HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2011, 02:53 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
i've got the Castle BEC Pro and I'm trying to set the BEC output voltage to 6V to use with the HS985 servos. I'm using the field link card. When I connect the field link to the BEC Pro using the 2 line extension (male connector on both ends) and then connect the 8S lipo batteries, nothing happens.... the field link card has no power. On the back of the field link card, it said you need to use a Y connector if using with BEC Pro products? What am i doing wrong? I went to castle's website and couldn't find anything useful to help me troubleshoot. Any help is appreciated.
I never could figure out how to get the silly thing to work, and have been planning on selling mine to somebody for a nominal fee....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2011, 03:53 AM
Jim H
Memphis
Joined Dec 2004
559 Posts
The field link card needs to be powered, that's what the Y adaptor is for.
Plug the Y into the card, then plug the 2 line extension into the Y, then plug a rec batt into the Y.

Jim
Fool is offline Find More Posts by Fool
Old Oct 09, 2011, 04:00 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,523 Posts
Quote:
i've got the Castle BEC Pro and I'm trying to set the BEC output voltage to 6V to use with the HS985 servos. I'm using the field link card. When I connect the field link to the BEC Pro using the 2 line extension (male connector on both ends) and then connect the 8S lipo batteries, nothing happens.... the field link card has no power. On the back of the field link card, it said you need to use a Y connector if using with BEC Pro products? What am i doing wrong? I went to castle's website and couldn't find anything useful to help me troubleshoot. Any help is appreciated.
Try this:

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...d_link_air.pdf

You need diagram #2. The Link needs to be powered by an outside source (shows another BEC, ESC, or flight pack being used), and the BEC Pro nees to be powered as well it looks like. The picture is a bit confusing because I think that the BEC Pro in the picture is just being used to power the field link. The BEC Pro that you want to program will actually take the place of the green "HV ESC". Definately could use a better diagram.
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.
Last edited by G.P.; Oct 09, 2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:28 AM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by relax1 View Post
I being flying my slick71" on 6cell with the Hacker A50-16L/ICE100/ 19 x 10APC for quite sometime now. Lately all power to the motor have been lost resulting in a dead with broke landing gear.
The two flights have been around the 3minute mark. Nothing seems to be getting hot.
Can anyone shed light on this problem? Is the ICE100 going bad maybe?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
Luis
Did you make sure the LVC setup in your ESC is low enough? How old the LiPo packs? Also, you may want to check and maybe try to reseat the throttle cable from the ESC to the Rx just to make sure nothing is getting loose in flight.

Edit: Reason for making sure the throttle cable from ESC to Rx is tight, is -> As what I know, the ESC will stop the motor if it lose signal from the Rx.
ricoalonso is online now Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Last edited by ricoalonso; Oct 09, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 10:15 AM
Account Closed
United States, OH, Groveport
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by relax1 View Post
I being flying my slick71" on 6cell with the Hacker A50-16L/ICE100/ 19 x 10APC for quite sometime now. Lately all power to the motor have been lost resulting in a dead with broke landing gear.
The two flights have been around the 3minute mark. Nothing seems to be getting hot.
Can anyone shed light on this problem? Is the ICE100 going bad maybe?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
Luis
Did you still have servo control? Could be lvc I guess, seems unlikely if your voltage was normal afterwards. But dead motor with servo control smells like lvc. I always disable lvc, lipos are cheaper to replace than airframes. Just set your timer and adjust your flight times depending on how it feels. If it starts feeling like it is losing power then land.
rod.d is offline Find More Posts by rod.d
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:02 AM
Yury
Россия, город Москва, город Москва
Joined Nov 2010
96 Posts
I made 5 flights today without timeout on my 71 Slick with a50 16s and 6s battary with xoar 20x8, when I was hovering near myself I smelled burnt electronics. I landed and found that the smell was from the motor (but it was not burned) it was very hot I couldn't even touch it. During my maiden tests this setup gave me 1895 watt at 82A max on a fully charged battery. What are you guys think? What should I do with the motor? Is is a good idea to try it with a smaller prop or just throw it away
uraplayer is offline Find More Posts by uraplayer
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:14 AM
Eastern, NC
Joined Dec 2007
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraplayer View Post
I made 5 flights today without timeout on my 71 Slick with a50 16s and 6s battary with xoar 20x8, when I was hovering near myself I smelled burnt electronics. I landed and found that the smell was from the motor (but it was not burned) it was very hot I couldn't even touch it. During my maiden tests this setup gave me 1895 watt at 82A max on a fully charged battery. What are you guys think? What should I do with the motor? Is is a good idea to try it with a smaller prop or just throw it away

