks?

-G
I have 3 . need to sell one tho.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:44 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
I have 3 . need to sell one tho.
3 is my target number, and where I'll be when I sell the 70". Speaking of which, the classified ad is up: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22308628
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:46 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
3 is my target number, and where I'll be when I sell the 70". Speaking of which, the classified ad is up: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22308628
Well, I had 4,lol so i gave one to Powerlines. It still hangs in my trailer from time to time.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:58 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Guys, I run hs7985mg in my slick and noticed yesterday several of the servo arm screws had worked loose after 10 flights.

Is this normal on these servos?

I put some blue loc tight in there now, but not sure how long it will hold.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:05 PM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,288 Posts
Loctite isn't the best for the nylon arms (I have done it in the past with no ill effects) I have started putting a dab of welders on top of the screw to keep it in place. Metal to metal should be secured for sure!
joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:23 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,928 Posts
I use a dab of zap goo between the arm and the screw. Never will they back out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
Guys, I run hs7985mg in my slick and noticed yesterday several of the servo arm screws had worked loose after 10 flights.

Is this normal on these servos?

I put some blue loc tight in there now, but not sure how long it will hold.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jul 30, 2012, 05:38 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,437 Posts
Blue locktite for me. 700ish flights with no issues.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jul 2011
68 Posts
Slick is sitting at my house now, waiting to get off work and check it out, hopefully Brown didn't step on the box with 2 big boot prints like my 72" Extra. I was freaking out but the boxes are pretty strong.
renoglowflyer is offline Find More Posts by renoglowflyer
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:32 PM
FlyGuy
Batavia, IL, USA
Joined Oct 2007
323 Posts
Loctite and Karbonite gears

Hey guys,
F.W.I.W. a few years back I learned that Loctite used on the servo arm screws of the the Hitec Karbonite gear servos is not a good idea. The Loctite melts the Karbonite. I had the output shaft on two different Karbonite gear servos in the same plane practically fall out of the servos, although the servo arm stayed put on the shaft. Checking the Hitec website will probably confirm that Loctite should not be used with Karbonite gears.

I did a little research:
Q. Can I use loctite with my Karbonite gears?

A. It has come to the attention of the Hitec Product Service Department that some customers owning Hitec's KARBONITE gear servos are using thread locking compounds on the servo horn screws. Thread locking compounds such as the popular LocktiteTM brand, are for use with METAL to METAL fasteners.

USING A THREAD LOCKING COMPOUND ON KARBONITE GEAR SERVOS WILL CAUSE THE PLASTIC TO FAIL.

Thread locking compound instructions typically warn against their use on plastics, as most plastic material will become brittle and shatter. If you or any of your friends have used thread locking compounds on plastic / KARBONITE geared servos, please cease using them immediately and contact a Hitec dealer for a replacement gear set.
ldhflyguy is offline Find More Posts by ldhflyguy
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:42 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhflyguy View Post
Hey guys,
F.W.I.W. a few years back I learned that Loctite used on the servo arm screws of the the Hitec Karbonite gear servos is not a good idea. The Loctite melts the Karbonite. I had the output shaft on two different Karbonite gear servos in the same plane practically fall out of the servos, although the servo arm stayed put on the shaft. Checking the Hitec website will probably confirm that Loctite should not be used with Karbonite gears.

I did a little research:
Q. Can I use loctite with my Karbonite gears?

A. It has come to the attention of the Hitec Product Service Department that some customers owning Hitec's KARBONITE gear servos are using thread locking compounds on the servo horn screws. Thread locking compounds such as the popular LocktiteTM brand, are for use with METAL to METAL fasteners.

USING A THREAD LOCKING COMPOUND ON KARBONITE GEAR SERVOS WILL CAUSE THE PLASTIC TO FAIL.

Thread locking compound instructions typically warn against their use on plastics, as most plastic material will become brittle and shatter. If you or any of your friends have used thread locking compounds on plastic / KARBONITE geared servos, please cease using them immediately and contact a Hitec dealer for a replacement gear set.
They were talking about metal gear servos.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:48 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
Thanks guys.

Blue is in there now.

I'll monitor it for a few flights to see how it goes.

One of my aileron servo arm screws had actually backed out a long way and was only holding on by a few threads.

I broke a pull-pull cable yesterday doing the rudder dance on the runway, that's what go me to having a look at the servos.

Just lucky I did otherwise I might have lost the plane if a servo disconnected.
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:56 PM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,288 Posts
Eh, you can fly the 71 with one aileron, even if the aileron is locked in a down position, don't ask me how I know
joshet89 is offline Find More Posts by joshet89
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:52 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyracer View Post
My 71" slick goes in the truck EVERYTIME I go out.... period!

Flyracer
Yup... my 70" went out every time until Gary bought it from me....and I imagine my 71" that I just about have finished will too....

Just out of curiosity....what is the round cowling plane in your picture?

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:05 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshet89 View Post
Eh, you can fly the 71 with one aileron, even if the aileron is locked in a down position, don't ask me how I know
Yep, samething with a 42", right aileron was halfway deflected, did not relize it until I could not fight the tourqe in a hover.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface