HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:17 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2009
46 Posts
Steve,

I appreciate the response. I am using the plate as well. Should I just take my xacto to the slot and do some more digging?
gwillia99 is offline Find More Posts by gwillia99
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:38 PM
Pain? I know pain!
Weldon Spring, Missouri
Joined Mar 2005
1,517 Posts
Wondering about power. Well I found out today my 30 and 35C Turnigy batteries just are not what they used to be. I bought a couple 40C Zippy's and was I amazed at the difference. I was wondering why I could only pull 1980 something total watts on my Hacker A50-12L and now it's pulling 2321 watts. WOW that is a huge difference. No wonder it felt so much more powerful on the last few flights!

From the many posts I read I thought the bottle neck was the Ice 100 so I bought a Hacker X-80 Opto Pro 3D ESC dirt cheap brand new. I figured I would change it out to get some extra watts. So 1 question is, with the same everything but esc will the Hacker truly put out more wattage? I'll prolly just change it out for shits and grins and see but like a kid who can't wait for Christmas thought I'd see if someone could give me a spoiler. Question 2, since the size is rather large including the fan did you guys put it on the side or bottom of the motor box?
Question 3, What is the extra red wire for? It comes out right by the Red input power wire. Pre-charge circuit maybe? The instructions mention nothing of this.

See the pictures,

Thanks,

Tom
litespeed is offline Find More Posts by litespeed
Old Aug 17, 2011, 09:59 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillia99 View Post
Steve,

I appreciate the response. I am using the plate as well. Should I just take my xacto to the slot and do some more digging?
Yes, but be careful. Sometimes just a bit of glue gets in the wrong place and blocks things up....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:07 PM
Joined May 2009
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
Yes, but be careful. Sometimes just a bit of glue gets in the wrong place and blocks things up....

SteveT
I saw in an earlier post in this thread about using a hot knife. I am not familiar with a hot knife. When i looked it up on tower it looked like a soldering iron could I use my cheap soldering iron as a hot knife?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:09 PM
"Failure is not an option"
West Babylon NY
Joined Dec 2006
528 Posts
I had the same problem and a fellow addict gave me a tip to try a heated exacto knife. Worked like a charm.
TOFAST4U2C is offline Find More Posts by TOFAST4U2C
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:10 PM
Joined May 2009
46 Posts
Tofast thanks for the advice, I will give that a shot.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 10:15 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillia99 View Post
I saw in an earlier post in this thread about using a hot knife. I am not familiar with a hot knife. When i looked it up on tower it looked like a soldering iron could I use my cheap soldering iron as a hot knife?
A thin soldering iron could be used, or even a heated Exacto knife, however, a "Hot-knife" is a really handy inexpensive tool to have..

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Aug 18, 2011, 08:03 AM
United States, FL, Marianna
Joined Apr 2011
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveTtoooo View Post
A thin soldering iron could be used, or even a heated Exacto knife, however, a "Hot-knife" is a really handy inexpensive tool to have..

SteveT
Thats the nice thing about building these airframes in my dental office. I just walk in to an op, tell the assistants to look away, and drill them out. Just like a cavity! Ah the small of saw dust in the morning

When I am blocked, I sometimes put in the "other" smaller side of the horn. See if you can get it to seat anywhere along the length of the cutout. This will tell you where you need to remove material.
dentalpain is offline Find More Posts by dentalpain
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:04 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
so...in october you will be sendign yours to columbus
Well realistically it would get several test flights there wouldn't it? I just hope the airframe lives through 100 flights lol. I'll have to be,eh-hem,conservative.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:05 AM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
Well realistically it would get several test flights there wouldn't it? I just hope the airframe lives through 100 flights lol. I'll have to be,eh-hem,conservative.
hahaha. im real tempted to get some of those new savox brushless servos
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Aug 18, 2011, 02:08 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeed View Post
Wondering about power. Well I found out today my 30 and 35C Turnigy batteries just are not what they used to be. I bought a couple 40C Zippy's and was I amazed at the difference. I was wondering why I could only pull 1980 something total watts on my Hacker A50-12L and now it's pulling 2321 watts. WOW that is a huge difference. No wonder it felt so much more powerful on the last few flights!

From the many posts I read I thought the bottle neck was the Ice 100 so I bought a Hacker X-80 Opto Pro 3D ESC dirt cheap brand new. I figured I would change it out to get some extra watts. So 1 question is, with the same everything but esc will the Hacker truly put out more wattage? I'll prolly just change it out for shits and grins and see but like a kid who can't wait for Christmas thought I'd see if someone could give me a spoiler. Question 2, since the size is rather large including the fan did you guys put it on the side or bottom of the motor box?
Question 3, What is the extra red wire for? It comes out right by the Red input power wire. Pre-charge circuit maybe? The instructions mention nothing of this.

See the pictures,

Thanks,

Tom
That is a built in spark arrestor circuit, which eliminates the big "snap" when you hook up your batteries. There should be instructions with the ESC on how to hook it up. If not, contact Aero-model.com and they can tell you how to set it up. It's not difficult if you are not using Deans, but somewhat so if you are. Basically, your black wires from battery and ESC, get plugged in first, then you have to have another read wire (other than your main) coming from the red battery lead, that you hook the small red wire from the esc to. This has a resistor in it, and charges up the capacitors, at a lower rate, so that when you plug the main red leads in, no "snap"...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Aug 18, 2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:16 PM
Eastern, NC
Joined Dec 2007
689 Posts
Just fold up the little red wire and dont bother with it. IMO its not really needed at the 6s voltage level.
M Carr is offline Find More Posts by M Carr
Old Aug 18, 2011, 04:23 PM
Pain? I know pain!
Weldon Spring, Missouri
Joined Mar 2005
1,517 Posts
That's what I was thinking.....

Any other ideas on my other questions?

Tom
litespeed is offline Find More Posts by litespeed
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:21 PM
Eastern, NC
Joined Dec 2007
689 Posts
My thoughts,

Q 1: I tested one of the Hacker x80's a while back. I dont remember noticing any big difference in wattage personally. One thing I didnt like about the Hacker controller was the throttle response seemed a bit slow for my liking. (Some may like it some may not) Castle has the upper hand there IMO. Other than that the x80 seemed to work just fine for the little testing that I did.

Q 2: I dont think it matters where its mounted.. so, I say just pick a spot with good airflow and wherever its the easiest to get it mounted.
M Carr is offline Find More Posts by M Carr
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:22 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by litespeed View Post
That's what I was thinking.....

Any other ideas on my other questions?

Tom
It might take less than 5 mins to replace to ICE 100 with the Hacker.
Try it on the ground to see if you get more watts, and also feel if there's a difference in the throttle response.

Btw, how much did you mean dirt cheap ?

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach