HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:10 PM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,639 Posts
well, i flew the 71 slick for the first time (for me anyway). Big thanks to Grubby for helping set it up and trim it out. Using 8S setup with Gens Ace 4000s. Flew great and grubby harrier landed it on the first flight. I took it up the second time and kept it nice and high and easy. Landing was a little bouncy as i'm rusty on the sticks, but she's in once piece, so i'm happy. I did manage to lose the small piano wire that attaches the tail wheel to the rudder. Otherwise, she flies great. Now i need more packs or an upgraded charging system to lug around to the field.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:37 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
well, i flew the 71 slick for the first time (for me anyway). Big thanks to Grubby for helping set it up and trim it out. Using 8S setup with Gens Ace 4000s. Flew great and grubby harrier landed it on the first flight. I took it up the second time and kept it nice and high and easy. Landing was a little bouncy as i'm rusty on the sticks, but she's in once piece, so i'm happy. I did manage to lose the small piano wire that attaches the tail wheel to the rudder. Otherwise, she flies great. Now i need more packs or an upgraded charging system to lug around to the field.
Just took my 70" out for the first time in a while. Forgot how much I loved it! It's a great pop top machine, and does precision really well now that I've gained some skillz from the 62" Osiris.

Get the PL8 charger and a parallel board for those Gen Ace packs. I am running 4s 3800 (x2), and it takes less than 20 minutes to charge two of them off of my car at 30 amps (the max for the parallel board). With 3 sets of packs I can almost fly non-stop. At home with my 24v power supply I can go from a storage charge on all six of packs, to ready to go in 20 minutes!
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:09 PM
Joined May 2010
2,639 Posts
i'd like to get the PL8, but man they are expensive. I was thinking icharger 308?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:27 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
Quote:
i'd like to get the PL8, but man they are expensive. I was thinking icharger 308?
i love my icharger, epbuddy has some great prices
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:47 PM
MD1 HACK
USA, OH, Wadsworth
Joined Jan 2010
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
i love my icharger, epbuddy has some great prices
+1
Epbuddy is great to deal with and when your getting paraboards as a part of the deal it's hard to beat!
joshet89 is online now Find More Posts by joshet89
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:57 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,522 Posts
Quote:
If you're going to fly mostly electric, the charger is the heart of your system. It is expensive, but i believe that it has saved me money do to the following:-I need less batteries because I can charge so fast-My packs last longer. I storage charge my batteries now because it doesn't take me 3 hours to get ready for flying anymore. I can have all of my packs charged in 20 minutes and be out the door. My packs used to puff from being charged all of time.-My packs last longer because I don't hit LVC anymore. The PL8 shows pack charge level in %...no more guessing how far I am draining my packs in a flight.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:05 PM
Account Closed
United States, OH, Groveport
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
If you're going to fly mostly electric, the charger is the heart of your system. It is expensive, but i believe that it has saved me money do to the following:-I need less batteries because I can charge so fast-My packs last longer. I storage charge my batteries now because it doesn't take me 3 hours to get ready for flying anymore. I can have all of my packs charged in 20 minutes and be out the door. My packs used to puff from being charged all of time.-My packs last longer because I don't hit LVC anymore. The PL8 shows pack charge level in %...no more guessing how far I am draining my packs in a flight.
+1. Funny, I thought the same thing today. I have an older Hyperion 610 inet charger and it has been great. But yes it was expensive at the time.
rod.d is offline Find More Posts by rod.d
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:46 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
search is my friend.
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Last edited by racerman27410; Oct 10, 2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: learned how to search
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:46 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman27410 View Post
what's the approximate AUW for the 71" slick setup for electric ?
read the 3d hobby shop product page. i would give you a link, but you have obviously not looked at it
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:55 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,175 Posts
Mine weighs 9.5 ish lbs if I remember correctly
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:56 PM
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Dec 2006
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
read the 3d hobby shop product page. i would give you a link, but you have obviously not looked at it

LOL I was just getting ready to edit my post.... search is my friend after all.

thanks for your help.
racerman27410 is offline Find More Posts by racerman27410
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:23 PM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Hey there guys. I have decided my next airframe is going to be the 71" slick. I will hopefully be ordering before the end of the week. I'm leaning towards the Orange. I won a ARF 50cc pitts m-12s bipe 2 weeks ago at a local fun fly and have it sold. The guys is supposed to be picking it up tomorrow evening so as soon as I get the loot I will be ordering it up. Gonna run it on a 10s setup I already have in a Cap 232 I just built. The Cap is just not my style so it is headed down the road. I've got an Ice2 Hv80 and a Motrolfly DM 5320-200kv motor. I have 2 sets of Gens Ace 5s 3300 packs to get started. I also have a Bec pro in the cap that's run off of a 3s 1800 mah lipo for the Rx and servos. Do you think I need this for safety? I put it in the cap for safety and for extra weight to balance the CG. I would like to keep this as light as possible due to the extra battery weight of 10s. The guy who is buying the 50cc Bipe only wants the airframe and DLE 55 motor so I now have 7 Hitec 985mg servos to use and a 425bb which I won't end up using at all. Hopefully these servos will be fine. I see they are recommended for the low end setup so I'm thinking I will be ok. I'm looking forward to getting this plane and getting it up in the air. Any ideas or helpful hints would be appreciated. Happy flying, Tom
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:50 PM
Joined May 2010
2,639 Posts
i'm using 985s and they work great.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:42 AM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,494 Posts
I am willing to bet that must people here are using 985's they are perfect for this plane.
skippy78 is offline Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Oct 11, 2011, 05:40 AM
Team Hillbilly
United States, MD, Dundalk
Joined Feb 2009
3,492 Posts
Yeah I figured they would be fine if Ben recommends them. Works out well that I just happen to have 7 brand new ones out of that Bipe I won sitting here ready to go. Any thoughts about running a second battery for the Rx and servos? Just trying to figure out if I need to order a switch as well.
tominator06 is offline Find More Posts by tominator06