SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:54 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve400 View Post
Maidened the slick withe the Mintor 33cc today!!!!! Here is a team orange slick shot.LOLOL Mine is the one in the rear. Scooter on here is in the middle. Pryor808 is in front. Scotts mini 42 is all the way up front!!!!
Mine was setup no down pressure inverted....Thing hauls a$$ All was well until my motor came loose on the second flight.... Landed no problem.....
Need to burn more fuel!!!!!!!!!!
Great to hear you got it down safely Steve. I had luck on my side today as well. after my 10th flight I noticed my left aileron looked off center. Upon inspection the servo horn screw on my Hs-985mg had backed all the way out. She was just hanging by a thread. I snugged them all down before my maiden and was confident in those locking washers but from now on I will be putting a dab of welders adhesive on them so they cannot back out. I will also be checking them often. Here is my 10th flight in which the screw came loose. Nothing special as I'm not as skilled as many of you but I like to make and post videos.
3dhobbyshop 71" AJ Slick 540 - 10th Flight (4 min 44 sec)
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:01 PM
USA, NY, Patchogue
Joined Aug 2009
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
I was curious how that Mintor engine was going to perform. They sure "look" good....

SteveT
Runs as good as it looks!!!! I was very pleased with the way it ran for the first flights... It was a bit of a pain with the choke. I just ripped a choke from another carb I had laying around. Its all good now. I will keep posting as it gets more fuel through and breaks in a bit....then going to change to a 20x6 xoar.
steve400 is offline Find More Posts by steve400
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:04 PM
USA, NY, Patchogue
Joined Aug 2009
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
Great to hear you got it down safely Steve. I had luck on my side today as well. after my 10th flight I noticed my left aileron looked off center. Upon inspection the servo horn screw on my Hs-985mg had backed all the way out. She was just hanging by a thread. I snugged them all down before my maiden and was confident in those locking washers but from now on I will be putting a dab of welders adhesive on them so they cannot back out. I will also be checking them often. Here is my 10th flight in which the screw came loose. Nothing special as I'm not as skilled as many of you but I like to make and post videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79zIAgFkpOM
Looking good!!! Yeah I locktite everything. servo screws too.. Thing is I locktited the engine mounts and they still came loose. I think I need some larger washers behind the fire wall. It looks llike the washers crushed in the wood a bit.
steve400 is offline Find More Posts by steve400
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:07 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,461 Posts
I had to loctite my servo screws too. Had my elevator and rudder come loose in flight. I still dont know how I still have the plane I had to buy a pack of servo screws b/c of the 3 I lost. (yeah the rudder came loose twice)
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Oct 23, 2011, 06:45 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,036 Posts
I put loctile on the screw that holds servo arm onto the servo. Without loctile or lock washer, they come loose after 15-20 flights or so. The lock washer helps a bit.
Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:44 PM
TEAM CANUCKER HUCKER
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Sep 2003
1,636 Posts
I have developed the habit of loctite-ing every metal to metal connection.
I've never had any issues.

Learned this from when I use to race off-road.
ssflylow is offline Find More Posts by ssflylow
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:04 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,605 Posts
after losing a plane on maiden due to a servo horn screw coming loose, I put a dab of CA on any and every nut/bolt that holds a screw in place even if it's a locknut. I will NOT lose another plane to the same mistake.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:11 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2010
497 Posts
Learned an important lesson today, barbed wire fences aren't as soft as they look. Flew my plane right into one when coming in on final (I swear I was high enough to clear it).

Needs to a patch on the bottom or the right wing and the elevator needs a little attention. Could have been worse I suppose but I feel legitimately bad when I hurt this plane. Especially since it's my daily flier and also one of my favorite planes ever.
94'325is is offline Find More Posts by 94'325is
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:13 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
ouch sorry 94
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:17 PM
TEAM CANUCKER HUCKER
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Sep 2003
1,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
after losing a plane on maiden due to a servo horn screw coming loose, I put a dab of CA on any and every nut/bolt that holds a screw in place even if it's a locknut. I will NOT lose another plane to the same mistake.

Do not use loctite on nylon (locknuts).
The loctite eats the nylon. If you want to double secure a nylock connection, use a small 1/4 drop of thin ca on the threads after the connection is secured.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:20 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnlh View Post
The loctite eats the nylon. If you want to double secure a nylock connection, use a small 1/4 drop of thin ca on the threads after the connection is secured.
LOL I believe he said he used CA if you reread his post.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:23 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,036 Posts
Quote:
I guess there's no need to loctile nylon, IMO.

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:23 PM
TEAM CANUCKER HUCKER
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Sep 2003
1,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominator06 View Post
LOL I believe he said he used CA if you reread his post.

Ahh, the old I can edit before you can read trick.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:25 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,605 Posts
Quote:
Yep, that's what i use, CA, not locktite.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:35 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,154 Posts
Tamiya makes a plastic compatible threadlock that does work well when used around plastics.....Just sayin....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...