HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:14 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
could have caused stress cracks forward of the wing tube mount that were not visible to the naked eye due to rapid deceleration. once pressured to hold the wing in location the cracks propogated to failure.
That is a very plausible theory! Thanks

I'm trying to remember the events and note down what happened similar to what they do in the cognitive interview, like recall everything, changed perspective, etc. There are lots of litte things that I've noted that could play a factor, like too tight screws, heavy motor + battery, possible stress cracks, etc. This certainly seems like an accident that was caused by me some way but very hard to pinpoint exact problem, haha! I'm just glad no one was hurt and it crashed in a nice open area where no one was around
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2012, 05:22 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
The only other thing that I would believe is that the fuslage side had been damaged prior to assembly and that structure that the bolt would go through was either missing or already damaged.

There is just not enough space between the bolt head and the wing rib to have any material between it.

Too late to see but would interesting to see the fuslage side at the location of the bolt.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Jul 26, 2012, 06:00 PM
Pilot Francis 😄
United Kingdom, England, Brighton
Joined Jan 2012
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
The only other thing that I would believe is that the fuslage side had been damaged prior to assembly and that structure that the bolt would go through was either missing or already damaged.

There is just not enough space between the bolt head and the wing rib to have any material between it.

Too late to see but would interesting to see the fuslage side at the location of the bolt.

Dennis
I think it must be that! It must of been caused by me some how and hopefully I'll know some day, haha! Thanks for your help
RCPilot1234 is offline Find More Posts by RCPilot1234
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Best of Blackout
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:16 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,971 Posts
Does anyone here have experience with both the original 70" Slick and the 7" Slick and what the differences are? I just got a heck of a deal on a very cherry 70" and am curious what to expect. Such as if there are construction improvements on the 71" that I could implement in the 70" before I start using it, like lg weaknesses etc. Thanks.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:19 PM
United States, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Sep 2010
367 Posts
[QUOTE=jetinteriorguy;22275691]Does anyone here have experience with both the original 70" Slick and the 7" Slick and what the differences are? I just got a heck of a deal on a very cherry 70" and am curious what to expect. Such as if there are construction improvements on the 71" that I could implement in the 70" before I start using it, like lg weaknesses etc. Thanks.[/QUO

Congs, let me know when you maiden her. Would love to come and watch....
collinss is online now Find More Posts by collinss
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:21 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Does anyone here have experience with both the original 70" Slick and the 7" Slick and what the differences are? I just got a heck of a deal on a very cherry 70" and am curious what to expect. Such as if there are construction improvements on the 71" that I could implement in the 70" before I start using it, like lg weaknesses etc. Thanks.
The only differences I am aware of is an upgrade to the landing gear mount area, and slightly larger wings.

That said...what you can expect nothing but pure awesomeness!! The 70" Slick is a wonderful flying plane.....Nothing flies like a Slick!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:26 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
the motorbox for the gas is shorter on the 71
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:28 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
The only differences I am aware of is an upgrade to the landing gear mount area, and slightly larger wings.

That said...what you can expect nothing but pure awesomeness!! The 70" Slick is a wonderful flying plane.....Nothing flies like a Slick!!

SteveT
When I spoke to Noll today, he told me that the motorboxes are also different... at least different enough they're not interchangeable.

-G
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:28 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
the motorbox for the gas is shorter on the 71
That is true....due to the DLE30 rear carb, instead of the side carb version that the gas version was originally designed for....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:30 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
steve stuck in 89" land?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:32 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,723 Posts
Wha?????

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:38 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,971 Posts
[QUOTE=collinss;22275723]
Quote:
Does anyone here have experience with both the original 70" Slick and the 7" Slick and what the differences are? I just got a heck of a deal on a very cherry 70" and am curious what to expect. Such as if there are construction improvements on the 71" that I could implement in the 70" before I start using it, like lg weaknesses etc. Thanks.[/QUO

Congs, let me know when you maiden her. Would love to come and watch....
Sure thing man, I'll hopefully have it ready to go by the end of next week. I'm thinking of going to the soccer complex out by Bull Run Marina just off Henderson Road. Do you know where that is? I'll pm you when I'm going.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:44 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,971 Posts
Quote:

SteveT
I sort of figured something like this, it usually seems like the lg mount is one of the things on an improved version. I'm pretty fired up for this plane, it's my first Slick. I never really planned on getting into anything bigger than a 60" plane but got such a good deal I couldn't resist. The two main reasons for not getting this big were always the expense and the limits of where and when I can fly it. But I'll be good until soccer season starts then my flying opportunities will be very limited.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:00 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
DLE 55 ON A 71?

ah you changed it so I look like the crazy one...nicely played.

Quote:
Wha?????

SteveT
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:02 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
Ah yes the 'I never planned on going bigger' routine....a few of us know that one by heart.

Quote:
I sort of figured something like this, it usually seems like the lg mount is one of the things on an improved version. I'm pretty fired up for this plane, it's my first Slick. I never really planned on getting into anything bigger than a 60" plane but got such a good deal I couldn't resist. The two main reasons for not getting this big were always the expense and the limits of where and when I can fly it. But I'll be good until soccer season starts then my flying opportunities will be very limited.