Think you should have propped down to the rec. 18x8 or 18x10
M Carr is online now Find More Posts by M Carr
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:17 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P. View Post
Try this:

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...d_link_air.pdf

You need diagram #2. The Link needs to be powered by an outside source (shows another BEC, ESC, or flight pack being used), and the BEC Pro nees to be powered as well it looks like. The picture is a bit confusing because I think that the BEC Pro in the picture is just being used to power the field link. The BEC Pro that you want to program will actually take the place of the green "HV ESC". Definately could use a better diagram.
Still not entirely clear. So I do this, yes?:

1. Take bottom of Y connector and hook up to Field Link card?
2. Take one end of Y connector and hook up to RX pack?
3. Take other end of Y connector and hook up to BEC Pro?

Where do I need to use the two wire jumper that was included with the BEC pro? Do i still need to connect the Lipo Motor batteries?
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:31 AM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,039 Posts
Quote:
You are really pushing it with the 20x8. 19x8 or 18x10 might be the max prop you want on the 16s.
Also, Xoar is wayy better than APC.

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Oct 09, 2011, 12:02 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,523 Posts
Quote:
Still not entirely clear. So I do this, yes?:

1. Take bottom of Y connector and hook up to Field Link card?
2. Take one end of Y connector and hook up to RX pack?
3. Take other end of Y connector and hook up to BEC Pro?

Where do I need to use the two wire jumper that was included with the BEC pro? Do i still need to connect the Lipo Motor batteries?
I don't have a field link. I just read the instructions and did an RCG search on the subject.
G.P. is online now Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 12:08 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
Yeah a 20x8 is a bit to much prop for that motor
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Oct 09, 2011, 12:32 PM
Yury
Россия, город Москва, город Москва
Joined Nov 2010
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vienquach View Post
You are really pushing it with the 20x8. 19x8 or 18x10 might be the max prop you want on the 16s.
Also, Xoar is wayy better than APC.

Vien
Yeah, but what should I do with that motor? Is it a risk to fly it once more? The motor still smells like it was burned. Is there any method to test it before flying?

Thanks, Yury
uraplayer is offline Find More Posts by uraplayer
Old Oct 09, 2011, 12:49 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,343 Posts
Thought I would share a project in progress. I am painting a 330 to match my 71" Slick. I did this when I flew a Extrem Flight Extra 300 EXP as well - check out my blog for pictures of it. This scheme does not look complicated and it's not really but it is slow waiting for the paint to dry to make again. The bottom is done and the flip side of the fuse is next. The airbrushed outline of the stars is last. I can wait.

Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Oct 09, 2011, 12:50 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,039 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, but what should I do with that motor? Is it a risk to fly it once more? The motor still smells like it was burned. Is there any method to test it before flying?

Thanks, Yury
You can buy a new one. I have one extra.

Prop down to Xoar 19x8 or 18x10. Run it on the ground with a watt meter and check motor temp and see that if the motor still run normally as it did before.
Btw, what is the ambient temp at your place ?

Also, you could build stuffs in the cowl to help drawing air to the motor.

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Oct 09, 2011, 01:30 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Thought I would share a project in progress. I am painting a 330 to match my 71" Slick. I did this when I flew a Extrem Flight Extra 300 EXP as well - check out my blog for pictures of it. This scheme does not look complicated and it's not really but it is slow waiting for the paint to dry to make again. The bottom is done and the flip side of the fuse is next. The airbrushed outline of the stars is last. I can wait.

Awesome job!! Going to look fantastic when it's in the air.
Capt. Roll is online now Find More Posts by Capt. Roll