HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:52 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,404 Posts
guys sorry for posting this again but jay did some tweeking on the video and I really liked what he did with it

Matt's 71" Slick in OBX (4 min 0 sec)
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:56 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
Wow 3000 watts! How many amps and what Esc? I'm only running an Ice2 Hv 80. I know the comparison is not the same as we are running different voltages but am curious.
I will have to recheck the amprage as I dont remember but close to 100amps. I am running a Hv120

Again I am getting more flight time with this motor than I did with the other motors. As for the wattage it was like 2950 peak

I will charge up some batts tomorrow and recheck it all for you. I will even get a RPM reading for you
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:10 PM
Team CAPACITY
United States, IN, Osceola
Joined Feb 2008
1,361 Posts
Got my MB kit in and flew 3 more flights tonight. So thankful that we can buy repair kits for our planes. Otherwise i would have a brand new plane that would be trash. One more reason i love 3dhs.

PD
pstrdenver is offline Find More Posts by pstrdenver
Old Nov 22, 2011, 03:17 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,434 Posts
I was wondering what kind of throws you guys are running to get those fast spins at low speed? Recomended throws or tweeking them (all control serfaces). What is a good start point for expos? Has anyone found a reliable alternative to the hs-985? I was looking at the 5985 or another digital option without compromising performance and reliability. Any advice will be appreciated!
Thanks
Bryan
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:17 AM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
Sounds great and seems to have plenty of power even with a break in prop and tune.

I have a question for the addicts. I am having trouble trying to get the right prop for my 10s setup. I realize it's not the norm so I really don't have anybody's setups to go from except Brill who had this same setup in a 72 extra for a little while. First I tried the Apc 20x10 thin E-prop which seems decent @ 57.6 amps and 2247 watts. I recently tried a Xoar 20x10 which was @ 53 amps and 2104 watts. The performance was similar with less amps. This morning we started work a little later so I had a chance to try an Apc 20x12 wide E-prop which netted me 66.4 amps and 2600.6 watts. These numbers are not from the castle logging but from watts up meter. I'm was worried about heat with this prop so I took her up and flew around in my normal fashion and landed for a temp test. Motor was around 100 and the batteries were 85. After the 5 minute flight the motor was 110 and the batteries 93. The pullout was decent and speed was much improved as expected. This is the size prop Brill said he used on his 72 with this same setup so I gave it a shot. What I am looking for is a little more pull out. I don't really care about the speed. Should I try a 22x10 next? Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your input. It's my first bigger plane and not really sure what to expect out of it for power. Here is the unedited flight from this morning.
Watch in 720p.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtd57mR5Qtk
I'd try a 22x10 and see if you like that better. Watts should be similar to the 20x12. But you my not like the extra torque effect you get with the larger prop. Definitely watch for that in hovers and figure that into your selection of "best prop".
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Nov 22, 2011, 06:27 AM
customstandoffs
USA, AL, Madison
Joined Dec 2007
8,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
guys sorry for posting this again but jay did some tweeking on the video and I really liked what he did with it

http://vimeo.com/32359382
It's videos like this that make me want to go out and fly.

Great job Jay and Matt!
cmala is offline Find More Posts by cmala
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:03 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
I was wondering what kind of throws you guys are running to get those fast spins at low speed? Recomended throws or tweeking them (all control serfaces). What is a good start point for expos? Has anyone found a reliable alternative to the hs-985? I was looking at the 5985 or another digital option without compromising performance and reliability. Any advice will be appreciated!
Thanks
Bryan
From the 71 Slick Manual:

Control Throws - Throws are given both in degrees and in millimeters, measured at the end of the
surface (where the throw is greatest). A throw meter is included to measure these angles.

Ailerons- Low Rate 15 degrees 30% exponential
High Rate 30 degrees 70% exponential

Elevator- Low Rate 15 degrees 30% exponential
High Rate Maximum possible throw, at least 45 degrees 75% exponential

Rudder- Low Rate 30 degrees 30% exponential
High Rate 45 degrees 75% exponential
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:10 AM
Nothin Ventured, Nothin Gained
United States, NC, Hickory
Joined Jul 2011
396 Posts
Thanks guys for the well well wishes on the remaiden of the 71. I've been itching to get it back out and in the air again but with it being dark when I get off work, it's kinda killin that for now. Hopefully I'll have it back in the air some over Thanksgiving holiday.
harddrive8 is offline Find More Posts by harddrive8
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:46 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Thanks
Bryan
(high rates)
I am running 45 of aileron with 70ish% of expo, rudder is recommnded with 65% expo and elevtor is 50 with 70ish% expo

Low rates is just the recommended
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:25 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,404 Posts
OK did a test today on my power system

Motor: motrolfly 5320 300KV with a xoar 19x8 prop
esc: castle HV120
bec: castle bec prop at 6.3 volts
servos: hitec 7985mgs

Performance is whats in this video that TurnerM took for me:
Losifanatic's 71" Slick (6 min 29 sec)

Anyways here it is
Wattage: 2964
amprage 96.17
RPM: 7820

Now its 70 out side and I ran the whole 4000mah 8s setup down to a resting 14.8 volts. This was mostly full throttle and down to 1/2 throttle static testing. Batteries were 124 and the motor was 116. Again this was after a strenuous ground static testing from a full charge to a fully drained battery(well with 3.7V per cell left resting)

hope this helps

Oh the thrust 21pounds my plane only weighs 10 pounds. WOW thats awesome
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:39 AM
United States, VA, Berryville
Joined May 2010
363 Posts
That was some brave flying, I would have eaten the guard rail.
kellyzo6 is offline Find More Posts by kellyzo6
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:57 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,151 Posts
Losi got his slick right bro..I flew it at Hodges with the other motrolfly on it..Very nice.
i cant imagine that plane on 2900 watts of power...wow.We need to get back together for a huck.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:01 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
Losi got his slick right bro..I flew it at Hodges with the other motrolfly on it..Very nice.
i cant imagine that plane on 2900 watts of power...wow.We need to get back together for a huck.
Cant wait!
Old Nov 22, 2011, 03:27 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,434 Posts
Losi,
Nice flying! How do the servos handle those throws? I am from Alaska and occasionally fly in cold temps. I was wanting to make sure they will work for me, since servo performance is sacrificed with cold.
Bryan
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Nov 22, 2011, 03:38 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,404 Posts
The servos are holding up well I couldn't ask for better. Very responsive