HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:38 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
ooooh!! vey cool.. So hows the "vectored thrust" with the 18x8 for the low and slow stuff?
It honestly doesn't feel much different than the 380 with 19x10. Bit less prop torque to contend with in a hover, but otherwise it seems to feel much like the 19x10 did. But the speed factor is much better, and that is exactly what I was after!
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
I would be using electric and four digital servos. So, since you only use up 450mah in 8 flights, I could get away with a 1300mah battery?
I'm running a 2S 1550 25C GensAce into a BEC Pro for Regulated @ 6V to the Savox TG Servos. Works out great. No issues.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Last edited by heritageflyer; Jun 11, 2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Fixed the C rating
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:39 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
I'm using a 1000mah 3s pack on a 72SC electric. 8 flights sucks down about 450mah with four digi servos.
not sure of why to run a seperate battery to the servos? Why not just tap into the main leads with the BEC?
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:42 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -= GYRO =- View Post
not sure of why to run a seperate battery to the servos? Why not just tap into the main leads with the BEC?
Personal preference. I just wanted the receiver power separate from the main power.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:42 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
I'm running a 2S 1550 30C GensAce into a BEC Pro for Regulated @ 6V to the Savox TG Servos. Works out great. No issues.
OK, maybe I'll go with that. Except I'll go with the 25c.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:49 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
not sure of why to run a separate battery to the servos? Why not just tap into the main leads with the BEC?
I like Redundancy. Run through three bad packs (dropping cells) like I have in the past two months and watch your planes get beat up coming in. Then you can see why the redundant and isolated power sources.

Spektrum Receivers (and others have their limits too), like to reboot in air if you get a brownout on voltage. Just dumped the 57 SC in again yesterday off an old pack that couldn't cut the heat. Rebooted the Receiver and ESC. Going to add a separate 2S 1550 flight pak (borrowed from the 71) and 10A BEC to run the Rcvr and Servos now at 6v.

Same 6S 5000 pack with a weak cell got me twice in the 71 Slick, but at least in the Slick, I had a (Controlled) hard landing because the Receiver and Servos were isolated.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:51 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
OK, maybe I'll go with that. Except I'll go with the 25c.
It probably is a 25C. Have to look again...

If you are still looking for servos let me know.

Correct, 25C.
Last edited by heritageflyer; Jun 11, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:02 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Nov 2010
3,139 Posts
Quote:
I like Redundancy. Run through three bad packs (dropping cells) like I have in the past two months and watch your planes get beat up coming in. Then you can see why the redundant and isolated power sources.

Spektrum Receivers (and others have their limits too), like to reboot in air if you get a brownout on voltage. Just dumped the 57 SC in again yesterday off an old pack that couldn't cut the heat. Rebooted the Receiver and ESC. Going to add a separate 2S 1550 flight pak (borrowed from the 71) and 10A BEC to run the Rcvr and Servos now at 6v.

Same 6S 5000 pack with a weak cell got me twice in the 71 Slick, but at least in the Slick, I had a (Controlled) hard landing because the Receiver and Servos were isolated.
maybe I'm missing something, but on a 8s, (2x4s 4000 25c) if one entire pack dumps, the other pack is still 14-16v, and the BEC is regulating 6v out... so it shouldn't affect the BEC's ability. I wire my bec to the leads PRIOR to the ESC... so event if I drop a cell or 2, my BEC shouldn't loose power, right?
-= GYRO =- is offline Find More Posts by -= GYRO =-
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Apr 2009
66 Posts
What's different between the gas and electric versions ? I want to go electric but only the gas versions are in stock. The manual is kind of light in this area. The manual shows an electric and says the firewall-thrust washer distance is 80mm, which would lead me to believe the box is 90 mm longer on the electric. I could kluge a box extension, that way I could convert to gas later.
BOBHEND is offline Find More Posts by BOBHEND
Last edited by BOBHEND; Jun 11, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:06 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,665 Posts
Quote:
maybe I'm missing something, but on a 8s, (2x4s 4000 25c) if one entire pack dumps, the other pack is still 14-16v, and the BEC is regulating 6v out... so it shouldn't affect the BEC's ability. I wire my bec to the leads PRIOR to the ESC... so event if I drop a cell or 2, my BEC shouldn't loose power, right?
Sometimes cells open up...when they do...no power...period...but the same thing can happen to a receiver battery....it's all point of view, and preference...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:07 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
It probably is a 25C. Have to look again...

If you are still looking for servos let me know.
Was I ever looking for servos? But no, I won't need servos.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:22 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
Does anyone know how tall it is from right in front of the landing gear to the ground?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBHEND View Post
What's different between the gas and electric versions ? I want to go electric but only the gas versions are in stock. The manual is kind of light in this area. The manual shows an electric and says the firewall-thrust washer distance is 80mm, which would lead me to believe the box is 90 mm longer on the electric. I could kluge a box extension, that way I could convert to gas later.
Typically you just have to make some longer extensions for the electric motor. Open up some holes for cooling. The cowl is a little different(not as much access, stops at the firewall). The 72 and 74 are "gas" kits but work fine as electrics.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:55 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
So you've got some redundancy in Dual Packs. I don't in either plane, since one is 4S 4000 and the other is 6S 5000.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:56 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
Was I ever looking for servos? But no, I won't need servos.
Guess not, I thought you were working your way through components.