HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:58 AM
Hooked on 3DHS
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2009
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra View Post
seems to me a few drops of ca here and there would ensure a proper seat of the velcro on the tray if you don't trust just the adhesive... that's just me though. That or fight dropping your straps to the floor every single time you undo your packs.
i use a couple drops of thick CA where they cross under the battery tray to keep them from dropping. actually works rather nicely. also using straps with a buckle makes life much easier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
I always try to wrap my Velcro straps around a part of the airframe. I also put Velcro under the packs that gets glued down to the airframe...

SteveT
I used to use velcro to keep the packs from sliding after i strapped them down but when i started dual using packs separately and in series i found that a piece of the dubro foam rubber glued to the battery tray worked amazingly and actually made getting packs in and out much easier. now its all i use in all my planes it doesn't grab as much as velcro during pack changes and it has very nice grip on both the balsa and pack. i can't slide the pack at all without loosening the straps, even with quite a bit of force. I use this stuff

http://shop.dubro.com/products/produ...=513/101.0.1.1
lammbn is offline Find More Posts by lammbn
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:07 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn View Post
i use a couple drops of thick CA where they cross under the battery tray to keep them from dropping. actually works rather nicely. also using straps with a buckle makes life much easier

I used to use velcro to keep the packs from sliding after i strapped them down but when i started dual using packs separately and in series i found that a piece of the dubro foam rubber glued to the battery tray worked amazingly and actually made getting packs in and out much easier. now its all i use in all my planes it doesn't grab as much as velcro during pack changes and it has very nice grip on both the balsa and pack. i can't slide the pack at all without loosening the straps, even with quite a bit of force. I use this stuff

That is probably a good idea....and while I do glue Velcro down on the frame, I tend to limit how much Velcro I put on the batteries, so that it isn't too hard to get them out, but they still won't slide...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:19 AM
Nothin Ventured, Nothin Gained
United States, NC, Maiden
Joined Jul 2011
417 Posts
I use industrial strength velcro to hold the battery from sliding front to back, and then a 15" velcro strap to hold the batteries. The straps that I use have an eye in it that allows the tail to slide through. The strap is long enough I can easily release it far enough to remove batteries (even 2 4s 5000mah batteries) without having to pull the tail out of the eye. If I have a plane that doesn't need as much length on the strap, I just tighten it down and give a couple inches of overlap, and then loop it back around above the battery and secure the tail across the velcro strapping where it crosses the top of the battery. Never gives trouble getting the battery out after flights, holding the battery in flight, and because of the length, I don't have to worry about it dropping from the battery tray and having to "re-fish" it.

I picked up a handful of packs (6 straps to a pack) at Walmart for $3-4 each in the area where the lights and ceiling fans are.
harddrive8 is online now Find More Posts by harddrive8
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:21 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,139 Posts
Quote:
Align also has long straps that will go around two 6S packs. Amain Hobbies carries them, but is out of stock right now. They will of course cinch up tighter for smaller packs..

SteveT
Sort of what I mean about the right size. If you get them to long, they will only cinch up so much(the overlap part). IE I got some longer ones for my big vyper, because of the small fuse I went around the MB to give the straps more room. They are to long for the slick because I only do around the inside holes of the MB. If this makes sense.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Nov 2008
8,139 Posts
Quote:
I always try to wrap my Velcro straps around a part of the airframe. I also put Velcro under the packs that gets glued down to the airframe...

SteveT
+1....simple Welders for me. I also use Welders to glue velcro to the batterys. I'm a fuzzy side on the battery sort of guy.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:56 AM
No meat = no pudding
Machesney Park, IL
Joined Jul 2008
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammbn View Post
i found that a piece of the dubro foam rubber glued to the battery tray worked amazingly and actually made getting packs in and out much easier. now its all i use in all my planes it doesn't grab as much as velcro during pack changes and it has very nice grip on both the balsa and pack. i can't slide the pack at all without loosening the straps, even with quite a bit of force. I use this stuff

+1 Same here. I put that foam between my lipos and the wood. No sliding. I might be totally wrong about this, but I also kind of feel like it adds some shock absorption if/when I have a hard landing.
brwilkins is offline Find More Posts by brwilkins
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:19 AM
Joined Nov 2008
8,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brwilkins View Post
+1 Same here. I put that foam between my lipos and the wood. No sliding. I might be totally wrong about this, but I also kind of feel like it adds some shock absorption if/when I have a hard landing.
Foam keeps them from sliding...velcro keeps them from sliding and holds them down.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:21 PM
Account Closed
United States, OH, Groveport
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
The foam is a great idea guys! Experience has shown that velcro on the battery tray does absolutely nothing to help keep it from ejecting if the main strap comes loose or breaks anyway, so why not make it easier on yourself. Some people use shock cords instead of velcro straps, but I am not sold on them yet. Good tip.
rod.d is offline Find More Posts by rod.d
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:24 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,927 Posts
Just bought some of that foam on amazon with free shipping. Beats a trip to the LHS.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:00 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,436 Posts
I use industrial strength velcro on the tray and battery then use 2 nice D-ring straps. My batts are not going anywhere
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:56 PM
United States, NY, Medford
Joined Oct 2008
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
Just bought some of that foam on amazon with free shipping. Beats a trip to the LHS.

On small items of such you should buy at your LHS. Support the locals or else he will close his doors.
pryor808 is offline Find More Posts by pryor808
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:11 PM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,547 Posts
I use 5 minute epoxy to epoxy my battery to the tray before each flight. Only takes 5 minutes.
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:15 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
I use 5 minute epoxy to epoxy my battery to the tray before each flight. Only takes 5 minutes.
JB weld. with a PL8 charger you really never have to remove the battery anyway.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:19 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Sort of what I mean about the right size. If you get them to long, they will only cinch up so much(the overlap part). IE I got some longer ones for my big vyper, because of the small fuse I went around the MB to give the straps more room. They are to long for the slick because I only do around the inside holes of the MB. If this makes sense.
you can get shorter straps by pure-tech... I use this style strap down to my 42" Slick, they're pretty handy.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:52 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,927 Posts
If they had it in stock half the time it would be a different story believe me. My $4 foam is not keeping his doors open. I really dont need the locals anymore. They made sure of that by living in the 80's and inflating the prices through the roof. Thank you for your concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryor808 View Post
On small items of such you should buy at your LHS. Support the locals or else he will close his doors.
going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed