Old Jul 17, 2011, 07:02 AM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppedlow View Post
Attachment 4149673Attachment 4149678

Anyone else running a Xoar electric wood prop? Mine makes a god awful noise! The prop starts whining! Like it's going to come apart! I tried a Bolly 19X10, and the noise went away. It's some kind of vibration at certain RPMs.
I just started using the Xoar 18x8E prop and it sounds good not at all what you are describing.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2011, 07:16 AM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
I just started using the Xoar 18x8E prop and it sounds good not at all what you are describing.
+1. Have Xoar 18x8 on two models and they are very quiet indeed. Have Xoars on some smaller models and find them to be very quite too. What else could be making the noise?
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:11 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Jan 2007
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppedlow View Post
Attachment 4149673Attachment 4149678

Some flying today with the 71". This thing is rock solid in a harrier, and hover like a champ! Anyone else running a Xoar electric wood prop? Mine makes a god awful noise! The prop starts whining! Like it's going to come apart! I tried a Bolly 19X10, and the noise went away. It's some kind of vibration at certain RPMs. The prop seems way to flexible for a 20". Going to order a Mejzlik on Monday, and maybe an APC. Anyone have good luck with a Voxx from PA? My 71" pulls a 20X8 without bogging down or getting hot, but I needs more punch!
I only xoar these days, very quiet and pull strong. But I always balance my props.
twilkers is offline Find More Posts by twilkers
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:02 AM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
Xoar electric, 18 x 8 = good.
PinkYakRC is offline Find More Posts by PinkYakRC
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:21 AM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping View Post
It doesn't look like I will be able to achieve a neutral CG without adding tail weight in my Slick. Does anyone have a safe method of adding weight to the tail of a gas model?
Depends on how important aesthetics are to you. Personally, they matter very little to me. If you're adding a handfull of ounces, I use those premade stick-on weights onto the bottom of the tailwheel bracket or tailwheel arm and add an extra later of clear tape to make sure it stays put.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:39 AM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
5,093 Posts
For those of you using the ICE 100 on your 71" Slick:
  • Are you using the Fixed Endpoint ESC setting or Auto Calibrating?
  • If you are using Fixed are you using it with a throttle curve program in your RX or no throttle curve? My transmitter only has throttle curve in Heli mode.
  • If using Auto Calibrating throttle mode (default ESC program) are you powering on mid throttle and running up to full throttle back to idle throttle calibration every flight as recommended?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:05 PM
Advocating for RC Aviation
USA, NJ, Phillipsburg
Joined Jul 2010
1,390 Posts
Most here will be running with fixed endpoint. Perhaps a few using curves?
danamania is offline Find More Posts by danamania
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:18 PM
Joined Jul 2006
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
For those of you using the ICE 100 on your 71" Slick:
  • Are you using the Fixed Endpoint ESC setting or Auto Calibrating?
  • If you are using Fixed are you using it with a throttle curve program in your RX or no throttle curve? My transmitter only has throttle curve in Heli mode.
  • If using Auto Calibrating throttle mode (default ESC program) are you powering on mid throttle and running up to full throttle back to idle throttle calibration every flight as recommended?
I'm using Ice 100 on my Velox. I set it to use fixed endpoints last night and got 10 flights on it this morning, I like the throttle response much better. It makes the RPM correlate with the stick position (so no throttle curve needed), where auto-calibrate didn't seem to do that.
rmr24 is offline Find More Posts by rmr24
Old Jul 17, 2011, 01:23 PM
nsg
Yardley, PA
Joined Sep 2006
4,140 Posts
I run fixed endpoints in all my Castle ESC (which are pretty much all I use for balsa planes). I set end points in my Tx to get the full range & no dead zones. I don't use throttle curves to tweak throttle response; however, on larger planes I do use an alternative curve controlled by the idle switch to set up about 8% idle.
nsg is offline Find More Posts by nsg
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:42 PM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Joined Jun 2006
759 Posts
Almost lost my 71 today. Was flying around 4 min into the flight the power seemed very odd.Made a pass and I was loosing power by the sec...Decided to bring it in to land and on the downwind the motor shut off. I glider her down and set it down at the far end of the runway. I bump the throttle to see if I had anything and the prop moved, but decided not to taxie it back.. I started walking towards the airplane then poof a cloud of white smoke blew out. I ran to the plan took the canopy off and the esc was on fire. Yank the lipo out first thing. The fire then slowly went out by itself. There is nothing left of the esc and the fire ended up melting part of the cowl on the bottom.

After letting everything cool down I think turn the prop and the motor seemed very sluggish.....idk if I had a motor issue then the esc was getting to hot or the esc got too hot and went out. I believe something went wrong with the motor and the esc couldnt handle it. Luckily the plane is in one piece and I was able to get the lipo out in time. I could use a new cowl for looks, but this one will do. I have yet to take the motor and esc out for total inspection. Plan to do that tomorrow.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old Jul 17, 2011, 04:11 PM
Bridgeton, NJ
Joined Mar 2009
2,083 Posts
That blows, which ESC and motor did you have in it?
cayars is offline Find More Posts by cayars
Old Jul 17, 2011, 07:10 PM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Joined Jun 2006
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayars View Post
That blows, which ESC and motor did you have in it?
Castle ICE 85 and Hacker 50/12
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:08 PM
Florida
Joined Jan 2010
496 Posts
At least the planes still in one piece!

What prop and batteries were you running? Also how hot was it outside and was the ESC getting good airflow? That's really weird that it went pop on the ground like that.
94'325is is offline Find More Posts by 94'325is
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:12 PM
On loan to Texas
Joined Oct 2005
5,093 Posts
What sim's are you guys flying? I have Realflight 3.5 that I found a 40% Slick but I cannot find a 71" or 51" for the 3.5. I hate to upgrade to 5.5 just for that because basically it fly's the same as 3.5 and all the new features are just fluff. I have Clearview as well but have not used it in a while.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:20 PM
UAV R&D Pilot/MC/PO
Joined Jun 2006
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94'325is View Post
At least the planes still in one piece!

What prop and batteries were you running? Also how hot was it outside and was the ESC getting good airflow? That's really weird that it went pop on the ground like that.
Funny thing is it was cooler today than last week and last week I ran a 20x10 wood xoar. It was running WAY too hot last week so I decided to switch to 19x8 apc that I had. ESC was running way cooler the first 3 flights I did. The batteries are 6s 5000 mah.

The motor is rough when you turn the prop. I think something may of happen to the motor in flight and the esc couldnt take it. I will open everything up this week to see what is up.